Should I get a Rook Scout for everyday + greenbelts?

MongooseMan

Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster...

Context:

• Looking for a decent "one bike" to ride around Pinelands/the promenade/greenbelts/jeeps/maybe some gravel, on a limited, but not "makro" budget.
  • I'll largely be riding with my kids, maybe a few rides out with friends, but this isn't anything serious (if it gets serious, I'll buy something else down the line).
  • No downhill single-tracks or races.
  • I'm aware I could probably get a good second hand bike for that price, but given my limited bike knowledge, I'm leaning towards getting something new, from a legit local bike shop, so I can go back to them if there are any issues.

These seem pretty legit: https://rookcycles.com/collections/rook-scout/products/rook-scout-groad-black-11-speed

I've done a fair amount of reading and searching on here, and haven't seen anything hugely negative (maybe some folks consider them a bit heavy, but that's about it). I also haven't seen much in the last 6 months (I know Pure Savage has one, but I think it's a v1, and he got it last year, and there isn't much other first-person feedback apart from that).

From what I can see, it's got most of the right stuff (disk brakes, internal cable routing, etc). And from what I've read elsewhere, the v2 model (just released) has better components than the v1.

So, essentially, for R13.5k, can I do better, without going second hand?

those are pretty nice for the price imo, i've only seen one close up chained to a bikerack at the waterfront though. But they look a lot more expensive than they are. and now that they come in 11 speed..even better.  

You are right about @Pure Savage having one, he'd be able to give some decent insight. 

PS, welcome.

Edited by MORNE

You'll have to look long and hard to beat that price for a bike running 11 speed. I'm looking to building up a old steel gravel bike as a fun project and just piecing together parts for it runs at over R5K. I'd say... Go for it ????

12 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

You'll have to look long and hard to beat that price for a bike running 11 speed. I'm looking to building up a old steel gravel bike as a fun project and just piecing together parts for it runs at over R5K. I'd say... Go for it ????

This 12speed bike cost less.   https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/avalanche-reflex-pro-29-mountain-bike/

Welcome MongooseMan, please keep us posted.

While I cannot comment at all on the quality of the Rook, I can guarantee your street cred will increase exponentially overnight! Happy shopping.

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Context:

• Looking for a decent "one bike" to ride around Pinelands/the promenade/greenbelts/jeeps/maybe some gravel, on a limited, but not "makro" budget.
  • I'll largely be riding with my kids, maybe a few rides out with friends, but this isn't anything serious (if it gets serious, I'll buy something else down the line).
  • I'm aware I could probably get a good second hand bike for that price, but given my limited bike knowledge, I'm leaning towards getting something new, from a legit local bike shop, so I can go back to them if there are any issues.

These seem pretty legit: https://rookcycles.com/collections/rook-scout/products/rook-scout-groad-black-11-speed

I've done a fair amount of reading and searching on here, and haven't seen anything hugely negative (maybe some folks consider them a bit heavy, but that's about it). I also haven't seen much in the last 6 months (I know Pure Savage has one, but I think it's a v1, and he got it last year, and there isn't much other first-person feedback apart from that).

From what I can see, it's got most of the right stuff (disk brakes, internal cable routing, etc). And from what I've read elsewhere, the v2 model (just released) has better components than the v1.

I have given the Single Speed version a spin around the block ... and I liked it ;)

1 hour ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

With all due respect ... I would rather be seen on the Rook and it will give him better Insta street cred :P .. and that must be the only reason @Pure Savagebought one ........  surely ....????

Id even ride the scout in the single speed version before i even look at that 12sp bike????. The Rooks defo have street cred and they ‘look’ right.

5 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

that bike looks like it will fold in itself with components exploding everywhere just riding off the pavement where as the Rook looks a lot more solid........

ive been drooling over a rook for a while now. Does anyone know if it can take 700c wheels with say 30c or 28c tires for those roadie days

6 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

Context:

Nope. You made the right call.

5 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

This would not have been the right call. That fork alone disqualifies it - a rigid fork would be orders of magnitude better.

2 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

Oh yeah ????

IMG_20210707_141434-01.jpeg

Well done! And many happy kilometers! I am just a bit jealous. Let us see dad's bike as well.