New trek marlin 8 yay or nay?

Stavros94

Hi. I’m looking at getting into abit of MTB. Gone from road to gravel and keen for more off-road. 

noticed trek has launched a 2022 Marlin 8 looks like a pretty cool bike and well rounded in-terms of components for what I need(not being a super serious mtb rider ) yet .

They are priced at 18k all in.

is this a bike for a guy starting off in the MTB world ? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? If so ... what else do you guys and girls recommend? 

cheers looking forward to the feedback ! 

2E4ABD7B-5261-4CDB-839F-04B55EE793F7.jpeg

Just now, Super Sywurm said:

Go for it. I really like the colour scheme.

So do I .. but is it worth it ? Or am I better off buying 2nd hand maybe slightly older higher spec bike for around the same money? 

5 minutes ago, Styvie said:

So do I .. but is it worth it ? Or am I better off buying 2nd hand maybe slightly older higher spec bike for around the same money? 

I like Trek. Ride one myself, but man that just seems a lot of money for not a lot bike.

Yes, 12 speed, if that is what you want, but really entry level 12 speed. The rest also very entry level. Judy Silver, MT 200 brakes.

My first reaction is that you should be able to get so much more secondhand, but with prices where they are at the moment, maybe not.

Fully ! This I guess is my worry is that I’m getting some lame components and bike for some decent money (or though is 18k a lot in the bike world ) 

if I set my search on the hub to a max of 20k I can’t even find much 1x stuff I like the simplicity of 1x drivetrains. 

what else could I look for before making a decision? I’ll visit my local bike store and see what they have in stock 2nd hand. 

but like you guys say the market isn’t really doing it’s thing at the moment.

I like the Specialized Chisel, but there is no stock in the country and it is more expensive than the Trek almost double the price. If it was me I would buy the Trek for 18K and just upgrade the seat post to a dropper.

30K - https://www.specialized.com/za/en/chisel-comp/p/184105?color=291528-184105

21K - https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/x-caliber/x-caliber-8/p/33193/?colorCode=grey_black

18K -
 https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/marlin/marlin-8/p/34649/

Edited by _David_

Looked at all of those last night I guess the issue is the budget I have. I’m going to go and see one in real life maybe take it for a spin and see how it feels. Dropper is a must ! 

chisel is rad but out of budget for now unfortunately. 

and there isn’t a huge difference in spec between the x caliber and Marlin if I compare the two. 

2 hours ago, Styvie said:

If I should choose, I would rather go for a new bike, rather than a better speced used bike.

This is just me (and maybe a couple of other people).

2 hours ago, Styvie said:

Hi. I’m looking at getting into abit of MTB. Gone from road to gravel and keen for more off-road. 

noticed trek has launched a 2022 Marlin 8 looks like a pretty cool bike and well rounded in-terms of components for what I need(not being a super serious mtb rider ) yet .

They are priced at 18k all in.

is this a bike for a guy starting off in the MTB world ? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? If so ... what else do you guys and girls recommend? 

cheers looking forward to the feedback ! 

2E4ABD7B-5261-4CDB-839F-04B55EE793F7.jpeg

In my opinion, that will be my next bike. I'm about done with the Big Nine, this will be all the upgrade I want.

Is the Trek Roscoe available at all? Its a trail HT so would probably be more fun and secure to ride if you're a beginner rider. They come with dropper posts if I recall...

edit- i see they have the Roscoe 7 in XXL for R22k...

Edited by Headshot

Speak to Wayne at Rapide ... he may be able to build you a Tigre for a similar price.

Tigre will blow the Marlin out the water i.t.o capability with far more progressive geometry and durability with a 4130 CrMo frame.

His customer service is unmatched in SA

Frames – Rapide

Red-Tigre-With-130-Pike-2.jpg

Tigre-29-Pearl-White-.jpg

Edited by CraigT48
Add images

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the feedback

im pretty keen to go new for once I actually can’t recall when last I bought something bicycle related that was new. Always building bikes up with bits and pieces that others have had the chance to damage 1st ???? I think it’s my turn.

I know this marlin isn’t the highest spec bike but I think it will do what I need it to ! As I’m not use to riding super high spec bikes anyway. I will see if there is a dealer close by to me here in knysna and go see one in the flesh. And take it from there! 

And it seems upgradable so once bits wear out I’ll just replace with higher spec stuff 

3 minutes ago, CraigT48 said:

Speak to Wayne at Rapide ... he may be able to build you a Tigre for a similar price.

Tigre will blow the Marlin out the water i.t.o capability with far more progressive geometry and durability with a 4130 CrMo frame.

His customer service is unmatched in SA

And Craig throws a spanner in the works with this one ????????  how do I get hold of him ? Definitely an Avenue worth checking out before I pull the trigger thanks Craig