Track-bike nuts as a replacement for flange nuts?

Afrozoolander

I have a single-speed bicycle that I love very much. However, I have noticed that the flange nuts on the horizontal dropouts might be eating away at the frame.

Can I use track-bike nuts instead? It is an irrational fear of mine that the rear wheels will slip out of the horizontal dropouts during a descent.

Furthermore, I am having trouble acquiring these. I can't seem to find any online. Do you think that a local bike store would have these? Please recommend where I can purchase them.

5 hours ago, Afrozoolander said:

I have a single-speed bicycle that I love very much. However, I have noticed that the flange nuts on the horizontal dropouts might be eating away at the frame.

Can I use track-bike nuts instead? It is an irrational fear of mine that the rear wheels will slip out of the horizontal dropouts during a descent.

Furthermore, I am having trouble acquiring these. I can't seem to find any online. Do you think that a local bike store would have these? Please recommend where I can purchase them.

Yo Yo Yo .... try a set of washers between the nut and drop out to protect the frame.

With a horizontal drop out, as long as your chain stays on and your axel is not on the end / tips of the drop out, then there is no way that the wheel will slide out off the back of the dropouts.