UCT XC circuit update?

Borrels

Hi all

Anyone know the status of the UCT XCO track after the fires and if/when they will be rideable again? 
I am aware segments of TM are still not rideable but I imagine the fire must have damaged the tracks badly? 
Thanks a lot

I went up there on Sunday - there's nothing left.  Any bridges and ramps are all burnt and broken, the trail hasn't been used and is pretty much non existent.  Weirdly enough, most of the signage is still up and intact even with everything being burnt around it.  

As with all of upper campus, the tracks are still closed. You are not allowed up there unless you have specific permission to be on campus, and very few have, mostly postgraduate researchers, admin and repair / maintenance staff. The Covid 3rd wave must subside first before campus will partly reopen. As for it going back to "before Covid" status, I think that is still  very far off .

There is no time frame yet for opening upper campus or the XC track, but I would not bet money on it opening by years end, perhaps even later? I have an idea UCT will have to cut a lot of the tall pines there to make it safe and reduce the fire risk, perhaps clear cut that whole slope, and that will take time. The logging will also destroy the tracks and they will then need serious rebuilding. (Thumbsuck / guess, I know.)

The jumps below the M3 are open and rideable. Some of the local diggers / jumpers have started fixing them up again. However, many have gone home when UCT shut down and there was no longer a need for them to stay on or close to campus, so don't expect the usual winter digging and building to happen.

4 hours ago, DJR said:

As with all of upper campus, the tracks are still closed. You are not allowed up there unless you have specific permission to be on campus, and very few have, mostly postgraduate researchers, admin and repair / maintenance staff. The Covid 3rd wave must subside first before campus will partly reopen. As for it going back to "before Covid" status, I think that is still  very far off .

There is no time frame yet for opening upper campus or the XC track, but I would not bet money on it opening by years end, perhaps even later? I have an idea UCT will have to cut a lot of the tall pines there to make it safe and reduce the fire risk, perhaps clear cut that whole slope, and that will take time. The logging will also destroy the tracks and they will then need serious rebuilding. (Thumbsuck / guess, I know.)

The jumps below the M3 are open and rideable. Some of the local diggers / jumpers have started fixing them up again. However, many have gone home when UCT shut down and there was no longer a need for them to stay on or close to campus, so don't expect the usual winter digging and building to happen.

Hi DJR

I ride through UCT upper campus at least twice a week.  There is no signage indicating no entry that I have seen.  There are just security guards at the main entrance, and they have never tried to stop me.

Andrew

4 hours ago, Andrew Buckley said:

Hi DJR

I ride through UCT upper campus at least twice a week.  There is no signage indicating no entry that I have seen.  There are just security guards at the main entrance, and they have never tried to stop me.

Andrew

I am UCT student and currently, as far as I am aware, no one is supposed to have access to campus without having filled out a health check. This may even have been extended to no access to campus unless you have permission to be there, as last time I was there was still below level 4. They don’t seem willing to man every entrance so I’m sure you can still get in some ways, I’m just not sure you’re really supposed to. That’s my understanding anyway, I’m probably wrong as I’m on holiday and haven’t checked my UCT emails in ages. 

12 hours ago, Andrew Buckley said:

Hi DJR

Andrew

Yes, they seem to be relaxed about cycling through, but if you enter at a place where there is access control, like from Woolsack Drive, they will sometimes stop you. If you enter from one of the other directions where there are no guards or gates, there is nothing stopping you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 10:39 PM, Borrels said:

Hi all

Anyone know the status of the UCT XCO track after the fires and if/when they will be rideable again? 
I am aware segments of TM are still not rideable but I imagine the fire must have damaged the tracks badly? 
Thanks a lot

If you are looking for a XCO loop nearby, I have a 4km on the town side. I think its pretty cool. Let me know if you are interested. Going to try map it properly in the next week or so.