Gee Atherton's biggest crash ever

Robbie Stewart

I saw this on the 'tube.

It is a bit of a stupid one in my very humble opinion. I feel for the bloke but I fail to see what valid reason exists to ride such extreme terrain with such massive consequences. This could as easily have ended in permanent severe injury or worse. Surely there's a fine line between brave and just plain daft?

What say you?

I crashed a couple years back and had some lingering injuries and recovery. I took a good year to get back to full speed again. These pro's nearly kill themselves and weeks later they're back at it again.

They are definitely built different, that's for sure. Also, it helps when Red Bull pays for the medical assistance and physio.

1 minute ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I crashed a couple years back and had some lingering injuries and recovery. I took a good year to get back to full speed again. These pro's nearly kill themselves and weeks later they're back at it again.

They are definitely built different, that's for sure. Also, it helps when Red Bull pays for the medical assistance and physio.

Like Pidcock's recovery from his crash. Quite inspirational when you see what is possible with access to the best healthcare and extreme mental toughness

Nuts + crazy + stupid I'd say Theo. I've had two ribs fractured (rugby), L1 and L2 compression fracture (rugby), and a comminuted ankle fracture, but none were as a result of taking such an outrageous risk.

Worthwhile risk? I just don't see it. The extended pain, the long schlep to recover, scheduling med appointments every/every other day, the potential long-term consequences of orthotic insertions (speak to Gee in a decade's time). Nuts + crazy + stupid.

Edited by justinafrika

So Red Bull Rampage, Ride the ridge (and other Danny Mac movies), A host of Chris Akrigg films etc are celebrated, but are just as dangerous in places but Gee gets slammed for being an idiot because he fell?

These guys are forced to ride more and more gnarly things in order to stay relevant otherwise the same crowd who slam him for riding dumb terrain slam him for just riding and filming the same boring trails as everyone else and call for his retirement etc etc

In a world where everyone can publicly voice their opinion, nothing is good enough anymore.

Gee knew the risks. Just like all the big gravity riders

He loves it and wants to push it! Knows the risks and is calculated. That's why he's a pro!

Good on him! 

If not for those guys taking risks the sport wouldn't have grown to what it is. Also, not the craziest line he's ridden.

54 minutes ago, King_Crispy said:

What an idiot.

Who cares if he has good doctors etc now? When he's older these injuries are going to cause him big pain

I played rugby and cycle .A life without scars is a wasted one .Who wants to die with a healthy body 

12 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I saw this on the 'tube.

It is a bit of a stupid one in my very humble opinion. I feel for the bloke but I fail to see what valid reason exists to ride such extreme terrain with such massive consequences. This could as easily have ended in permanent severe injury or worse. Surely there's a fine line between brave and just plain daft?

What say you?

Pretty simple really...because you want to ride it and try.

The world, thankfully, is full of people like Gee who show us what's possible beyond the realms of your average dirt roadie.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

So Red Bull Rampage, Ride the ridge (and other Danny Mac movies), A host of Chris Akrigg films etc are celebrated, but are just as dangerous in places but Gee gets slammed for being an idiot because he fell?

Danny Mac (and the others) spend probably 85% of their time falling till they get it right for camera. Thats just what they do for a living.

42 minutes ago, eala said:

I played rugby and cycle .A life without scars is a wasted one .Who wants to die with a healthy body 

All depends on what you plan on doing with your grand children for fun...

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

These guys are forced to ride more and more gnarly things in order to stay relevant otherwise the same crowd who slam him for riding dumb terrain slam him for just riding and filming the same boring trails as everyone else and call for his retirement etc etc

In a world where everyone can publicly voice their opinion, nothing is good enough anymore.

Gee knew the risks. Just like all the big gravity riders

100%

I'm not into these extreme edits. The athletes continuously have to out do their previous acts or the peers, all this to create social media content for likes/follows etc.

Viewers/fans get desensitized eventually, also demanding more, and if it's not gnarlier than the previous video, they lose interest. Yet, the same people can't even bunny hop a side walk. 
It reminds me of when Tony Hawk PS game came out, and these nobodies would expect you to also do a double backflip out of a crooked nose grind landing with a double kick flip.