DT Swiss 350 vs Hope Pro 4

Jono

DT Swiss 350 vs Hope Pro 4   

102 members have voted

1. 1. For MTB wheelset, if both hub options are available at the same price, which would you go for?

• DT Swiss 350
    • Hope Pro 4

1 hour ago, MarcHD said:

Morning guys, and hope everyone had a good weekend...

Not to hi-jack this post (hopefully your answers will help our friend Jono in his decision further) but for those who voted Hope over DT Swiss hubs, may I ask you reply with your reason why, out of those listed below?

You can message me directly if you prefer not to spam this thread, but I hope I'm not speaking out of turn when I say Jono wouldn't mind better understanding the decision for Hope over DT hubs...

Which of the following best describes your reason for voting Hope over DT Swiss hubs (assuming same price):

A) Faster engagement as standard

B) More Colour options

C) Availability

D) Familiarity/trust in the brand. 

I would opt for Hope Pro 4 based on price as teh above 4 criteria aren;t really issues for me wrt to an MTB

A) faster engagement is not necessarily a good thing. How it feels depends on the bikes suspension design, specifically anti squat. High anto squat feels better with lower engagement. and vice versa.

B) Colour options, only really look good if the bike is clean and standing at a coffee shop. Most of the time my bike is covered in dirt. Color options for DTSwiss hubs would be nice e.g. the oil slick limited edition should be a standard option as should be silver and gold

C and D are not issues for me as both brands have been around a long time.

Price is the major differentiator as the Pro 4 and 350 are price about 20% apart

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/8/2021 at 12:35 PM, BaGearA said:

The new stans flow mk4 would be my first choice. And its easy to get in 28h 

Spank or DT would be next but slightly more difficult to find in 28h

Ive cracked 3 Flow mk4 rear wheels on my singlespeed... the only Flow thats lasted on the rear wheel is the EX that I was given the last time round.

Personally not a fan of Stans wheels based on my experience with them.

9 hours ago, ChUkKy said:

Ive cracked 3 Flow mk4 rear wheels on my singlespeed... the only Flow thats lasted on the rear wheel is the EX that I was given the last time round.

Personally not a fan of Stans wheels based on my experience with them.

you cracked mk3 not mk4 

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I would opt for Hope Pro 4 based on price as teh above 4 criteria aren;t really issues for me wrt to an MTB

A) faster engagement is not necessarily a good thing. How it feels depends on the bikes suspension design, specifically anti squat. High anto squat feels better with lower engagement. and vice versa.

B) Colour options, only really look good if the bike is clean and standing at a coffee shop. Most of the time my bike is covered in dirt. Color options for DTSwiss hubs would be nice e.g. the oil slick limited edition should be a standard option as should be silver and gold

C and D are not issues for me as both brands have been around a long time.

Price is the major differentiator as the Pro 4 and 350 are price about 20% apart

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting as up until very recently (last week to be exact) the wholesale price was identical... to the cent

16 minutes ago, MarcHD said:

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting as up until very recently (last week to be exact) the wholesale price was identical... to the cent

I think you'll find that Hope rear hubs on some online retailers (you know the 2 or 3) tend to come in cheaper than 350's.

Although it might just be that they go on "sale" more often.

Edited by Thermophage

20 minutes ago, MarcHD said:

I can't see the wholesale for either products but the retail is very different. In a price sensitive market that makes a big difference especially when one can do the bling bling for less tah-ching tah-ching.

recent changes the 350 does make it look more visually appealing but still available in any colour as long as its black.

So there's a different product positioning to consider and if that is relevant to the current market?

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

I can't see the wholesale for either products but the retail is very different. In a price sensitive market that makes a big difference especially when one can do the bling bling for less tah-ching tah-ching.

recent changes the 350 does make it look more visually appealing but still available in any colour as long as its black.

So there's a different product positioning to consider and if that is relevant to the current market?

Thank you for the feedback man

10 hours ago, MarcHD said:

Not to hi-jack this post (hopefully your answers will help our friend Jono in his decision further) but for those who voted Hope over DT Swiss hubs, may I ask you reply with your reason why, out of those listed below?

You can message me directly if you prefer not to spam this thread, but I hope I'm not speaking out of turn when I say Jono wouldn't mind better understanding the decision for Hope over DT hubs...

Which of the following best describes your reason for voting Hope over DT Swiss hubs (assuming same price):

B) More Colour options

C) Availability

A.

Hope is also significantly cheaper for me to buy easily.

If both cost the same I would go for DT. I prefer the internals. I have also outgrown the Hope Bzzzzzz

Edited by RiverInTheRoad

11 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

A.

If both cost the same I would go for DT. I prefer the internals. I have also outgrown the Hope Bzzzzzz

Cheers mate

13 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

A.

Even if not the same but within a few R100 I'd mindlessly opt for the 350 everytime. As you say the internals are superb, the shells and axles are stiff. I've never needed to replace bearings in any of my DT Swiss hubs. But under current economic conditions other products reluctantly come into play :(

On 7/12/2021 at 10:04 AM, MarcHD said:

B) More Colour options

C) Availability

A, B and C.

Faced a similar question as the OP, wanting to try a wider rim. Had the option of rebuilding existing set of DT Swiss E1900 wheels. After much deliberation and waiting on stock to arrive, went with the Hope hubs. At the same price (or as close as makes no difference), you get faster engagement. That they were being cleared out and were available was just happenstance.
No difference in regard for quality from either brand.

7 hours ago, supertorro said:

A, B and C.

Faced a similar question as the OP, wanting to try a wider rim. Had the option of rebuilding existing set of DT Swiss E1900 wheels. After much deliberation and waiting on stock to arrive, went with the Hope hubs. At the same price (or as close as makes no difference), you get faster engagement. That they were being cleared out and were available was just happenstance.
No difference in regard for quality from either brand.

Thanks for the feedback! Stock is always tricky nowadays, and thankfully DT have answered our call for faster engagement with the new 350 model coming as 36T 

Hope Pro4 and DT Swiss 350 are the same price and are both awesome.

Forced to choose, I'd go for Hope for the different colours available.

The freehub mechanisms are different, but both are simple and reliable.

Hope has 40t standard and DT 350 18t (when the new 2021 models become available they'll have 36t ratchets installed)

Buy which ever one you like the look of best, or whichever one you find cheaper, or at all.

The DT is also available in straight-pull, if that's your cup of tea.

Cost, quality and reliability are on par.

Rims are tricky due to availability issues, but Spank 350/359 are great, as are the Raceface and DT Swiss options and the new Mk4 rims from Stans will be available soon.