Paint Removal - Alloy Frame

Trevz

Good Morning Folks

I trust that you are all well.

Looking for some advice on removing paint from an alloy frame. I've removed like over 90% of it. I'm at the point where I'm not getting any joy at removing the paint at all the weld joints.

What's the best way to remove the paint in these tight spots?

Does it need to be stripped of ALL paint? I'm considering anodizing the frame. Not sure where yet. 

Thanks!

Media blast, water blast or acid dip. I know where to get these things done in CT, but not in the North - whoever's doing the anodising for you should know though.

Definitely a hydro blast as it is not a very aggressive method 

Think about how you wanting your anodizing to be finished. With any of the blasting methods you will achieve more of a satin finish. If you are wanting a smoother and shiny finish, you would more than likely have to spend some quality time with a bucket of warm water and water sand paper on that frame.

9 minutes ago, droo said:

Media blast, water blast or acid dip. I know where to get these things done in CT, but not in the North - whoever's doing the anodising for you should know though.

hmmm...good to know.

If you have time: elbow grease, WD40 and green scotch brite.

Done that to all 3 my previous RAW frame projects

26 minutes ago, porqui said:

Plascon makes a product "Removall"

Use as per instuctions

just wanted to post this. the best ghostbuster-looking-pink-ectoplasmic-slime there is. and you can basically rub it all o0ver yourself and not die either. (don't do that....all i mean is it is very enviro friendly)

There is a guy in Centurion that does sand/media blasting with very fine abrasive media. I was quite sceptical at first but then he demonstrated on a tappet cover he was doing. Here is a pic of the finish. This was perfect for my purposes and it was very close to the original finish of the frame. After a couple of coats of base and clear cote the finish is invisible. If you look closely you can still see where the original name was sprayed on. 

Obviously this is not suitable for an anodized finish. For anodising to look good the finish has to be absolutely perfect. Regardless of what you use it is still going to require a lot of elbow grease. 

954546F8-3B22-4508-833E-7B711404516D.jpeg

Edited by Mars1967

I have done this many times before and the bottom line is it's a difficult and labour intensive task.

I don't know anything about the hydro-blast method but would be worth looking into.

We used to use a soft steel brush to gently remove paint around the welds as well as scotch pad.

If you want to anodise then you will need to have absolutely every last flake of paint removed.

One of the most effective methods is to burn the paint off at high heat, but then you need the ability to heat treat the frame again.

29 minutes ago, Mars1967 said:

There is a guy in Centurion that does sand/media blasting with very fine abrasive media. I was quite sceptical at first but then he demonstrated on a tappet cover he was doing. Here is a pic of the finish. This was perfect for my purposes and it was very close to the original finish of the frame. After a couple of coats of base and clear cote the finish is invisible. If you look closely you can still see where the original name was sprayed on. 

Obviously this is not suitable for an anodized finish. For anodising to look good the finish has to be absolutely perfect. Regardless of what you use it is still going to require a lot of elbow grease. 

If I am not mistaken, the Titus graphics were etched or anodized into the frames back then?

7 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

If I am not mistaken, the Titus graphics were etched or anodized into the frames back then?

Laser etched onto the anodising I believe.

Yes the frame was anodized and it appeared as if the name was indeed etched. I was wondering how they got the graphics on the frame like that but laser engraving makes sense. 

Edited by Mars1967

On 7/12/2021 at 11:21 AM, Mars1967 said:

Hi. where did you get this done? any contacts?

Thanks for the input all. I don't mind the extra elbow grease to get the desired finish. I guess its the joints that are annoying me now because it seems impossible to remove the paint in those spots. I used paint remover as much as I can and done some sanding. So quite literally its at all the joints where there is paint.