Which double cab?

Mopkop

1 hour ago, guidodg said:

why is nobody mentioning the Hilux?

Due to restrictions from work I can only get the petrol Hilux as the diesel is too expensive for the cap work has put on the RRP

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, stefmeister said:

Obviously when you're looking at GWM or whatever chinese vehicle, you're not looking for reliability, decent resale value and the tried n tested.

haha

Isuzu Dmax 250 manual R470k

I drive one. simply put its a beast. it is fuel efficient. it is dependable. it might not be the "blingiest" of the lot but its the most dependable.

My father-in-law had a workshop in George and he swears by Isuzu too. He has a mate who is a diesel-mech who has a constant string of Hilux and Ranger gearboxes needing overhaul, new and old. He never has any Isuzu's cross his workshop floor. On that advice I bought mine in 2017 and it has been going like clockwork since. 

Fuel consumption average 10km/l and 10l/100km which is not bad for a 250 Dteq 4x4 double cab. 

I like the looks of the new Toyota, I won't lie, but Isuzu is the way to go when you chat with mechanics.

edit - 

I got mine demo from the dealer. He ordered it as an upspec from the factory with all the extra's thrown in that normally go on the 300 DMax and that included 4x4, canopy, leather seats, all round tinting, rubberising, all the electronic aids etc. and it only had 13000km on the odo. I paid R390k. it just crossed 60k in the last month. When I had my in-laws test drive it (the bakkie was in George) he called to tell me the engine was lagging. I phoned Isuzu up and said I was not collecting if they don't sort it out. I was called back and told the chip was derated during the demo to protect the enige. They remapped it using the upcoming 2022 DMax spec. This bakkie of mine goes like a missile now. Super quick of the mark and just gobbles up the km's yet the diesel bill remains acceptable.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

On 7/14/2021 at 6:10 PM, PhilipV said:

I wouldn't do that. But if you accidentally slip and buy a Ford, just get a Ford Factory extended warranty (not a third party aftermarket warranty.) At least they don't have any issues fixing their poor workmanship under warranty

Can't you get a Isuzu MUX for the same money?

I went to fetch mine today. The part that needs replacement is the Gateway Control Module. When the part arrives I'll pop in to have it replaced. 

The problem with owning a Ford is that it's a really lekker vehicle to drive, and it's a lekker office for me. When every thing goes right that is.....

I followed your advice and went with an official Ford extended warranty, the car had 1800km left before warranty expired so it could be renewed.

I checked every possible option from the Toyota/Isuzu/etc and none of them came close to the stuff I was getting in the Everest ltd, so I went with that. Hopefully picking it up tomorrow.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:13 AM, Mopkop said:

Due to restrictions from work I can only get the petrol Hilux as the diesel is too expensive for the cap work has put on the RRP

Yeah dont get the petrol one. I had a neighbor who had the 2.7 and a mate who had the 4.0 both were extremely sad about how expensive they were to run.

2 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

Yeah dont get the petrol one. I had a neighbor who had the 2.7 and a mate who had the 4.0 both were extremely sad about how expensive they were to run.

My father's neighbor has a 2,7 Hilux. He asked me this weekend to check out a possible water leak. No leak, just aircon condensation. 

13 years old, 270k kms and not a day's worry. Only service items. 

Those petrol engines might be thirsty, but they are reliable. Tbh, I wouldn't mind buying a FJ Cruiser or v6 Prado "for my wife."

2 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

I followed your advice and went with an official Ford extended warranty, the car had 1800km left before warranty expired so it could be renewed.

I checked every possible option from the Toyota/Isuzu/etc and none of them came close to the stuff I was getting in the Everest ltd, so I went with that. Hopefully picking it up tomorrow.

Lekker! Enjoy it. 

I bought my Mazda Drifter 2.5Tdi 4x2 brand new in 2004.  It's got nearly 300,000k's on the clock now and has never given me a moment's hassle.  The plan is to replace it soon and considering the new Mazda's use the Isuzu chassis I am probably going to go the route of Isuzu (not a big fan of the new Mazda looks).  Neighbour of mine bought a GWM and inside of two years it literally fell apart and as far as the Ranger goes the mechanic who looks after my Mazda says I must stay away - he's had to rebuild too many to have confidence in its longevity......so, my opinion, Isuzu it is........

Just to throw a spanner in the works (sorry!) - a mate bought the Mahindra S11 Karoo about a year ago and he's loving it....

3 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Lekker! Enjoy it. 

3 hours ago, PhilipV said:

My father's neighbor has a 2,7 Hilux. He asked me this weekend to check out a possible water leak. No leak, just aircon condensation. 

Those petrol engines might be thirsty, but they are reliable. Tbh, I wouldn't mind buying a FJ Cruiser or v6 Prado "for my wife."

Me too! Driving an Everest at the moment as I needed the 7 seater for the family, kids are big now and driving their own cars so that is still high on my list for next year........

23 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Yeah look the petrol engines have been around for ages and really hold up well. I have heard a lot of the serious 4x4 guys that arent in Land Cruisers like the petrols for expeditions.

FJ cruisers are flippen awesome, their fuel consumption and ability to see other cars from the drivers seat are not!

I still want one though :)

19 hours ago, coppi said:

Me too! Driving an Everest at the moment as I needed the 7 seater for the family, kids are big now and driving their own cars so that is still high on my list for next year........

I feel like Im really derailing here, but which Everest and how as it been?

I have seen so many mixed responses on the 4x4 forum about them. Some love them and others say they just break constantly!

Had a little chuckle to myself this morning.

One of the back roads I use to work as a set of rumble strips, they are slightly higher than normal but if you take them at speed in a car they are hardly noticeable. 

This morning as I turn into the road I'm behind an Amarok decked out with aluminum canopy, roof rack complete with awning, gas bottle holder and other paraphernalia, we get to the rumble strips and he practically comes to a standstill to go over them.

I was chuckling to myself thinking what does he do on corrugated dirt roads. 

17 hours ago, ouzo said:

Had a little chuckle to myself this morning.

One of the back roads I use to work as a set of rumble strips, they are slightly higher than normal but if you take them at speed in a car they are hardly noticeable. 

This morning as I turn into the road I'm behind an Amarok decked out with aluminum canopy, roof rack complete with awning, gas bottle holder and other paraphernalia, we get to the rumble strips and he practically comes to a standstill to go over them.

I was chuckling to myself thinking what does he do on corrugated dirt roads. 

I was looking at FJ's on autotrader yesterday to see how well they hold value and there was one from a dealership in Sandton that caught my eye.

2018 model with 18000km on the clock, as kitted out as was humanly possible. It had long throw jack's and axes bolted to ever available surface.

Obviously a toy that was never actually used and is now being sold off, Im pretty sure the driver would fit in with your post :)

Thank you for all the replies

I've been hearing some bad stories about the Ranger and this is making me rather want to play it safe and get the Dmax. And then there are others who praise the 2.2 Ranger with no issues just normal servicing. 

The bakkie will be kept for a long time, 10+ years so reliability is a major factor. If I do go Dmax is it worth going auto?

Hilux is out as work only allows the petrol(budget cap)

Im going to look at the Navara today aswell

I've decided against the GWM as I dont know what to expect after the warranty period is finished

2 hours ago, Mopkop said:

Thank you for all the replies

I've been hearing some bad stories about the Ranger and this is making me rather want to play it safe and get the Dmax. And then there are others who praise the 2.2 Ranger with no issues just normal servicing. 

The bakkie will be kept for a long time, 10+ years so reliability is a major factor. If I do go Dmax is it worth going auto?

Hilux is out as work only allows the petrol(budget cap)

Im going to look at the Navara today aswell

I've decided against the GWM as I dont know what to expect after the warranty period is finished

I heard the same mixed reactions about the 2.2 in the Ford. It varies between "I did 350k km without issues and I hardly even serviced it" to "I have owned it for 6 months and its getting its 2nd engine replacement"

It scared me until I started asking everyone I know who owns one, they seem fine in general. Honestly the things are everywhere if you look around while driving, you cant tell me they all just fall apart and give issues with that many being out there.

My uncle has a Navara and loves it, Im not a fan of the styling but that is personal preference really.

Isuzu are very utilitarian and basic, they are solid though mechanically.

I would steer well clear of GWM after a mate of mine bought one new a few years ago. It spent more time being repaired than it did being driven.

On 7/23/2021 at 10:55 AM, Rocket-Boy said:

I feel like Im really derailing here, but which Everest and how as it been?

I have seen so many mixed responses on the 4x4 forum about them. Some love them and others say they just break constantly!

2.2 XLT 4X2

Never been a Ford fan, this is my first. Extremely happy with it, NO issues whatsoever............