Phantom 5 : to buy or not to buy?

Jonesy

About to pull the trigger on this...With this machine discontinued by the agent, is it a bad idea investing in one of these? Anyone know if parts/servicing are available through alternate channels?? BicyclePower cant provide any information other than its discontinued...

All replies appreciated. 

Thanks

What are you okes 'Droning' on about?

(A phantom 5 is a drone? Or did Billy Zane Make 4 other movies wearing a purple suit?)

Edited by Jewbacca

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

About to pull the trigger on this...With this machine discontinued by the agent, is it a bad idea investing in one of these? Anyone know if parts/servicing are available through alternate channels?? BicyclePower cant provide any information other than its discontinued...

All replies appreciated. 

Thanks

Hi as i explained on the phone, the CycleOps Phantom 5 has been discontinued (has been for a number of years now) as have all associated spare / replacement parts. We are out of stock with no further abilities to restock due to the above mentioned -  product and support parts have been discontinued from the original supplier. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

3 hours ago, BicyclePower said:

Hi as i explained on the phone, the CycleOps Phantom 5 has been discontinued (has been for a number of years now) as have all associated spare / replacement parts. We are out of stock with no further abilities to restock due to the above mentioned -  product and support parts have been discontinued from the original supplier. 

Yes I know.... that's why I'm asking if anyone else has parts/servicing solutions for your ex-brand.

4 hours ago, Chris_ said:

Investment - winner.

Maintenance will be monumentally expensive though.

933785916_Rolls-RoycePhantom5.JPG.12ca9c03c1161733c8a429b70ece4097.JPG

Thanks Chris... just would like to know who I could turn to when service/parts required. 

4 hours ago, Jensie said:

Do the maintenance yourself as your LBS will over charge you for parts. 

Thanks Jensie.... question is regarding parts availability?

If it is such an issue for parts and servicing and from prices I have seen advertised.  I would suggest it be better to get a smart trainer and put a cheap road bike permanently on it.  Price I think would be similar? 

What is your reason for wanting a Phantom 5 over a new smart trainer with warranty and availability of spares?

2 hours ago, shaper said:

If it is such an issue for parts and servicing and from prices I have seen advertised.  I would suggest it be better to get a smart trainer and put a cheap road bike permanently on it.  Price I think would be similar? 

What is your reason for wanting a Phantom 5 over a new smart trainer with warranty and availability of spares?

Yeah good question.... well I like the sturdiness of it and mainly the ease of use for multiple users. This is also working out (initial outlay), far cheaper than a good smart trainer plus a spare cheapish road bike.

14 hours ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

I would rather go for the Phantom 3 ......................................................................................... the Banshee Phantom 3 that is :P

Banshee Phantom V3 2020 - Downhiller's XC Bike

I can confirm that this will be way more fun than an IDT.

On 7/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, BicyclePower said:

This seems like a pretty simple explanation to me. 

No support and no spares = get something else :)

On 7/14/2021 at 11:12 AM, Chris_ said:

Investment - winner.

Maintenance will be monumentally expensive though.

933785916_Rolls-RoycePhantom5.JPG.12ca9c03c1161733c8a429b70ece4097.JPG

Mint condition, only one lady owner

On 7/14/2021 at 10:34 AM, Jonesy said:

All replies appreciated. 

Thanks

so you're obviously just weighing up the cost of buying something that is functional but already obsolete. it is a bit hard to get a comment if we don't know what you're paying.

if it's R5k, then go for it. R15k, yeah, na.