Which double cab?

Mopkop

On 7/8/2021 at 1:55 PM, agilwolf said:

Don't forget about the Mitsubishi Triton ...  (If you get past the styling and appearance)

Their price is just stupid for how terrible the styling is. Tritons used to have the "cheap enough to ignore how ugly it is" thing going, but they dont anymore, not they are just ugly!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Jurgens Smit said:

Why do you rate the jeep as a bad decision?
Personally I'm a huge fan of them and am planning on buying a wrangler next year if all goes well.

If you like paying a lot of money for something that breaks a lot, then Jeep is right up your alley.

OP are you looking for new?

If there isnt a condition to buy new then I would look at 2 year old, it still has warranty, has taken the big depreciation hit and is way better value.

2 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

If you like paying a lot of money for something that breaks a lot, then Jeep is right up your alley.

Weird, I've spoken to a bunch of people with the v6 wrangler who have 0 issues with it.
I know I'm hijacking a little here, but any specific models that are unreliable like you say or is it just a general thing you've observed?

OP in regards to your question, I would do like Rocket-Boy says, take a look at 2nd hand but low mileage.
Also Isuzu is the only brand of the 3 you have mentioned I have seen rack up 500k in mileage without any mechanical faults.

3 hours ago, Jurgens Smit said:

Weird, I've spoken to a bunch of people with the v6 wrangler who have 0 issues with it.
I know I'm hijacking a little here, but any specific models that are unreliable like you say or is it just a general thing you've observed?

Last derail from me on the Jeep I promise :)

A good mate of mine said the only car that gave him more trouble than his 3.6l V6 Wrangler was a Renault Megane. That Megane cost nearly as much in repairs as it did in purchase price. The other one was a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

In both cases it was tons of electronic failures, sensors other little bits that cost a lot. The only real issue was damage to one of the axles from a rock strike because they dont come with bash plates.

In both cases they said it wouldnt have been as big a deal if it was a more mainstream vehicle and new/2nd parts were cheaper and more accessible, this is not the case for Jeep in SA.

Thank you for all the replies

I'll be testing this week and then hopefully make a decision. Wifey would like the GWM as its the prettiest, Im swaying between the Ranger and Dmax.

Also, do I look for a demo,+-10000km and save about 30-50k(demo normally has extras already fitted) or just bite the bullet and go new?

Im in CPT and there seems to be better deals up country, is this an option?

9 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

OP are you looking for new?

If there isnt a condition to buy new then I would look at 2 year old, it still has warranty, has taken the big depreciation hit and is way better value.

Because Im getting a work allowance and they cover maintenance I'm limited to 1 year old and 24000km.

I also want a canopy due to tools and my Rottweilers ????

1 hour ago, Mopkop said:

Thank you for all the replies

I'll be testing this week and then hopefully make a decision. Wifey would like the GWM as its the prettiest, Im swaying between the Ranger and Dmax.

Also, do I look for a demo,+-10000km and save about 30-50k(demo normally has extras already fitted) or just bite the bullet and go new?

Personally I would go for a demo, and use the difference to get all your extras on it pre-finance through the dealer if it doesn't have what you looking for.
My roommate bought the new Suzuki baby SUV as a demo and saved +- 30k. Had less than 2000 kms on the clock.
I bought my Polo a few years back with 10k kms on it for a steal as well.

If you do buy out of province you may need to get a form and a affidavit that allows you to travel between provinces. Not sure on the current rules with provincial lock down. Or you could have them ship it down via train, not certain on costs or risks involved though.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:06 PM, Jurgens Smit said:

Personally I'm a huge fan of them and am planning on buying a wrangler next year if all goes well.

A prodigious thirst

2 diffs

A front Axle

A new drive shaft because they didn't sell the CV joint (Yes a CV) that came out of the transfer case separately.

All the electrics (Luckily not expensive)

And catastrophic resale value

Also an 5 week lead time for a service and FKALL parts backup. I know that's not the vehicles fault.

I  won't even buy Jeep clothing. Based on the cars, the buttons will all fall off and the dye will run all over your other stuff the first time you wash it.

I presume you want a wrangler for it's off-road ability. If you want to go off-road rather get a dirtbike. You can get a nice 2nd hander for 20k. They are much cheaper to maintain and if it's broken waiting to get fixed that's fine. Going off-road in an expensive, probably financed, wrangler is a recipe for financial ruin.

Just my opinion. Don't shoot the messenger.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

12 hours ago, Mopkop said:

I saw a deal that Eagle Ford in Pretoria had on my model truck. I phoned Motus Ford here in CT and they matched. 

Hi, I have very limited experience from different bakkies, so will just share from my perspective.

Had a Navara long ago, very comfy and almost SUV type ride.

Got me a used Isuzu Dmax 250 in April. Had 65000 on the clock and paid 320K. previous owner put on these nice mag wheels and canopy and it has on of those android type radios with reverse camera. Mine is a fairly bottom of the range model. But, interior is very neat, good quality and nothing too fancy. Took some getting used to drive wise (coming from Xtrail). It's a bit hard to drive but you get used to it. fuel consumption averages around 9.4l/100km combined usage. Nothing too fancy, but now we have enough space when going to ride somewhere or camping and fishing. No rattles whatsoever. And while its under a service plan stil, services arent expensive. it's not a flashy bakkie, not quick of the mark, but very decent and a workhorse with enough power. think this is a keeper. But go and see for yourself. Either way, I dont think any of your options besides the GWM would be a bad choice.

20210423_180527.jpg

18 hours ago, Mopkop said:

?

I wouldn't. 

But I would suggest phoning around in the platteland. I bought my Ranger In Bredasdorp, and my lowest Hilux quote was in Riversdal. Boland Isuzu in Paarl is also on the ball, that is where mine goes for servicing. 

I made a lekker last drive with the old bakkie, had breakfast in Bredasdorp with the family, and drove back the same day. 

Edited by PhilipV

On 7/9/2021 at 8:57 AM, Duane_Bosch said:

Having said that we did a long road trip in December and the truck (It's not a bakkie) scored a solid 10/10 in all departments.

Pffft, a truck is something that can carry it's own weight. A double cab looks like a dog taking a dump when you load more than 700kg on the back. 

21 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Pffft, a truck is something that can carry it's own weight. A double cab looks like a dog taking a dump when you load more than 700kg on the back. 

This is too true. I have on two occasions loaded my navara where it had virtually no suspension left. Won't be doing that again. Both times I miss judged the weight of the stuff I was carrying(wet building sand is A LOT heavier than dry and paving bricks are also A LOT heavier than cement bricks).

On 7/10/2021 at 10:06 PM, Jurgens Smit said:

do you ever want to sell it again ? they are worth virtually nothing used.