Gravel events for a noob (to racing)

Stavros94

Hey ! After some time in the saddle I’m keen to start riding some gravel events. 

Is there anything coming up ? 

27 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Postponed.... Morne beat me to it!

Styvie, don't wait for 'events', they are not something you want to rely on.

Have a look at some of Rae Trew-Brown's adventures and routes, plan a trip and smash it

Agree. Events can be overated.

40 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Postponed.... Morne beat me to it!

Styvie, don't wait for 'events', they are not something you want to rely on.

Have a look at some of Rae Trew-Brown's adventures and routes, plan a trip and smash it

Don't want to sound too negative but these days I see events as a safe way to enjoy spicific routes 100% worry free lol.

I also subscribe to #partypace these days. 

Edited by MORNE

Thanks guys ! Yea I normally ride on my own so that’s why I was keen on an event as Morne mentioned just a safe fun day or few days out with nothing else to worry about besides riding. Been looking at raes routes and missions and am planning a proper one towards the end of this year with a few mates from CT. I’m currently based in knysna 

thanks guys 

10 hours ago, Styvie said:

Thanks guys ! Yea I normally ride on my own so that’s why I was keen on an event as Morne mentioned just a safe fun day or few days out with nothing else to worry about besides riding. Been looking at raes routes and missions and am planning a proper one towards the end of this year with a few mates from CT. I’m currently based in knysna 

thanks guys 

Living in Knysna you are so prime for safe adventures. Ride to Wilderness and back from thesen island and that’s 100miles all perfectly safe  

due to my planned 100milers being cancelled(2nd year in a row so I’m not calling it postponed) I’m doing my own 

11 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Living in Knysna you are so prime for safe adventures. Ride to Wilderness and back from thesen island and that’s 100miles all perfectly safe  

due to my planned 100milers being cancelled(2nd year in a row so I’m not calling it postponed) I’m doing my own 

Yea it’s soft of safe up here still... definitely getting more sketchy as the unemployment peaks with all these covid lock downs. 

Are you going to do that route ? Thesen to wilderness ? I’m guessing via seven passes ? 

39 minutes ago, Styvie said:

Yea it’s soft of safe up here still... definitely getting more sketchy as the unemployment peaks with all these covid lock downs. 

Are you going to do that route ? Thesen to wilderness ? I’m guessing via seven passes ? 

I actually do it pretty regularly in one direction, usually I get dropped off in Knysna and ride home.  I Live in Hoekwil so I often (probably once a week) ride towards Knysna but turn off down Barrington and loop back home close to Sedge and via Hoogekraal

I have never ridden 100 miles but am planning the Thesen island and back (150km from my door) pretty soon.  Nowhere along this route is it remotely sketchy 

I should maybe do the reverse get dropped in hoekwill and ride home . Sounds pretty rad! Iv just finished the gravel bike build and am waiting on some finishing touches to arrive and then I think I’ll tackle it ! 

stoked to hear you say it’s safe I definitely just over think it a lot . 

appreciate the advice and input we should link one day for that ride! 

8 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I actually do it pretty regularly in one direction, usually I get dropped off in Knysna and ride home.  I Live in Hoekwil so I often (probably once a week) ride towards Knysna but turn off down Barrington and loop back home close to Sedge and via Hoogekraal

I have never ridden 100 miles but am planning the Thesen island and back (150km from my door) pretty soon.  Nowhere along this route is it remotely sketchy 

George area and inland from Hartenbos and  Mosselbay there are miles of perfect scenic gravel roads with almost no traffic or people other than the local friendly farmersIao-gbg8cRzuAuXxJESEWIIkOPCp7olThvHIgHUw1LkgJuE3AFJt3j18NRAKCMUUnh4q_lyLMYzGHerEPyRJ5UybXQyndcRetsmaq_VON6QUrLTW6vy3EJuWDLCp1dUtF3EDH4usMcxMqHPaeCwBIpWQGLoNsY3Mz_izjgr0Tpme1KnC9lObArOKKqFIYoW1z1tBziSlyAtltZBB5WtO0UuDoFd2EGca5W-R-0z93DXZJbCID0fuqA0zhBOPW7R6FD0E-obvbVIEvQjhXQ26WJVABQ4NoZNsrF57O4FmkKKjovQftbjJFqHDuRSO9wFzkCGx8DFpeP0DF0dsfDIOXAg4A2ypmg7zZ7xBSR9Mzz-0hXQ-KJh7DToXwKpv_5FhlhnoqWwrxpRwIeth1SE9NgUfO0CkQi5af8E-r0sGCMobNHEbw1qDPW-Gfpu3UYdCG2_8eTiJyB-XJAOtjOdcdodUx9feGumWi9lN3t_FOmUks4aUrt9vkbRnonntTuZvIlS46h1oDTQ99E01SD86WyQWmIip51Yq_2SzyMpRaBzIkMovzAmvNXi_e-ifPkomRl8An4vGVkVkSGsZoI0qOCXC9WIUYCmeWGl3vONwPv4dBXshVVk2Fp3sA_2Lf_hgYzEnu9JFeKbljCIYjollgyjidRMXSXcP3lssSrYwZgPDbT6ARNMGEIuJ9-mYcgF_EkDx67FxqYG1amqeaICC4f_9=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

Edited by eala