Cycling on the Cheap - Alternatives

Karakoram

Cycling is not cheap. In these trying times, it is always great to find cheaper alternatives that will work equally or nearly as well as the expensive main-stream items.

Here are some of the my finds, perhaps you could add to the list to help other cash-strapped cyclists out there:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The K-Way Edge 2 should work with the Vibram sole. Good price as well. I'm not crazy about the shape of the sole with the inset part in the key middle area of the sole but if you aren't an enduro bro then it should work just fine. 

That sealant looks interesting. 

Speed agnostic MTB shifters. Shifts anything. (3 x 10, 2 x 9 etc). Sunrace SLM 10 MTB friction shifters.  R155 for a pair including cables.  (Shipping excluded). I've been using these shifters on two of my bicycles and they are bomb-proof, work extremely well and require no indexing setup. URL: https://www.ebay.com/itm/363462396584?hash=item54a00c0aa8:g:UIoAAOSwjVhfpm1W

Edited by Karakoram

Make rice cakes - cheaper than the cr-@-p that comes in wrappers and has as much energy as .

• Boil rice like normal;
  • Warm up coconut oil, peanut butter and a filling of your choice (pie apples, raisins, etc.) in another pan (peanut butter and coconut oil should be liquid);
  • Mix in with rice and place in pan (I use a bread pan);
  • Add blended nuts and syrup/honey if you prefer a sweeter taste;
  • Chill in fridge overnight.
  • Add electrolytes to your bottle and eat whole foods instead of the sugary cr-@-p.

A tub of "energy" powder costs R350 - R400, for 18-20 servings; R20/bottle per ride (44g/portion), so R40 per ride.
Rice: R20/Kg, 70g carbs per 100g (my portion size). without filling it's the equivalent to R2/bottle, or R4/ride.
Yum-Yum Peanut butter: 2 tsp, ignore the nutrition as it's negligible, R75/Kg (2x tsp is <10g), so R75/200/2=R0.35/serving
Raisins: R25/250g: 25g per batch, R1.56 per batch

I can go on, but the rice cakes cost is minimal compared to gels and bottle mix. Plus you get to control the taste.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Make rice cakes - cheaper than the cr-@-p that comes in wrappers and has as much energy as .

• Boil rice like normal;
  • Warm up coconut oil, peanut butter and a filling of your choice (pie apples, raisins, etc.) in another pan (peanut butter and coconut oil should be liquid);
  • Mix in with rice and place in pan (I use a bread pan);
  • Add blended nuts and syrup/honey if you prefer a sweeter taste;
  • Chill in fridge overnight.
  • Add electrolytes to your bottle and eat whole foods instead of the sugary cr-@-p.

A tub of "energy" powder costs R350 - R400, for 18-20 servings; R20/bottle per ride (44g/portion), so R40 per ride.
Rice: R20/Kg, 70g carbs per 100g (my portion size). without filling it's the equivalent to R2/bottle, or R4/ride.
Yum-Yum Peanut butter: 2 tsp, ignore the nutrition as it's negligible, R75/Kg (2x tsp is <10g), so R75/200/2=R0.35/serving
Raisins: R25/250g: 25g per batch, R1.56 per batch

I can go on, but the rice cakes cost is minimal compared to gels and bottle mix. Plus you get to control the taste.

I tried GCNs recipe twice. I found the rice cakes broke apart (crumbled) to easy. Havent tried then again, but I do prefer whole foods on longer rides instead of gels all the time.

7 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I tried GCNs recipe twice. I found the rice cakes broke apart (crumbled) to easy. Havent tried then again, but I do prefer whole foods on longer rides instead of gels all the time.

Happened to me at first, then found out that the coconut oil helps bind the rice. I can validate that as true.

On 7/14/2021 at 9:45 AM, Steady Spin said:

The K-Way Edge 2 should work with the Vibram sole. Good price as well. I'm not crazy about the shape of the sole with the inset part in the key middle area of the sole but if you aren't an enduro bro then it should work just fine. 

That sealant looks interesting. 

Yes, the soles are okay. Good when dry, but not as grippy when wet, overall not bad at all. The uppers of the K-Way shoes are water repellent which is way better than my aging Five Tens. They really soak up water from wet overgrown single track vegetation.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, ouzo said:

Use Arborio or Basmasti rice, don't wash it before you cook it.

We should have a thread that follows specials - I think there is one but mainly tells of Onedayonly specials. 
Would be great to see stuff like tyres on sale - but it needs to be really a bargain not just -10% CWC sales - would also be good for sales I am sure.

53 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

Use Arborio or Basmasti rice, don't wash it before you cook it.

I think I am going to try this recipe. Sound wholesome and good. Another favourite power snack I take along on longer rides are some dates. (Not the blind kind ????). 

Im old school when it comes eating on the ride . I buy long (200mm lengths ) of nougat and cut them up into 20mm blocks and freeze them . I use dates and big raisins combined with the nougat while riding if its longer than a 2 hour ride . In my small Tupperware container i also have a peanut butter sachet . I dont use supplement drinks only water and in all my years on a bike i have never had a cramp , hunger or a complete energy failure . Cost wise its not more than R5.00 per ride . 

I like energy balls. 

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/

We also buy raisins, nuts,seeds etc in bulk  and make our own trail mix. 

Riding Singlespeed in winter saves a lot of money. And it's a lot of fun. 

I buy most of my riding shirts in the running department at Mr Price Sport. Their jackets are also nice. 

Edited by PhilipV

56 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Looks interesting, will try them - thanks.

I make these chickpea balls as snacks but they're not great for on the bike as they tend to get a bit soft when warm. I throw in coconut & dates instead of the chocolate. Plus always use the no sugar, no salt peanut butter.

https://www.rhodesquality.com/recipes/chickpea-and-oat-energy-ball/