New Road Bike

GIRR

Hi hubbers

I'm looking to get a new road bike for someone in the region of 20k, what are some good ones to look at?  Just not specialized or trek.

What are gt's road bikes like?

It's going to have to be a 60cm top tube and I know a few brands dont make that size in a carbon frame.

thanksThumbs%20Up

You can get a full carbon merida 907 with ultergra for 21k at cyclelab' date='Ive got one and it's an awesome bike.

http://www2.merida-bikes.com/en_ZA/Bikes.Detail.39
[/quote']

wow thats a nice bike is there the option of getting the red coloured one?

the person whom the bike is for has a large inseam length which suggests a bike size of 60 or 61cm, now the largest frame of the 907 has a 59cm top tube length does anyone know if this bike would still fit him properly then?

How long's his inseam? My old 59cm 904 fit my 94cm inseam OK.

Just be careful of sizing the frame based on inseam only - I was too stretched out on the 59cm frame due to my arms being shorter than normal.

Here's a link to my old thread on this topic:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=24298

Somewhere in there is a useful link (posted by Christie, I think) to a fit calculator that you could use as a starting point for sizing.

Yes I also rode a 59cm Merida scultura Flx and I have an inseam of 92cm. Like Edman I also found the top tube at 59cm to long and had to shorten the stem to a 80mm one.

Awesome bike though.

I'd go for the GT. The Pro retails for around 20K.

I reckon that it has two things going for it.

> Colour, you gotta love that green.

> Its pretty rare.

20080706_041415_2590_567_medium.jpg

How long's his inseam? My old 59cm 904 fit my 94cm inseam OK.

Just be careful of sizing the frame based on inseam only - I was too stretched out on the 59cm frame due to my arms being shorter than normal.

Here's a link to my old thread on this topic:
https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=24298
Somewhere in there is a useful link (posted by Christie' date=' I think) to a fit calculator that you could use as a starting point for sizing.
[/quote']

Thanx Edman you asked pretty much the same question I did.

To be honest I don't really trust bike fit calculators as whenever I tried to use them they have given me some bizzarre results.

The person whom the bike is for is about 6'3'' or 6'4'' so not exactly short.  I don't know his measurements off hand and he's overseas at the moment.

At the moment I think it's between the gt (just looks so cool) and the merida(also looks really cool and is better known) for me.  I'm going to look on monday and decide which to get.