First Time in Cape Town

DogMTB

I have the opportunity to ride some trails for the 1st time in Cape Town tomorrow!

From what I see online I can ride either Tokai MTB trails (https://tokaimtb.co.za/trails/) or Table Mountain (http://www.tablemountainbikers.co.za/dev/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Table-Mountain-MTB-Club-Maps-PRINT.pdf).

My family will be in Constantia Nek area @ La Parada for lunch. I would like to ask the locals on what you think is the best place to ride 3-4 hours and ideally finish either in Hout Bay or at La Parada.

I don't mind black routes and I'm relatively fit, would love to do some hard climbs to masts, towers etc! Also is the process of getting a day pass simple or have they made some changed due to COVID?

Thanks!

From La Parada your best bet will be Tokai mtb trails - Day permit is R97 CASH at the gate.

You can easily cycle from the Restaurant to the start (maybe 6-7km).

If you want a nice challenge go straight up to the top of the mast, as you come down again where you will pass a little picnic table bench, you go straight up there which will take you into Silvermine reserve.

Cycle up the tar road to the first car park on your right and head back onto jeep track. Keep following the road and just about 100m before you reach the top of the climb, there is a path that veers off to the right known as the DONKEY trail.

This takes you right back down and back into Tokai trails.

Here you can head back up the same path you did heading towards silvermine reserve and go up to the right where the road splits again and ride down the COBRA (black trail) and continue all the way down the rest of the snake trails towards the exit gate.

This should give you LOADS of elevation and a good 70 odd km and some really cool trails.

Disclaimer - access points to Cobra and Donkey trails are not very well marked.

The bike shop down the road from the start of the trails (at the roundabout) has a really cool picture of all the trails on their wall that you can take a picture of to help you with a bit of guidance.

First time on Tokai trails, it's quite easy to get a bit lost.

Welcome to Cape Town!

If you're looking for the best marked and safest trails and bearing La Parada in mind, Tokai is your best bet. Simply rock up at the picnic area parking area at Tokai, buy a day permit from the entrance hut, and head up the mountain.

Tomorrow is going to be busy, you'll have no shortage of visitors to ask for directions. Ride up the main jeep track, if you're feeling super fit head all the way up to the mast (but don't that alone, it's the only "remote" part of Tokai) and then hit all the Snake Trails and Vasbyt on the way down. 

Enjoy!

Agree on Tokai. 

I can end you a Strava/Garmin route if you want that is pretty much the route in the second post. 

Shout if you want it.

M

As mentioned, Tokai is the best option if you want the mast climb and fun single track, but an alternative (depending on your preferred flavour) is cross over directly from the La Parada to the Constantia Nek car park and follow the signs. Ride towards town along the side of the mountain. The trails are less technical (for the most part) than Tokai but the views and workout are great. You can turn back at any point or loop around the front of the mountain (up to the blockhouse even) and ride the town and Camps Bay trails. Before heading back to La Parada via Suikerbossie - this bit is tar unfortunately but drop down through the security estate at the top of Suikerbossie for a little bit more dirt fun. The best route and finding the single track can get a bit more difficult to find once you get to the townside of the mountain.

29 minutes ago, copperhead said:

Safety should be fine alone. The bakkie goes up Tokai at 9 for an hour or two for security. As mentioned there will be loads of riders around. Including myself. Silver rigid bike if you see me. Happy to join you for a bit and show you some stuff. 0795256841 if you want to whattsapp. Permit is only cash as said. Very quick and efficient. Lots of water on the mountain for drinking. Coffee at bootleggers after. It is a tradition. Hope to see you up there. Greg. 

Serious question, where?

28 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

Serious question, where?

There is lots! Rivers are flowing in every single fold currently. There is also the 365 option at the bottom of the bridal path

17 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There is lots! Rivers are flowing in every single fold currently. There is also the 365 option at the bottom of the bridal path

didnt know the water was safe to drink.

What is the 365 option?

6 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

didnt know the water was safe to drink.

What is the 365 option?

There is a stream that flows all year round at the bottom of the bridal path.

Safe to drink? Rule of thumb is that you don't drink down stream from housing settlements or cattle crossings. As far as I know there aren't too many of either on the mountain. If there is nothing 'human' up stream from where you are, mountain fresh is usually the best water you will ever drink

Wow thanks everyone for the feedback!!! ????

@copperhead Will pop you a whatsapp and let you know what time I'll be there etc if you want to ride together!

@mikemac Thank you please send the GPX file/Strava, even if I don't use it tomorrow I will definitely use it in the future!

Here's a tip from first hand experience.

no matter how enticing the water looks do NOT walk on rocks in a stream wearing cleats...seriously. 

I tried this at Jonkershoek earlier this year and I was thinking it was a bad idea, and while thinking that I went down and just about cracked my wrist. I could not use that hand for two days after.

17 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There is a stream that flows all year round at the bottom of the bridal path.

Safe to drink? Rule of thumb is that you don't drink down stream from housing settlements or cattle crossings. As far as I know there aren't too many of either on the mountain. If there is nothing 'human' up stream from where you are, mountain fresh is usually the best water you will ever drink

thank you 

3 hours ago, Nick said:

As mentioned, Tokai is the best option if you want the mast climb and fun single track, but an alternative (depending on your preferred flavour) is cross over directly from the La Parada to the Constantia Nek car park and follow the signs. Ride towards town along the side of the mountain. The trails are less technical (for the most part) than Tokai but the views and workout are great. You can turn back at any point or loop around the front of the mountain (up to the blockhouse even) and ride the town and Camps Bay trails. Before heading back to La Parada via Suikerbossie - this bit is tar unfortunately but drop down through the security estate at the top of Suikerbossie for a little bit more dirt fun. The best route and finding the single track can get a bit more difficult to find once you get to the townside of the mountain.

#spicygravel

3 hours ago, Nick said:

I thought that section (rhodes, blockhouse sections) is still close?

9 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

Very well might be. Didn't think of that. I haven't ridden that area for a long time, apologies.

1 hour ago, YaseenEnos said:

Yes, the Rhodes Memorial to Deer Park stretch still closed after the fires. No timeline for reopening . Assuming many more months.