Handlebar breakthrough for gravel riders

Zebra

2 minutes ago, Zebra said:

not gonna argues on the LOOKS department, but functionally, it is a start...

Look, functionality has it's place, but even in the hipster doofus woorld of gravel biking, the golden rule is always style first.

Saw this the other day. Not sure if I'm sold on it though. 

On a normal drop bar with roadie levers, you can pull the brakes and shift from the hoods and the drops. From the looks of things you can only brake from the "ends" of these bars, which might make the other hand positions less useful, in which case you'd be better off with a shallow drop gravel bar and roadie type levers.  

As a gravel bike doofus, I like this and I even think it looks nice but style is subjective 

the whole point is to enable those with hard tails to do a quick bar change for touring which would make your ride more comfortable 

for relatively little money and little hassle you get more options with one bike

pretty inventive 

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol
Spelling

I Just built a gravel bike. Used normal "narrow-ish" road bars. 

It has been 7 years since I was last on a road bike, and this felt twitchy as F****, to the point it felt dangerous to me. Cant Imagine I used to race on these handlebars.

Will now look for wider bars, and then decide if this is going back to mtb bars

PHOTO-2021-07-10-15-15-21.jpg

PHOTO-2021-07-10-15-15-26.jpg

1 hour ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

As a gravel bike doofus, I like this and I even think it looks nice but style is subjective 

the whole point is to enable those with hard tails to do a quick bar change for touring which would make your ride more comfortable 

for relatively little money and little hassle you get more options with one bike

pretty inventive 

Big Question is whether we will see it here

13 minutes ago, RABUBI said:

Big Question is whether we will see it here

Sprocket & Jack in jhb is the local distributor. They got me some of my Surly stuff. They are just a bit difficult to get hold of sometimes…not the best on emails too. But friendly nontheless. 

But shouldnt limit you in anycase. I buy what i want from where i want. Geoblocking or distribution rights are not a big hurdles to overcome…more like minor speedbumps lol

18 hours ago, Zebra said:

Surly Corner Bar 1.jpeg

https://www.news24.com/ride24/gear/handlebar-breakthrough-for-gravel-riders-20210720

interesting article, and for example, it would allow ME (anyway!) to reuse MTB controls on a gravel/dropped bar...

Chris

Its actually not that different from a jones loop bar. The whole idea behind that bar is that the nicest hand position somewhere in between your wrists facing forward (like on the hoods of a road bike) and facing sideways (like on an mtb). Hence the 45 degree angle on those (Jones) bars. That and it's nice to have multiple hand positions. So I think these do a similar sort of thing and look a bit nicer IMO. Personally I'm pretty glad companies keep pushing the boundaries with stuff like this. Evolution to a higher state requires mutation (new ideas) and selection (people like us deciding if we like it). I'd give this a try for sure. 

30 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Sprocket & Jack in jhb is the local distributor. They got me some of my Surly stuff. They are just a bit difficult to get hold of sometimes…not the best on emails too. But friendly nontheless. 

But shouldnt limit you in anycase. I buy what i want from where i want. Geoblocking or distribution rights are not a big hurdles to overcome…more like minor speedbumps lol

I've just checked and sprocket and jack are no longer listed on Surly's website as official distributors, although they were when I checked last year. 

ie: they used to be listed under the distributors tab over here:

https://surlybikes.com/where_to_buy

So they may no longer be bringing stuff in, but no harm in asking I guess. 

2 minutes ago, NickGM said:

I've just checked and sprocket and jack are no longer listed on Surly's website as official distributors, although they were when I checked last year. 

ie: they used to be listed under the distributors tab over here:

https://surlybikes.com/where_to_buy

So they may no longer be bringing stuff in, but no harm in asking I guess. 

Aren't the official surly distributers now everydaybicyclesupply co? NO, that is SOMA

https://everydaycyclesupplyco.com/

Edited by Jewbacca

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Aren't the official surly distributers now everydaybicyclesupply co? NO, that is SOMA

https://everydaycyclesupplyco.com/

Yea David is part of the Wolfpack..like @NickGM i’m getting in soon haha…although this will be my second Soma.

aparently you must ride a soma WOLVERINE to be part of the wolfpack????

Really excited. My old steel roadie really got me into the idea of something in between on and offroad.
And the friction shifting on that made me remember how enjoyable it was to be that involved while riding. But the sliding dropouts on the new frame means I can wing it in proper SS mode now too. 
And with my wife not really being into crazy singletrack stuff…her mtb was basically a glorified gravel bike anyway. So i sold that too and I built her a FARR gravel bike this week. 

Now that my Valhallen has a new home in Nelspruit…I im a bit impatient now haha…especially since my wife now has  bike and i technically don’t????.

Edited by MORNE

3 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Yea David is part of the Wolfpack..like @NickGM i’m getting in soon haha…although this will be my second Soma.

aparently you must ride a soma WOLVERINE to be part of the wolfpack????

Really excited. My old steel roadie really got me into the idea of something in between on and offroad.
And the friction shifting on that made me remember how enjoyable it was to be that involved while riding. 
And with my wife not really being into crazy singletrack stuff…her mtb was basically a glorified gravel bike anyway. So i sold that too and I built her a FARR gravel bike this week. 

Now that my Valhallen has a new home in Nelspruit…I im a bit impatient now haha…especially since my wife now has  bike and i technically don’t????.

I really want to buy this;

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/kids-bikes/487035/momsen-jsl-20-full-carbon-hardtail-mtb

Slap some BMX bars on it and a longer seatpost and I will have the coolest most versatile BMX ever!

It's a bit out of my 'bike fund' allowance currently, which sucks. That thing would rock. Gravel, MTB, road..... 1 bike to rule them all!

Bar ends reversed on a an early nineties style mtb……you gravel guys are sure pushing the envelope