Good affordable bike shop in Somerset West

Allrounder

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Who here can remember when CWC was where the pawn shop is by Lion square?

Frenchies with the Lotus in the window.

They were in Claremont before then (1980's). Lions Square was like a satellite shop

46 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

I work there yes.

WHY THE HANGER BIKE CO?

The Derailleur HANGER is an integral part of the Bicycle. Jonty and Andrew’s father, Arno Neethling, played an integral part in the boys cycling careers and helped grow SA cycling as a sport. As an international commissaire, some of his most notable jobs included the Commonwealth and Olympic Games.

Arno’s other love was flying – so the word HANGER, as in airplane HANGER HANGAR, stuck with the boys and seemed a fitting way to honour their father who passed away in February 2017.

The Goal was to create a place where people could “HANG out” and share their passion for bikes.

And so “The Hanger Bike Co.” was born.

I always thought it was a cool name for a bike shop but then I saw this in the about section and RESTDAYBIKEHUBINISSOCD kicked in

HANGER vs HANGAR

Helmet vs Helmut

Threw vs Through

#SEMANET   :)

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Much like Jo'burg, the only time I ever go near Somerset West is when I'm traveling and need to go through it.

That being said, I've been into Strand twice.

Lion Square? Nerdy beer?

i met a guy at my brother in laws bday party 2 years ago. He hasn't been in Cape Town in 4 years at that stage and lives in Durbanville. You are starting to sound like one of those guys haha????

2 minutes ago, MORNE said:

i met a guy at my brother in laws bday party 2 years ago. He hasn't been in Cape Town in 4 years at that stage and lives in Durbanville. You are starting to sound like one of those guys haha????

it is just because @Chewbacca landy runs out of oil before he gets there

1 hour ago, Patchelicious said:

aaai

17 minutes ago, MORNE said:

hahahaha when I came to meet you at the brewery a while ago I hadn't been to Salt River in years! If I didn't have sites to visit in town I would probably go there once or twice a year to collect running shoes or other sportsing equipment (other than road rides through there).

I'm definitely one of those guys!!

18 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

it is just because @Chewbacca landy runs out of oil before he gets there

My Landy now lives in Grotto bay..... I drive a suitably boring 4 door family car these days. It gets roughly 1000km to the tank. I am blown away by the fuel efficiency of modern cars that aren't shaped like bricks!

1 hour ago, Allrounder said:

The bit that I have been in SSW is way better than Brackenfell. Up to now, best decision for us. 

interesting, I moved from Strand to Brackenshire about 12 years ago and I wouldnt move back to the Helderberg for any money. road congestion there is just nuts, even after Broadway Bld was upgraded. Brackenshire is just so much more central for me. To each his own I guess...

34 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahaha when I came to meet you at the brewery a while ago I hadn't been to Salt River in years! If I didn't have sites to visit in town I would probably go there once or twice a year to collect running shoes or other sportsing equipment (other than road rides through there).

I'm definitely one of those guys!!

My Landy now lives in Grotto bay..... I drive a suitably boring 4 door family car these days. It gets roughly 1000km to the tank. I am blown away by the fuel efficiency of modern cars that aren't shaped like bricks!

In other words you are between Landies :)

3 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

Was this before or after their stint just off Voortrekker road in Bellville, next to Peter Allan Cycles ? 

Early 90's ...

38 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Was this before or after their stint just off Voortrekker road in Bellville, next to Peter Allan Cycles ? 

Early 90's ...

It was 1991/1992 got my first commute to school bike from there. Was a small 3 speed Raleigh MTB

Frenchies had the Lotus on display more around the mid 90s if memory serves me correctly. It was big news at the time as it was a South African design etc 

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Early 90's ...

I worked at this CWC next to PA Cycles ... it is where I "got into" cycling

32 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

It was 1991/1992 got my first commute to school bike from there. Was a small 3 speed Raleigh MTB

Frenchies had the Lotus on display more around the mid 90s if memory serves me correctly. It was big news at the time as it was a South African design etc 

and manufactured in Somerset West