Stolen bike parts in the classifieds sections?

M L

14 minutes ago, AccidentalGenius said:

It can be unlocked, after a 1000 e-mails between you and Apple support. But they want proof of purchase with the IMEI of the phone displayed on said proof of purchase. I had to unlock an old iPhone of mine as I had forgotten the passcode. It took close to 3 weeks. 
So yes, you’re stuffed if you’re not the original owner. I almost can’t believe that there’s a market for these, unless it’s being bought for spare parts.

The pawn shop owner did mention that the locked devices they tend to sell on to repair shops, so that’s probably what happens to the majority. When they buy them on auction, they buy them as lots, so they don’t know wether all the devices work or not, if they have all the cables and charges etc. So they buy a lot of say 10 iPhone 8, but might only be able to resell 4 as working phones, the rest are salvaged for parts…

22 hours ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

This is all very depressing. Looking for a used iPad and it's just 'this is icloud locked' all over the place. Anyway let's not derail the conversation. 

OT

could mean two things.....either the owner is too dumb to know how to remove a listed device from their icloud account or it has been bricked over iCloud by the original owner because it was stolen lol.

it is easy to remove a device, factory rest/restore it...and set it up as a brand new device if you are/were the original owner. there is no such thing as it being locked to one specific iCloud account unless it hasn't been removed from said account. I did this for my mother who lives in Oz and uses one of my old ones because she's not to clued up with counterintuitive android stuff. Steve jobs said a child must be able to use it...well that counts for old people too i guess haha. They tend to find IOS easier in my experience. 

my spidey senses are in overdrive when i see some of these 'dealers' flog all these parts. i know a lot of them buy bikes and break them down to sell though. You almost always get more money that way. I just did that to a bike I sold. I'm already better off than the asking price for the full bike and I still have a few things to go. Justifies my stubbornness with some of the low ballers. They seriously lost out...

On 7/7/2021 at 11:46 AM, JDC said:

Apart from stolen bike parts , I want to add a warning to persons through 2 experiences I have had buying used through Bikehub: 1. Bought a used Momsen MTB several years ago for R11k. Not a bad bike at all I may add. HOWEVER when the seller told me the lockout cable had been disconnected because "he did not like it" and actually gave me the cable , I should have known the lockout system was in fact faulty - he would have simply not engaged lockout if "he did not like it" But I was in somewhat of a hurry (so try to also never be in a rush when buying) and got caught. Later on noticed the front wheel was a DT Swiss , but the rear a no-name brand . And also found some cheaper components on the bike. Comparing to others feel I should have paid max of R 8k for the bike. Recently I saw a DT Swiss rim for sale on Bikehub , bought it (to match above) for R 1 000 (seller wanted R 1 500 but thankfully I offered R 1 000) turns out was a missing titanium part which affected the working of the freewheel hub. The kit would have cost me around R 2 500 , luckily was able through a contact to source part for R 350 . (The seller played me along a few days until I gave up on chasing them). SO THE REAL POINT I AM MAKING IS BE EXTRA CAREFUL I HAVE BOUGHT TWICE AND CAUGHT TWICE admit now I think back and should have been more careful , so please anyone buying used THERE IS A VERY REAL CHANCE THE SELLER HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE USUALLY THE REASON WHY THEY SELL IN THE FIRST PLACE or they simply WILL CHARGE YOU MUCH MORE THAN YOU SHOULD PAY IF THEY CAN GET AWAY.

Yes, 100% had a guy who is regular sellers who sold me a so called new chain only to presented with parts missing! 
I think it’s high time to tighten the curtain and start a name&shame list, so we weed out the Tossers who prey on honesty good cycling folk! Anyway my ten cents and vat!

23 hours ago, Shebeen said:

an iphone is basically useless without connecting to apple systems. they could shut off the market for stolen iphones overnight, but stolen items are good business for them.

and facebook, twitter et al have the EXIF data from every picture uploaded. so any stolen DSLR should be available to them.

Also once you have worked with cellphone tracking/movement data which is easily available. You can quickly track down a phone once stolen and cluster it's home and work locations with ease. You will lose your contract with the movement data suppliers immediately though and rightfully so. In fact some of the data suppliers have been banned by the google and apple app stores due to selling data to military...