Long Sleeve Cycling Shirt (for Summer)

MG22

I am looking for the following:

I need a long sleeve cycling jersey that is light. Most long sleeve jerseys are quite warm (they are more like jackets). They are great for winter but not for summer. I really need one for summer (that protects me from the sun, but at the same time is cool enough).

The reason why I want a long sleeve shirt/jersey is for protection against the sun.

It must be made of thin material so that it is not too warm in summer.

What can you recommend ? Looking forward to your feedback.

I ride with the long sleeve ION shirts all year round. Well ventilated and light fabric. 

LEATT is another option that is well ventilated. 

Will look super rad if you ride in baggies as well. Trail shirts look odd if you smuggle a budgie in lycra

As a (semi) ginger, I can identify.

Chat to Julian at Bold Gear. We had long sleeve trail jerseys made earlier this year that do a great job of blocking UV while letting the wind through. 

I have a similar problem and ride on the road.

My go to kit has been:

- Ciovita long sleeve (its mde from normal cycling jersey material and meant for summer)

- Set of white ciovita uv sleeves

second skins make a number of products that will cover you for this, from CANSA approved arm protecters/sleeves to lightweight jerseys (I haven’t seen second skins with pockets on the back, they are more running type jerseys, but they work) and more. 

you can buy the CANSA branded second skin stuff from the CANSA offices or most hospices too, and in so doing support a very good cause also. 

the other option is Long sleeve enduro jerseys, they are light, keep the sun off and look cool, if that matters to you. Would probably look a bit out of place on a road ride, but also, who cares…

Black Hill MTB is a local company and they make some awesome stuff:

https://www.facebook.com/Blackhillmtb

I'm in the same boat and picked up a cheap and tight fitting long sleeve shirt from Mr Price Sport. It's a bright red, very visible, super thin, and blocks the sun fantastically. I carry my gear in a small top tube bag to offset the lack of pockets. 

3 hours ago, Markusg said:

I need a long sleeve cycling jersey that is light. Most long sleeve jerseys are quite warm (they are more like jackets). They are great for winter but not for summer. I really need one for summer (that protects me from the sun, but at the same time is cool enough).

The reason why I want a long sleeve shirt/jersey is for protection against the sun.

The Hardtail Party page on Youtube has a video about long sleeve shirts.  You can go check it out.

Thank you all for such excellent feedback. I really do appreciate it. I will definitely check out the different options.

Being a MTB rider I will also look for Leatt & ION shirts. Just a question: where in jhb would I find Leatt long sleeve or ION long sleeve shirts ? 

19 minutes ago, Markusg said:

Thank you all for such excellent feedback. I really do appreciate it. I will definitely check out the different options.

Being a MTB rider I will also look for Leatt & ION shirts. Just a question: where in jhb would I find Leatt long sleeve or ION long sleeve shirts ? 

ION you need to order from https://thebrandstable.co.za/ion-bike/. They also sell on Takealot if you have ebucks to burn. 

Great service from them and they normally ship overnight. 

Edited by Steady Spin

Thank you "Steady Spin" for pointing me in the right direction. They (brandstable) have exactly what I am looking for. I will definitely order something from them.

17 hours ago, Markusg said:

Let Van H make you a few shirts !