Towball mounted racks - the good, the bad, the ugly. Please help me make the right purchase

6 minutes ago, Azi said:

There was a company in Europe that manufactured a towball that could be mounted directly to a wall for the purpose of storing bike racks, but they didnt ship to SA. Do you know where to get a wall mounted towball, or if you have pics of how to mount a towball meant for a vehicle to the wall would appreciate it. 

standard tow ball with 2 bolts

2 rawl bolts into wall

simple enoughImage result for tow ball with 4 holes

Edited by rorydewet

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Azi said:

There was a company in Europe that manufactured a towball that could be mounted directly to a wall for the purpose of storing bike racks, but they didnt ship to SA. Do you know where to get a wall mounted towball, or if you have pics of how to mount a towball meant for a vehicle to the wall would appreciate it. 

There is guy on Facebook that makes these. Stores the rack flat against the wall hanging down. 

Normal towball will still have the rack in a horizontal position taking up space. 

11 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

There is guy on Facebook that makes these. Stores the rack flat against the wall hanging down. 

Normal towball will still have the rack in a horizontal position taking up space. 

Hanging flat on the wall would be first prize. Can’t seem to find him. Do you have a name?

12 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

ja the point of that is you use the actual horizontal rack to store bikes!

if you just want to hang it on the wall, then just hang it on the wall. no need to overthink it

8 hours ago, Azi said:

Hanging flat on the wall would be first prize. Can’t seem to find him. Do you have a name?

The bike rack balls.  We have partner with positive sports solutions , to supply the bike shop near you. You can contact them to hear which shop near you have stock. 

https://positivesportssolutions.co.za/

20210720_060432.jpg

IMG-20210308-WA0047.jpeg

IMG-20210302-WA0026.jpeg

Must say, I am really liking the idea of moving to a tow hitch receiver type bike rack.

Not having a tow ball at all in the mix, just slot it into the receiver and pop the pin in.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:46 AM, Furbz said:

i would also try out Volvo - rebranded Thule rack with nicer lights.

i bought mine from the Durban branch. at the time it was around 40% cheaper than buying from Thule - all i have to put up with is a small volvo sign on the rack

I also have one of these .The bigger one can take my XL and XXL bikes and i can carry 3 bikes ,all L and bigger .The tilt is a must 

On 7/16/2021 at 11:22 AM, LBKloppers said:

I have had a rather expensive experience with these racks.

Although the ball is rather tough, the tow bar and the way it is mounted on the vehicle has restrictions that a vehicle owner is not necessarily aware of. Any tow bar mounted on something like those Land Rover struts should be fine, but many are mounted somewhere down there where it is out of sight and out of mind. Do not be caught out!

Remember having bikes at any offset from the ball is a lever. Your rack may be rated for 60Kgs but you drive along the roads going through the bumps and potholes, those bikes on the rack exert a force many times more than the rack's rating. And when you add the bike rack to towing a caravan or a trailer, that force and load adds to the strain a tow bar must bear. My tow bar broke of underneath the car on the road between Mariental and Windhoek. Long distances and a steady slow metal fatigue doing its thing.

Just be careful.

Thats crazy. Did your insurance pay….. I hope. Did the actual towbar break or the subframe below the vehicle??

Thanks for the input though, much appreciated

6 hours ago, Fires987 said:

The bike rack balls.  We have partner with positive sports solutions , to supply the bike shop near you. You can contact them to hear which shop near you have stock. 

https://positivesportssolutions.co.za/

Why anyone would use the word POSITIVE in their cycling company name just floors me, must have been a real bender when they thought that was a good idea!

27 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Why anyone would use the word POSITIVE in their cycling company name just floors me, must have been a real bender when they thought that was a good idea!

www.negativesportssolutions.co.za was taken 

35 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

It's funny cause under their sponsored teams they still proudly have a picture of Lynette Burger????