AMP - south africa's greatest ever female cyclist

Shebeen

OK, I love the sentiments here.

Ash is one hell of a force in Women's cycling, she has raced and won, podiumed and voiced her opinion on equality in the peloton of pay vs men.......she is a champion for cycling on and off the bike.  I agree, Ash is our darling......but we as a culture favour men's racing over women......Hence the "Greg is the GOAT".........but I don't think comparing is fair.  Firstly the race scene for DH, XCO, TRACK and ROAD is truly so different.  Grand Tour riding is a whole level of pain, day In day out.  DH is intense, focus SKILLS, and guts......you can't compare .  If you ask Ash, she'll say Greg is the best.  If you Ask Greg he'll say Ash is.......their understanding of their sports is so that they can see the merits of each.

I just feel that Ash has never received enough credit for being so bloody good, consistent and amazing.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a massive fan of Ash, and she is definitely my favorite for top SA Female Road Cyclist. 

As far as top SA Cyclist, it's Greg, no question. Bring me your cyclists and tell me how many world titles in their trophy cabinet

• 4 weeks later...

Another "how long is a piece of string" thread... I love it. You're not comparing apples with apples because guys like The Idol and the Blonde Blitz were all competing during the apartheid era. Yes I know they sometimes raced over the waters under alias's but they were never allowed to compete openly against the best in the world for any extended period of time, like Robbie H did. Who knows what they might have achieved if allowed the freedom to take on the world. My first choice would be The Idol, (probably because I'm old school) and then it would be Robbie. Greg is in a class of his own, literally and figuratively so I'm not dumping him in the same basket. Ashleigh is awesome but no, I still don't think woman's cycling is close to being as competitive as the men field. It's improved incredibly over the years but it still has some way to go IMHO. A certain team with a 1,2,3 on a podium is an example of what I'm referring to (dons the flame suit). So maybe we should split this into the different cycling disciplines because it's like comparing Valentino Rossi with Ricky Carmichael.

1 hour ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Good podcast with AMP on Mitch Docker / The Cycling Podcasts' 'Life in the Peloton'. 

Got through half of it on my way home from the office today.

On 7/13/2021 at 1:18 PM, Lance Stephenson said:

OK, I love the sentiments here.

Ash is one hell of a force in Women's cycling, she has raced and won, podiumed and voiced her opinion on equality in the peloton of pay vs men.......she is a champion for cycling on and off the bike.  I agree, Ash is our darling......but we as a culture favour men's racing over women......Hence the "Greg is the GOAT".........but I don't think comparing is fair.  Firstly the race scene for DH, XCO, TRACK and ROAD is truly so different.  Grand Tour riding is a whole level of pain, day In day out.  DH is intense, focus SKILLS, and guts......you can't compare .  If you ask Ash, she'll say Greg is the best.  If you Ask Greg he'll say Ash is.......their understanding of their sports is so that they can see the merits of each.

I just feel that Ash has never received enough credit for being so bloody good, consistent and amazing.  

My title was intentionally a little bit clickbaity. I've adjusted it to include "female" and I think there will be no debate on this one really (no matter how many Argus wins anriette has). Great to see the support, and to be honest neither her nor Greg have got the wide local recognition they deserve.

58 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

AMP wins this hands down. She rides bikes really fast for a Chem Eng

Certainly one of the fastest ex Maties too.  Perhaps Willie was faster.  Wimpie will say he was faster....

Perhaps I'm the 2nd fastest ex Maties & Chem Eng combo?

51 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

Certainly one of the fastest ex Maties too.  Perhaps Willie was faster.  Wimpie will say he was faster....

Perhaps I'm the 2nd fastest ex Maties & Chem Eng combo?

2nd fastest overall, or fastest male? Makes a big difference to one’s palmares.

23 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Comparing Ashleigh to Greg is like comparing Prince to Queen or something like that - just don’t. ????

Queen was great but Prince was from another planet :) 

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

2nd fastest overall, or fastest male? Makes a big difference to one’s palmares.

We are all equal.....BTW there was only 2 as far as I know.