Which double cab?

Mopkop

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

do you ever want to sell it again ? they are worth virtually nothing used.

I really don't want to hijack the OP's thread. But probably not soon.
Ideally I personally want an SUV that is capable of doing everything I require from it, and I have a thing for Jeep.
When I start actually seriously looking Bakkies will defs be considered, I just asked about the Jeep stuff when I saw the comments coz they were strange to me not really having heard of reliability issues on the vehicles before.

I'll likely be keeping my Polo, and just using the other vehicle for weekends and holidays.
So even something that could turn into a project car like the older straight 6 Grand Cherokees could work.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Jurgens Smit said:

So even something that could turn into a project car like the older straight 6 Grand Cherokees could work.

I have an irrational liking of the XJ Jeeps. I also like a 2.8Landy.

Both would be a lot of fun, but probably be terrible decisions. Said the guy who’s Ranger has spent 8 weeks at the inept dealer this year.And they still don’t know what’s wrong. FML. 

12 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Said the guy who’s Ranger has spent 8 weeks at the inept dealer this year.And they still don’t know what’s wrong. FML. 

Dont say that! Im about to pull the trigger on a used 3.2 Everest. 

Most of my research found them to be pretty reliable cars, hopefully I dont get a lemon.

1 hour ago, Rocket-Boy said:

Most of my research found them to be pretty reliable cars, hopefully I dont get a lemon.

I love that 3.2 motor. My mate has one in his Ranger and it really is a power unit.

On 7/11/2021 at 11:56 AM, Jurgens Smit said:

Weird, I've spoken to a bunch of people with the v6 wrangler who have 0 issues with it.
I know I'm hijacking a little here, but any specific models that are unreliable like you say or is it just a general thing you've observed?

OP in regards to your question, I would do like Rocket-Boy says, take a look at 2nd hand but low mileage.
Also Isuzu is the only brand of the 3 you have mentioned I have seen rack up 500k in mileage without any mechanical faults.

Must be the same type of people that tells you their Land rover has also been trouble free with only 8798 km on the odo.

Any car is reliable when it's still under the manufacturers warranty. The 2nd hand price is indicative of how reliable a car is.

On 7/12/2021 at 8:06 AM, Duane_Bosch said:

A prodigious thirst

2 diffs

A front Axle

A new drive shaft because they didn't sell the CV joint (Yes a CV) that came out of the transfer case separately.

All the electrics (Luckily not expensive)

And catastrophic resale value

Also an 5 week lead time for a service and FKALL parts backup. I know that's not the vehicles fault.

I  won't even buy Jeep clothing. Based on the cars, the buttons will all fall off and the dye will run all over your other stuff the first time you wash it.

I presume you want a wrangler for it's off-road ability. If you want to go off-road rather get a dirtbike. You can get a nice 2nd hander for 20k. They are much cheaper to maintain and if it's broken waiting to get fixed that's fine. Going off-road in an expensive, probably financed, wrangler is a recipe for financial ruin.

Just my opinion. Don't shoot the messenger.

Don't forget, that short wheelbase drives like ****. If you like living on the edge at 60km/h go for it. The only thing going for a wrangler is its looks.

3 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Don't forget, that short wheelbase drives like ****. If you like living on the edge at 60km/h go for it. The only thing going for a wrangler is its looks.

Agree on the SWB and don't forget about the botched lift kits done on them. Then they get as the dutchies would say a "def wobble".

Regardless, it's like the okes who love the Landies even with the bad rep that comes with them.
I love the Jeeps and the way they ride (the LWB models), I love their looks and I love what they can do off road. I'm not worried about any engine maintenance coz those things are not rocket science to work on. The electronic issues I am aware of, but the drivetrain *** that Duane mentioned I'll look into.

But I will be doing some further research coz there is no way in hell I can justify 800k on a new one, and would like to do some reading if the issues listed above are known faults or just really *** luck.

The wrangler is just one of the vehicles on my list that fulfills my criteria and as stupid as it sounds, my dad had one when I was a kid and it became my "dream" vehicle. Hopefully it just isn't a case of you should never meet your idols in person bc you will be disappointed.

49 minutes ago, Jurgens Smit said:

Agree on the SWB and don't forget about the botched lift kits done on them. Then they get as the dutchies would say a "def wobble".

Regardless, it's like the okes who love the Landies even with the bad rep that comes with them.
I love the Jeeps and the way they ride (the LWB models), I love their looks and I love what they can do off road. I'm not worried about any engine maintenance coz those things are not rocket science to work on. The electronic issues I am aware of, but the drivetrain *** that Duane mentioned I'll look into.

But I will be doing some further research coz there is no way in hell I can justify 800k on a new one, and would like to do some reading if the issues listed above are known faults or just really *** luck.

The wrangler is just one of the vehicles on my list that fulfills my criteria and as stupid as it sounds, my dad had one when I was a kid and it became my "dream" vehicle. Hopefully it just isn't a case of you should never meet your idols in person bc you will be disappointed.

To be clear. I had a Cherokee. The bug eye one. And despite the litany of things that went wrong with it I absolutely loved it. But never again.

5 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

To be clear. I had a Cherokee. The bug eye one. And despite the litany of things that went wrong with it I absolutely loved it. But never again.

Yup, same one a mate of mine had. First time he did "offroading" (it wasnt serious offroad) he managed to crack a diff housing because there were no cover plates as standard on them. That car looked flippen sexy, but man did it break often and cost a lot to repair.

9 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

I wouldn't do that. But if you accidentally slip and buy a Ford, just get a Ford Factory extended warranty (not a third party aftermarket warranty.) At least they don't have any issues fixing their poor workmanship under warranty

Can't you get a Isuzu MUX for the same money?

I went to fetch mine today. The part that needs replacement is the Gateway Control Module. When the part arrives I'll pop in to have it replaced. 

The problem with owning a Ford is that it's a really lekker vehicle to drive, and it's a lekker office for me. When every thing goes right that is.....

9 minutes ago, guidodg said:

why is nobody mentioning the Hilux?

Obviously when you're looking at GWM or whatever chinese vehicle, you're not looking for reliability, decent resale value and the tried n tested.

14 hours ago, PhilipV said:

I wouldn't do that. But if you accidentally slip and buy a Ford, just get a Ford Factory extended warranty (not a third party aftermarket warranty.) At least they don't have any issues fixing their poor workmanship under warranty

Can't you get a Isuzu MUX for the same money?

I went to fetch mine today. The part that needs replacement is the Gateway Control Module. When the part arrives I'll pop in to have it replaced. 

The problem with owning a Ford is that it's a really lekker vehicle to drive, and it's a lekker office for me. When every thing goes right that is.....

It was between the fortuner and everest for me, fortuner is stupidly overpriced and the drive is a lot less comfy than the everest.

The Isuzu MUX is like chickens teeth to find, its probably because they are so ugly that no one wanted to buy one new, that is my theory at least :)

I have never been a fan of Ford, I figured the old 3.2 has proven itself in the ranger for a while now so it should be ok. There arent a lot of decent options in my price range on the second hand market so the everest is the only one that fits.

22 minutes ago, Rocket-Boy said:

It was between the fortuner and everest for me, fortuner is stupidly overpriced and the drive is a lot less comfy than the everest.

The Isuzu MUX is like chickens teeth to find, its probably because they are so ugly that no one wanted to buy one new, that is my theory at least :)

I have never been a fan of Ford, I figured the old 3.2 has proven itself in the ranger for a while now so it should be ok. There arent a lot of decent options in my price range on the second hand market so the everest is the only one that fits.

Toyota tax is a bit silly right now. 

MUX look is definitely dated: One man's ugly is another man's wife though. I mean, people buy Tritons and Pajero Sports. 

The early 3.2s lost engines and gearboxes due to overheating after water pipes chafed and developed leaks. And the cracked pistons due to faulty injectors.  But the factory warranty covers those calamities.