129 members have voted

1. 1. What size MTB frame do you ride

• XS
    • S
    • M
    • L
    • XL
    • XXL

Family of mine have a small guesthouse in knysna, and after getting a few queries want to buy a fleet of rental bikes that can be hired out to guests to ride around town and some of the trails in the area, and have asked me for advice.

So I started giving it some thought, and the biggest issue I can think of is what sizes of bike to keep to make sure you can accommodate most requests/as much of the spectrum as possible. 

The would probably mostly be renting out two or three bikes at a time, but I suggested getting a fleet of 6 bikes, so there is always some extra capacity and also to cover all the sizes. But now, should they get 2 small/2Med/2Large or is the average local rider in a different size bracket. What are the most common sizes? 

amongst my group of friends is 80% large, with the odd tall bugger on an XL or shorty on a medium, but then with the ladies it’s much more small and medium. 

so just trying to get an indication of the most common frame sizes, so as best to advise them. Makes sense to have extras of the more common sizes, and just singles or none of the extreme sizes 

So far, based on the above, my thinking is:

6 bikes total:

1x Small

2x Medium

2x Large

1x XL

Edited by AllTerrain

i would get the medium /large/small bikes.... as axl person should be able to fit on a large bike.. etc

i myself ride a 18', and i'm 6ft 1'

Thanks Mathew, was my thinking too. I generally ride a large (18/19inch), too, and I’m 5ft9, but I have long legs vs my upper body. But for a casual ride I could easily ride a medium for a few hours too, or an XL also if I really had to. 

So will probably just stick to S/M/L frames, but I’m more interested in knowing which size to get more of. Based on the responses so far, I would go for 3x Large, 2x Medium and 1x Small. 

but will wait for a few more responses and see how it changes. Also need to consider it’s probably a largely male audience here (I’m guessing), so need to consider ladies as well…. So maybe 2xSmall and just 1xMedium

You will need an XL as well. Anyone taller than 1.88 will not fit on a L as seatpost can’t extend far enough. And in SA tall guys are not uncommon. Just my immediate friends and family are 6x XL, 1x L (me), and 1x M

So far, I’m thinking the following make up would be best, I have added this to the original post, and will update it there as more poll responses come in.

1x Small

2x Mediums

2x Large

1x X-Large

my reasoning being, with this set up, if you end up needing more smalls - most small size riders will be okay on a medium with the seat slammed, and the shortest possible stem….

Large seems to be the most popular, but in a pinch you can “stretch” a medium with a longer stem.

two or more very tall riders and you will have a problem…. But this is always going to be a compromise somewhere.

I imagine lots of couples renting bikes, so the mediums/smalls will be in demand there. Just hope when the borders re-open one day they aren’t flooded with Dutch and Scandinavian guests…. Then the smaller sizes would be obsolete????

I would be wary of what you are asking for as there is a lot of bias, the "guests" could easily be a couple or a family in your scenario but here you are getting the answers of a pretty engaged cyclist. My example would be i answered medium but if i was traveling with my family i would need 1M and 3S. just my 2c. 

8 minutes ago, Marcv said:

I would be wary of what you are asking for as there is a lot of bias, the "guests" could easily be a couple or a family in your scenario but here you are getting the answers of a pretty engaged cyclist. My example would be i answered medium but if i was traveling with my family i would need 1M and 3S. just my 2c. 

Thanks Mark, I am keeping that in mind. The flip side is ending up buying more bikes to cater across the full spectrum, but sitting with XL and S frames that hardly ever get rented out. Which is why I think keeping a collection of shorter and longer stems as well, and maybe some offset seatposts also, would help balance out the differences. 

when renting a bike on holiday, one also can’t always expect a perfect fit. It’s for leisure riding, will probably end up bieng either a bunch of entry level Scott Scales or Spez rockhoppers. Once in a while a client might have to make do with a less than ideal fit.

if it was a bike park renting out full sus trail bikes, people could be more demanding about perfect fits, but from your guest house for a R250/R300 bucks a day, I think you need to be willing to lower your standards a little if need be, and ride the slightly too big bike, so your wife/GF can be on a bike that fits her like a glove. 

id say the need for an XL probably outstrips a small in this country. Smalls are on the verge of being kids sizes. 

But then....if i's purely recreational id just get 2 mediums and 2 larges. one Medium built a bit cramped and one Large built a bit stretched. That would cover most people. As someone who rides XL+ myself...it wouldnt totally break me messing around on a L for some recreational fun.  

14 hours ago, Marcv said:

This ????

A poll on bikehub is going to give you some pretty skewed results, and they might not be as useful as you might think. Basically, you've asked a bunch of people who already own bikes, and would likely take their bike with them on holiday to Knysna if they wanted to ride, what size bike they already own. So it's likely that 90% of your respondents aren't your target market in renting bikes at the guesthouse.

A better poll would be: "If you were going to rent a bike on holiday in Knysna, what size would it be?". And then also have a "I'll just take my own / not rent a bike" option. That way you'll get a better picture of what size bikes people's wives and kids that don't have bikes ride, which might be more useful than knowing what size bike I already own. 

32 minutes ago, MORNE said:

id say the need for an XL probably outstrips a small in this country. Smalls are on the verge of being kids sizes. 

But then....if i's purely recreational id just get 2 mediums and 2 larges. one Medium built a bit cramped and one Large built a bit stretched. That would cover most people. As someone who rides XL+ myself...it wouldnt totally break me messing around on a L for some recreational fun.  

Thanks for the insight Morne. The problem come in with ladies, there are often females that will be very uncomfortable stretching to fit on a medium, so I think there is a need for at least one small and one XL, and after 60od poll responses, the numbers are seeming to say the same. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a small fleet of decent rental mountain bikes in Prince Albert all bought used on Bikehub .  Granted that you will have more tourists in Knysna than what we have , do not expect to make money on rentals . If your guest house pal wants to do it as a service to his customers so be it . Few people that rent bicycles look after them properly and you better not be finnicky about scratched frames .  As to the sizes go for 2 x S 2x M and 2 x L .

On 7/6/2021 at 2:51 AM, Grease_Monkey said:

You will need an XL as well. Anyone taller than 1.88 will not fit on a L as seatpost can’t extend far enough. And in SA tall guys are not uncommon. Just my immediate friends and family are 6x XL, 1x L (me), and 1x M

Odd, I'm 1.9m and ride a L and fit just fine on it. Intense Primer SL

44 minutes ago, GrahamS2 said:

17.8” L is borderline medium in other frames. If i look at these numbers fir the primer sl and you promise you aren't lying to yourself about fit????..you must either have very short legs for a 1.9m, or you have 200mm+ dropper that allows you to run a your saddle at 300mm ish lol. The reach numbers are fine  and closer to XL though. This again tells me you have shorter legs relative to your armspan☺️. That XL wouldn't even fit me lol.

513B126E-56C2-49CC-A6C8-48916B7509D1.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

I'll definitely go for 1 x Small, 2 x Medium, 2 x Large and 1 x XL. 

I think with this you'll be able to accommodate most people. 

2 hours ago, GrahamS2 said:

All about proportions. I am 1.78 and have an exceptionally long torso and short legs, I am actually considering an XL for my next bike. The newer geo with super low seat tubes will actually allow me to get the saddle low enough while having the ETT and reach I want. 

Either way, to my earlier point, I have tried to borrow my L bikes to mates that are just under 1.9m tall and they could not get the saddle up high enough. Maybe you fit on a L, but I think like me you are an exception rather than the rule.