Dropper seat post Review

Lehane

18 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

A dropper is indispensable for me. I would never own a mountainbike without one. To me it's a massive safety feature. And it makes it much easier to get on the bike after I have stopped...

Yip, and the amount of travel a frame can accommodate. Short seat tubes ftw. And any bike with a kink in the seat tube or a rocker link pivot in the way that limits the insertion depth has also become a deal breaker for me. 

My next bike must at least be able to fit a 160-170 mm dropper for my short legs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yowzer. First post and it gets whacked into oblivion. The sacrilege. It will forever bother me what it could have been about...

Quick question.

I have a X-Fusion Manic dropper. Once I lower the dropper I cannot just use the lever to raise it again, I need to sit on it before it moves up. Is this how it's supposed to work? 

3 minutes ago, Showtime said:

Quick question.

I have a X-Fusion Manic dropper. Once I lower the dropper I cannot just use the lever to raise it again, I need to sit on it before it moves up. Is this how it's supposed to work? 

No pressure in whatever way it uses it has dropped enough to where it can't overcome that initial sticktion to start moving 

9 minutes ago, Showtime said:

Quick question.

My old bike also did that, loosened up the seat clamp a little and it stopped doing that, new bike, same thing, with a BikeYoke dropper, but that was a combo of not enough air pressure and the seat clamp being slightly to tight, even though it was torqued to 5nm, now I just go to 4nm

3 hours ago, Titleist said:

Dropper posts only became more accessible and affordable since about 2017-2018. Before that some bike shops didn't even know what it was or they told you it's too expensive to stock it. 

Hmmmm. I will admit that it became popular and mainstream in the last 5 years. 

But I bought a reverb for my wife 7years ago, from cwc, and it cost about 3k then. And there were cheaper options available then. 

17 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

No. Pressure, in whatever way it uses it, has dropped enough to where it can't overcome that initial sticktion to start moving 

the power of grammarly

31 minutes ago, Showtime said:

Quick question.

When last did you service the post? Could be as simple as needing a clean and some fresh grease or as drastic as needing a new cartridge. Robbies Bicycle Concept can help with both

42 minutes ago, thebob said:

When last did you service the post? Could be as simple as needing a clean and some fresh grease or as drastic as needing a new cartridge. Robbies Bicycle Concept can help with both

Thanks. It was like that from day one so I will have a look at it. 

1 hour ago, Showtime said:

Quick question.

Sounds like it needs a service. Remove the collar from the fixed part of the post and apply fresh grease in there. 

Does it allow you to add air? 

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Yowzer. First post and it gets whacked into oblivion. The sacrilege. It will forever bother me what it could have been about...

I posted from my business account by accident, and then didn't feel like typing it all over again... 

2 hours ago, Showtime said:

Thanks. It was like that from day one so I will have a look at it. 

I had a Manic post. It was sensitive to too much force at the seatpost clamp, If I remember correctly the happy medium was 4 nm but with a generous helping of friction paste. 

phone the people at RBC in PE, they will be able to tell you what is wrong and need to ge done. 

Edited by PhilipV

Now that we have reached a consensus that droppers are great, how about we share the best/worst droppers we have used to help guide those who may still need to join the club?

19 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Now that we have reached a consensus that droppers are great, how about we share the best/worst droppers we have used to help guide those who may still need to join the club?

Lyne components the dropper post to buy

Affordable 

Well priced

Awesome after service sales

R350 for full service kit

I’ve looked around for a dropper post that has a 20mm setback. The only one I could find is KS Lev. My bike cannot take a seatpost longer than 380mm considering my height - only use 220mm of seatpost (on the outside of the frame) - rest needs to be inside ????

who is the resellers/distributor of KS Lev in SA?

or what alternatives is there with setback?

mountai  bikers have become a strange crowd.

Recommendation: buy a bike with a steep seat tube to get your weight more centred.

Result: Buys steet seat tube bike but looks for layback seat post

Recommendation: Buy a long travel travel trail bike.

Result : Buys the longest travel trail bike then spends the budget of a small African Country trying to make it light while only ever using half the travel