Need some serious advice - Want to buy my 1st bike

Dwergie007

Hi everybody,

I have never done mountain biking before. My main reason for wanting to start the sport are twofold, one for the obvious reason exercise and secondly to get out of the house and enjoy an activity with the wife. I cannot see us getting overly competitive or doing crazy difficult or technical trails with the wife.

I do not want to go rob a bank to buy two bikes for us, but also know that buying cheap might and most probably will cost more in the long run. My budget per bike is about R7k. The big problem it seems is getting frames for us as we both need a 17” to 18” frame as we both are only 1,7m tall. What complicates things for me is that I weigh 130kg. I am built like a juggernaut :)

Looking at bikes it is clear we will only be able to get hard tails in this price range, and I am fine with that. I have no problem buying 2nd hand, but you never know what you are buying so a new purchase will always be my 1st choice.

Any advice and wise words would be greatly appreciated.

Went through a similar exercise looking for a bike for my son. Sadly, R7k does not get you much. Bike prices have simply sky rocketed of late. 

I was fortunate enough to have picked up a really well looked after second hand bike for R5 500. They are there, but you have to find them. 

I agree with you, new is a better option for people new to the sport. The bike shop will make sure they are set up and of course you get a warranty. 

For your budget, value for money is your primary concern. Brands that offer this are Titan (probably the best at the moment), Silverback, Merida and Axis. Many people won't agree with me, but Avalanche also has some good value propositions. 

What bikes would we need if we just want to do "normal" trails at let's say at Red Door Barn and other likewise places for fitness?

Reflex 29er 1

Frame: 29 Alloy Tubing – internal gear cable
Fork: Coil L/Out | 100mm Travel
Stem: Avalanche Alloy 31.8mm | H42 | R: 7° |Length 80 mm
Handlebar: Avalanche Alloy 31.8 mm | 720mm | back sweep 7°
Seat post: Avalanche Alloy 30.9 mm | 300mm
Saddle: Avalanche custom sport
Cassette: 11-50T
Crank: Alloy – 170mm -32T
Gears: 1 x 11
Brakes: Hydraulic Disc
Wheels: Double wall Alloy Black Q/R
Colour: Blue / Orange
Sizes: 18″, 20″, 22″

RRP: 7 995.00

When you do buy your bikes please go for a setup. Riding your bike for +1hour can be hell if you are not setup correctly. 
Just enjoy the riding and in the beginning don't pressure yourselves with speed and distance. Just ride and enjoy

19 hours ago, Dwergie007 said:

Looking at bikes it is clear we will only be able to get hard tails in this price range, and I am fine with that. I have no problem buying 2nd hand, but you never know what you are buying so a new purchase will always be my 1st choice.

Nothing wrong with a hardtail, Mountain Biking doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to be fun. 

Kudos for starting MTB and for asking for advise. Second hand bikes might be a better option. As stated above, you might need to stretch your budget a tad. Is your budget only for the bikex or helmets as well - as that is the most important?

Also a second hand bike might give you the option of upgrading slowly. And please dont buy a bike from a retail store such as Makro, etc. You are new to the sport and we dont want you to learn the hard way. 

See if you can maybe meet someone from the this Hub in your area. Thats the best way to learn. 

Good luck and welcome.