Farr Out Gravel Bike - Are they good ? (Brand = RideFarr)

MG22

I am considering a "Farr Out" Gravel Frame. I am hesitant because I do not know how good they are ? Do any of you have experience with this frame ?

FARR OUT Cromo Gravel Frame/Fork Combo

I just want to avoid repeating the mistake in the past where I bought a Momsen hardtail which turned out to wobble (flex) when I went over 30 km per hour). 

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Just check the fork, and chainstay caliper mounts, as they are post/flat mount, so you'll need a flat>post adapter

Other than that, the frame is solid and I have never experienced any flex or wobble

Edited by lechatnoir
edited to clear up caliper mount

11 minutes ago, MG22 said:

FARR OUT Cromo Gravel Frame/Fork Combo

I just want to avoid repeating the mistake in the past where I bought a Momsen hardtail which turned out to wobble (flex) when I went over 30 km per hour). 

Your feedback will be appreciated.

I ride a Momsen R355 gravel bike. It does flex ( not wobble ) but that is part of its design and hence what makes it so comfortable.

You want to ride a rigid I-Beam ?

Anyway Farr products have a good reputation.......

I have the carbon version and very happy with it!

As already mentioned, take note of the brake caliper mounts - one is flat mount and the other is post mount.

I had one and sold it because gravel bikes are overrated in Gauteng imho. (Is still find myself wanting one though ????)

On smooth gravel roads, it was absolutely amazing to ride. On anything else, not so much. My recommendation would be to really think about the roads you plan on riding it on, and rather buy a hardtail if a good chunck of those roads aren't smooth gravel (and I mean really smooth, no corrugations or rocks or bumps or ruts) . 
They're a touch on the heavy side too, but that's to be expected with a steel frame. And yes, the brakes are interesting. I short, do your homework and add the cost of the adapters to your sums before you buy. 

And if you find yourself wondering "can I fit a 2.1 tyre on it", you'd probably be better off with a "monster cross" bike (Hardtail with drop bars)

2 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

Just check the fork, and chainstay caliper mounts, as they are post/flat mount, so you'll need a flat>post adapter

Other than that, the frame is solid and I have never experienced any flex or wobble

I love mine. considering getting rid of the roadbike actually.

only issues i've had is

a)paint chipping away

b)working out the brake scenario, i mixed and matched to make it work.

Just bought a 52cm grey one for my wife. Looks fine. Protip, subscribe to the twt newsletter and make an account and you get 10% off. - got it closer to what i wanted to pay for it considering what they cost last year. Also…i wont make an issue out of it because they are sorting it out and overnighting them to me…but double and then triple check they ad the headset and thru axles in the box. Even after doing that, mine arrived without them haha. 

ps, there are only 2 left now. Both orange

Edited by MORNE

I have one with an Eagle groupset on, with flat bars currently. Love the frame, smashed a number of 100kms and a 165km on it a few months ago. I have an Enve fork on, so don't know much about the fork that comes with the frame, but the bike is here to stay ???? . Now just to find a set of Sram HRD brakes and I will be a happy man!

Thank you all for so much insight????Mountain Bru, you really make me think whether it would not be better to go for a monster cross. I have not ridden Gravel bikes before. I thought that they would handle rough Gravel (I. e not just smooth Gravel). This would open a whole new debate????

I guess it depends on how you want to ride it too, and how you set it up. Maybe my setup was a bit too aggressive, almost like a road bike setup, or maybe I just wanted to ride it a bit too hard when it's more of a cruiser, but it kind of never worked for me the way I hoped it would. On single track, the drop bars put my weight too far forward and it wasn't lekker for me. Like I always felt like my front wheel was too heavy. And my hands got super tired gripping the hoods on bumpy stuff. I think maybe flat bars are a win if you want to do anything remotely technical. And on bumpy or loose rocky stuff, the front wheel seemed to be pinging off rocks constantly. I also found I needed the tyres quite hard to not hit the rim on rocks (think I had WTB resolute 42s on) and that also made the ride super bumpy. 

But on a few gravel rides in KZN and in the Cape, it was absolute bliss to cruise along in the drops on the gravel bike.

As to the debate on what to buy, this is pretty close to it:

My 2c.... Look at the where you realistically want to ride the bike, and then pick whatever will make that the lekkerdest for you. Don't get caught up on the GCN hype train where they seem to have these amazingly smooth single tracks through the forest all over the show, and these pristine countryside gravel roads that are practically pavement, and then think a gravel bike will be amazing for you. That's clearly not the case here, especially not where I stay. Most gravel roads are corrugated or have huge potholes in them or haven't been maintained well, so having some suspension really makes long rides more enjoyable for me, even though the gravel bike was technically 100% capable to tackle those same roads.

Unpopular opinion perhaps but if you're wanting a bike to ride on single track, moderately technical or other tough terrain then a gravel bike isn't the bike you should be looking at ... it's not a mountain bike

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Unpopular opinion perhaps but if you're wanting a bike to ride on single track, moderately technical or other tough terrain then a gravel bike isn't the bike you should be looking at ... it's not a mountain bike

Agreed. I love my gravel bike but its a conditional love. 

As mentioned already, look at where you are planning on riding it.

That being said, if I didn't race on the road bike, I would sell my road bike and purchase an additional set of wheels for my gravel bike. I could then just have the one bike, swap out the wheels between gravel and road and I would be good to go.