Rant: Bad Deals

1 minute ago, BaGearA said:

"Agreeing " with someone doesn't mean jacksh#t in the world we live in , making good on an agreement is A gentlemanly move and breaking it for a better price is a dickmove but get over it cause NOBODY cares that you're butthurt about it. I've been on both sides of this , i always followed through when i was the seller and lost a lot of items because someone offered more money.

Expecting life to be fair is like expecting lion not to eat you cause you're not eating it.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk...

????

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a regular seller and buyer. Lately I find the offers on items being sold are SO LOW and from completely new profiles. Totally frustrating and suspicious. 

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

My mention of offers and competing bids was in reference to the negotiation phase, before any agreement is reached. Reneging on a firm agreement is a poor show and I can understand your frustration around these deals.

Acceptance of an offer, i.e. agreement on a deal is viewed as being binding. Would we implement the same instant ban policy for behaviour this like other sites you use? For most instances, probably not. Should we consider harsher sanctions for repeat offenders? Yes, absolutely. 

There's a lot we can do around how ratings are used, for example what the implications are if aggregate ratings fall to a certain level. And there's a lot we can learn from the many platforms abroad who face similar challenges.

Anybody getting a 1 star review should immediately raise some kind of process. That should be an immediate warning sign. There is unfortunately at the moment no way to get the attention of an admin, so there is no way to flag repeat offenders. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

In a smaller forum-driven community it is a great approach, but practically it's just not a good fit for Bike Hub. 

@Nico van Loggerenberg ????This post should tell you everything you need to know. In a "forum-driven community", you can expect people to behave as if they're in a community. On a "market-place-driven-website", expect people to behave as if they're in a market place and shaft each other at every corner to maximize profits. This is the decision the admins have made, and now we have to live with it. 

But if you apply the Rouxtjie-Rule, you'll probably have more luck with your dealings on the classifieds. I forget the exact number, but basically only deal with people with a post count above 1000. Basically only deal with the "forum-community" members, not the "market place" members. 

But as an alternative to stalking the classifieds, if you know what you want, you can put up a "wanted" ad. I've always been pretty surprised by the response when I post that I'm looking for somethings. 

Also.... WOOOOOOOSAAAAAAAAA.... This is a sport we do for leisure. If it's causing you stress, you're doing it wrong.  

14 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

@Nico van Loggerenberg ????This post should tell you everything you need to know. In a "forum-driven community", you can expect people to behave as if they're in a community. On a "market-place-driven-website", expect people to behave as if they're in a market place and shaft each other at every corner to maximize profits. This is the decision the admins have made, and now we have to live with it. 

But if you apply the Rouxtjie-Rule, you'll probably have more luck with your dealings on the classifieds. I forget the exact number, but basically only deal with people with a post count above 1000. Basically only deal with the "forum-community" members, not the "market place" members. 

But as an alternative to stalking the classifieds, if you know what you want, you can put up a "wanted" ad. I've always been pretty surprised by the response when I post that I'm looking for somethings. 

Also.... WOOOOOOOSAAAAAAAAA.... This is a sport we do for leisure. If it's causing you stress, you're doing it wrong.  

Totally with you, I think you hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, I'm in the market for a bike, and this is a place to buy them - I'm not engaging just because I like riling myself up, but because I want to buy and ride something. Re: your last sentence, someone once said "don't turn my leisure activity into a business activity" and that's how it oftentimes feels. 

Edited by Nico van Loggerenberg

A mild hijack - for Matt's attention:

What can you do (Admin) when I (buyer) have a written agreement (messages) to purchase an item. The buyer then reneges on the deal. I then give him a low rating. He the spitefully gives me a low rating back (as revenge) making up a cock and bull story (that can be proven as false via the messages sent). What is the RECOURSE??

21 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

What can you do (Admin) when I (buyer) have a written agreement (messages) to purchase an item. The buyer then reneges on the deal. I then give him a low rating. He the spitefully gives me a low rating back (as revenge) making up a cock and bull story (that can be proven as false via the messages sent). What is the RECOURSE??

What is the point of a rating system if you can just abuse it ? Both ratings should be removed 

YOU didn't conclude a deal and therefore YOU shouldn't have left the review.

Over the years besides the new bikes I have bought at a store I have also purchased bikes and parts on the hub it’s mainly been a absolutely pleasure, met some great people and most are very honest. Only had two kind of bad, nothing major experiences. I would strongly suggest looking at the bike before buying it and the pasts ask for pics.  If you can’t find anything you like in two years there a problem..

13 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

Included in this should be what happens when I'm the seller, and someone has a written agreement with (messages) to buy something, and then just disappears. This happens a lot too, and it's a big part of the reason why sellers basically just sell stuff to whoever pitches first with cash regardless of what arrangements have been made (which is kind of what started this whole discussion). As a seller, I don't want to turn people away that are willing to actually give me money in the hope that the guy that told me he's coming on the weekend actually pitches and doesn't change his mind or find a better deal or get denied by his management. 

I think the current "rating rules" say that you only should only rate someone if you actually buy/sell something from someone, and not just if you speak to them and the deal falls through. Maybe @Matt can correct me though?

8 minutes ago, mrcg said:

A clear-cut case for the return of classified comments, in conjunction with ratings.....????

Bump!

Then we could use the "Dibs" system, and "Second Dibs", and "I'll take it if those guys don't take it". That system worked at least as well as the current one. 

Loved the "smooth brain hubbers consider this business savvy" ;)????

My worst cycling related purchase to date was also my first and it was from a dealership, nice. In short I overpaid for a dodgy used bike. I was more discerning on the next bike purchase, which I still have - it's about to get a fork upgrade - bought today off the Hub WOOOO such excite. The seller was friendly and negotiable on price.

I've done probably 30 deals to date on the Hub (I'd guess) and all of them have been decent, however I did recently have an experience where someone listed a gravel bike for sale for a good price. We agreed to meet up to do the deal and about an hour or so before the agreed time the seller messaged to say he had changed his mind and was going to keep the bike. The price was good so part of me didn't believe the deal would happen. I replied "no worries, good luck" and left it at that. Hadn't thought about it much until I saw this thread.

Separately, good question @robbybzgo (revenge ratings)

6 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Bump!

Then we could use the "Dibs" system, and "Second Dibs", and "I'll take it if those guys don't take it". That system worked at least as well as the current one. 

Upping the price with a box of smarties.

7 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

Admin removes the spiteful rating against you, every time 

OP glad you posted here. 
Because I can make sure I never sell to you or buy from you. 

Bikehub and the rating system has worked well for me. 

Seems you want the @Matt to code the arseholeness out of peoples character 

Edited by Quagga