Phantom 5 : to buy or not to buy?

Jonesy

4 hours ago, droo said:

I can confirm that this will be way more fun than an IDT.

Riding a rigid on badly corrugated roads are better than an IDT .... 

I even commuted at 5:30 this morning with snow on the mountains ... just to not get on the IDT tonight ...

On 7/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, BicyclePower said:

Hi as i explained on the phone, the CycleOps Phantom 5 has been discontinued (has been for a number of years now) as have all associated spare / replacement parts. We are out of stock with no further abilities to restock due to the above mentioned -  product and support parts have been discontinued from the original supplier. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

In your experience with them in your studio, what are the major issues encountered where spares would be a problem?

Can you let us know what spare parts the bike would require other than the friction pad for the flywheel?

What are the consumables that would be a problem?

There is someone trying to buy a working one at an affordable price, can you shed some light on the above as well as what can and cant be done down the line. Im sure that would go a long way in building ties with "potential" customers down the line by assisting with some solid advice on something they or anyone else can use now.

Not everyone can afford a brand new smart trainer right now in these times.

Jonesy,

I bought a Cycleops Phantom 5 on the hub in October last year - it is the bomb!  I have had no trouble with it and I and use it regularly.  I was not aware that spares etc are no longer available which is a bit concerning.  So far nothing has gone wrong - it is bullet proof.   I am connected on the older version of Rouvy through my laptop - this has great pre-defined programs to follow and these work very well, but the reality ride part does not work well on mine.   Taking into account the fact that parts will not be avaiable, it is only a good buy at a bargain price and assuming currently in good and working condition.  For reference, I paid R10k for mine.

Edited by Greg Perry

19 hours ago, ChUkKy said:

In your experience with them in your studio, what are the major issues encountered where spares would be a problem?

Can you let us know what spare parts the bike would require other than the friction pad for the flywheel?

What are the consumables that would be a problem?

There is someone trying to buy a working one at an affordable price, can you shed some light on the above as well as what can and cant be done down the line. Im sure that would go a long way in building ties with "potential" customers down the line by assisting with some solid advice on something they or anyone else can use now.

Not everyone can afford a brand new smart trainer right now in these times.

Thanks for your contribution Chukky. Very well put... It never ceases to amaze me  the difference in attitude you find when people know they can make money out of you,  as opposed to when they know they can't or won't in the short-term.  Being pro-active in assisting someone will only grow your brand and your reputation. Very short sighted in my opinion. 

20 hours ago, Greg Perry said:

Jonesy,

I bought a Cycleops Phantom 5 on the hub in October last year - it is the bomb!  I have had no trouble with it and I and use it regularly.  I was not aware that spares etc are no longer available which is a bit concerning.  So far nothing has gone wrong - it is bullet proof.   I am connected on the older version of Rouvy through my laptop - this has great pre-defined programs to follow and these work very well, but the reality ride part does not work well on mine.   Taking into account the fact that parts will not be avaiable, it is only a good buy at a bargain price and assuming currently in good and working condition.  For reference, I paid R10k for mine.

Thanks for the input Greg... much appreciated. That the very same issues I'm contemplating. However its really good to hear your experience. Enjoy it and hope you have many trouble free miles on it.