Old school versus new school!

Eldron

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I used to mountain bike in the Witfontein forests in George on a Hansom during the 90's. These days okes ride #Endurobro on those same trails with the 170mm dual sus monster bikes wearing the latest gear such as full face helmets. fox and/or Leatt full body armor, "in case, like ,they fall bru". On the weekends that bike was a mountain bike. During the week it took me to school, home, school sports, mates, home again. Good times. No strava, no HRM's, no KOM's, just pure fun.

Hansom Bicycle - Australian Cycling Forums - Bicycles Network Australia

So what bike are you gonna take when you ride Witfontein now?

11 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

I rode the Witfontein funduro on a 24" kids bike last year. It was rad!

32 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

My 80mm XC bike of course...the Camber would be overkill...????

23 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Doctor and lawyers rejoice! The new S-Works is coming just for this technical masterpiece. 

Heaven forbid that one states here that the road in that picture is perfect for a gravel bike...

Edited by Stefan Cremer
Grammar

On 7/15/2021 at 10:03 AM, Eldron said:

I know it isn't Friday yet but I saw this pic and thought "this should be good for 4,500 pages of knob wanding on thehub".

old new.jpg

This reminds me of a time when I was standing in a bike shop and the sales guy was telling me that bike geometry had pretty much been perfected now and all the would really change in the future was that components would improve. Although obvious, the statement about components was correct. But the comment about geometry being static going forward was a pretty big (and incorrect) call given that this was 2004 and we were looking at a 2004 Specialized Rockhopper. I guess it depends on your frame of reference; a modern day hardtail is very similar to a 2004 rockhopper if you're comparing it to a penny farthing but I still laugh when I think about that conversation and how confident the salesman was in his assertions. I wouldn't even be able to replace the 26inch tyres in that same shop a few years later.