Dropper seat post Review

Lehane

1 hour ago, ACM said:

I’ve looked around for a dropper post that has a 20mm setback. The only one I could find is KS Lev. My bike cannot take a seatpost longer than 380mm considering my height - only use 220mm of seatpost (on the outside of the frame) - rest needs to be inside ????

who is the resellers/distributor of KS Lev in SA?

or what alternatives is there with setback?

Could it be that you on the incorrect size frame?

Not ideal but maybe get longer stem

What bike you riding xc or trail?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Trashy said:

Now that we have reached a consensus that droppers are great, how about we share the best/worst droppers we have used to help guide those who may still need to join the club?

The best post is by far the Bikeyoke Revive. Super smooth, minimal force to activate and completely rebuildable with basic tools. But the best thing is the reset feature, so if the air and oil mix and the post gets saggy, it’s a 2 minute job to get it working like new.

Fox Transfer is was really good, but was sensitive to the seat clamp orientation and tightness. It also had to go to agents for service.

X-Fusion Manic also damn good, especially for the price. Servicing was easy, but it needed it fairly often, especially if you did a wet or muddy ride.

Rockshox Reverb also nice and smooth and the 1x remote is absolute class. Hydraulics need to be serviced every now and again and a full service also means it has to go back to the agents.

Giant Contact was cheap and worked. But got rough fairly quickly and developed a fair bit of play quite quickly.

Edited by thebob

2 hours ago, MajG said:

Could it be that you on the incorrect size frame?

Not ideal but maybe get longer stem

What bike you riding xc or trail?

Did a professional bike fitting and small is the correct frame size for my 1.66m

ride a Momsen Vipa (XC), but enjoy technical riding.

10 hours ago, thebob said:

The best post is by far the Bikeyoke Revive. Super smooth, minimal force to activate and completely rebuildable with basic tools. But the best thing is the reset feature, so if the air and oil mix and the post gets saggy, it’s a 2 minute job to get it working like new.

Fox Transfer is was really good, but was sensitive to the seat clamp orientation and tightness. It also had to go to agents for service.

X-Fusion Manic also damn good, especially for the price. Servicing was easy, but it needed it fairly often, especially if you did a wet or muddy ride.

Rockshox Reverb also nice and smooth and the 1x remote is absolute class. Hydraulics need to be serviced every now and again and a full service also means it has to go back to the agents.

Giant Contact was cheap and worked. But got rough fairly quickly and developed a fair bit of play quite quickly.

Spez Command post was ok, tends to become sticky once in a while. Also liked the 3 position stops.

Oneup - Didn't live up to the hype. 

I also don't understand why these things need to be so complicated. Hopefully we'll see more of the new Fox transfer sl post that only has 2 stop and a spring. No one really needs infinite stops, and complicated air springs that needs maintenance. 

1 hour ago, stefmeister said:

What didn't you like? 

I'm ok with mine. Needed a new cartridge after 6 months and the play in the shaft is getting a bit much for my liking. 

I had a Morewood Mamba Dropper, very finiky, and sticky, I asked for a service kit via morewood facebook, got a reply only after a month but then I moved on from it.

2 hours ago, stefmeister said:

Spez Command post was ok, tends to become sticky once in a while. Also liked the 3 position stops.

I also don't understand why these things need to be so complicated. Hopefully we'll see more of the new Fox transfer sl post that only has 2 stop and a spring. No one really needs infinite stops, and complicated air springs that needs maintenance. 

I agree on the infinite stops thing. Down or up.... There is no need for in between really. You can FIND a reason for in between, but really, if you are honest with yourself, there is no need.

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

What didn't you like? 

I'm ok with mine. Needed a new cartridge after 6 months and the play in the shaft is getting a bit much for my liking. 

Pretty much the same.

This has become an incredibly useful thread.

I've been considering a OneUp because I'm short and have a tall seat tube but thanks to the advice given, I will look elsewhere.

Some great insight into the other options mentioned as well.

51 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I agree on the infinite stops thing. Down or up.... There is no need for in between really. You can FIND a reason for in between, but really, if you are honest with yourself, there is no need.

Most of the time I am in between (at least 80% of the time)

All the way up is for really steep uphill and all the way down is for serious downhill.

I also find that changing height on long flats help ease the muscles. (Just 1/2cm or so up or down)

3 hours ago, stefmeister said:

Of all the posts I've used the OneUp has been by far the best for me. Nearly zero play after 9 months of use and still very smooth. I got it for the low stack height.

Lyne is extremely good, just have to replace the brass keys often to avoid play. Value for money excellent. 

Spez, very long posts for the travel. Smashes your balls if you're not careful. Gets sticky. Not a fan.

Giant, stanchions worn very quickly, kept not holding air, spongy, horrible.

Reverb, spongy, expensive to service.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:02 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

"Now I ride mostly just descents. The techier, the better. Sure, one does not need a dropper post for marathon riding, but as soon as the front wheel is lower than the rear wheel, a dropper becomes your best friend."

I just started doing this type of riding from the get go
Why do the race if you can go straight to the finish line
I actually have the BONTRAGER LINE ELITE DROPPER and it has been great, long enough for my XL Fuel EX
Two years and zero issues
Had a Pro and one of the local brands before, both gave issues and were too short for me.
Also use to have a manual dropper but at least with a quick release clamp which broke after a while of intense dropping ????

53 minutes ago, porqui said:

Most of the time I am in between (at least 80% of the time)

All the way up is for really steep uphill and all the way down is for serious downhill.

I also find that changing height on long flats help ease the muscles. (Just 1/2cm or so up or down)

Sjoe.... I like my bike fit too much!

I am all the way up and all the way down 100% of the time.

Long flats on the MTB? I'm doing it wrong...... Like my dropper post it's mostly Up or down for me! hahaha

Mine is only in between because its probably longer travel than I need. There's no time to compress it 125mm in an XCO. Just needs to fall maybe 80mm to be out of the way. For a trailbike and rides it is super cool to drop the post while having a chin wag then pop it up when you get going. Lady trail runners dig it

26 minutes ago, Wheelie87 said:

When I started riding it was mostly solo, and the odd occasion I had company it was with folks who would balk at a berm. Hence I would ride techy stuff but had no one to push me towards progression. This all changed towards the end of last year when I found myself a lekker group of likeminded riders who also prefer the fun side of mountain biking rather than the torture side. The skill set of the group as a whole has made massive leaps in terms of progression over the course of this year, and I have upskilled more in the last 9 months than the preceding 9 years.