MRI scan Cape Town

ibruegge

Hi, so my medical aid doesn’t cover costs for a  hip MRI, at R9K, which currently I don’t have.  Is there a way to go to public hospitals / radiologists - not sure where to start. Any experiences with this? Thanks fir your help 

• 1 month later...

Missed this one.  Did you get sorted?

You can go the state route, but you will need a doctors referral letter to an state orthopedic surgeon who will then request an MRI or CT Scan.  The biggest problem is the backlog on this.  You can get an MRI, but take it that you have a job, so if you get an income the state will charge you think R3500 (this was in 2019) for an  MRI scan. 

I know a few medical aids claims back from the state.  Ours even has the option to go to a state facility and pay less to go there than private practice.  Thing is you get state medicine and care (which I might add is better at state hospitals than private hospitals these days.  I do not understand how medical aids refuse to pay for MRI scans. Medical Aids are so full of poo!