Can these wheels be made tubeless?

Stavros94

Got these wheels in a bundle deal of parts a while ago they have giant hubs so I’m assuming they are giant rims also but zero branding they look very stock though can they be made tubeless? 

took some pics there is a little lip on the inside section but is that what I need ? 

thanks in advance for the advice ! 

92BCB01D-6215-472B-A285-83C1AB9A88B7.jpeg

4DC01299-2DBB-4574-AB5F-71B825C85C31.jpeg

917FCA12-7BD1-4B4B-B6BF-7A35D3A0EC94.jpeg

CB33C490-DE48-4223-B0F7-1796C8695539.jpeg

2188D585-2506-4764-A1FD-39D2BE9BA52D.jpeg

if you're planning to use gravel tyres then yes its possible with a tubeless conversion kit

If you're planning on using road tyres I'd post more details about the rims

I have some tubeless tyres in a box of bike bits here that I’ll try with. Alrighty thanks gents, I’ll go grab a kit Tomorrow  and see what I come up with will report back. Will be in my gravel bike not road 

IF you are going to run gravel tires at 3 bar, a good tip is to tape the rim with Gorilla tape, then tape up over the gorilla tape with good quality electric tape. The high pressure often causes the gorilla tape to lift and shift then blow sealant through the nipple holes

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

IF you are going to run gravel tires at 3 bar, a good tip is to tape the rim with Gorilla tape, then tape up over the gorilla tape with good quality electric tape. The high pressure often causes the gorilla tape to lift and shift then blow sealant through the nipple holes

thats because it wasn't seated properly.

A bit tip is to first fit a tube and then the tyre and inflate the tyre to the recommended pressure range. The tube will press the gorilla tape to the rim bed and cure the glue before sealant gets to it. Leave for 24hr and then remove the tube and convert to tubeless. You now also have one bead properly seated.

Thanks for the tips ! And reassurance that it’s possible! 

I didn’t bother going to get stuff to do it today weather is far to crappy and probably won’t ride till the weekend again. 

now my next question are the conversion kits worth anything ? I see ryder (or whatever it’s called ) stans also about twice the price ... is it twice the quality or am I paying for the name.

or do I go buy x2 valves, 1 bottle of sealant and some gorilla tape at the hardware.

going on a work trip tomorrow heading home on Saturday morning so I’ll probably stop off somewhere then and grab it.

????

gorillla tape +2 valves + bottle of sealant (I recommend at least 250ml bottle but 500ml is safer in case of any fudge ups) = <ZAR4Stans kit

9 hours ago, Styvie said:

Thanks for the tips ! And reassurance that it’s possible! 

I didn’t bother going to get stuff to do it today weather is far to crappy and probably won’t ride till the weekend again. 

now my next question are the conversion kits worth anything ? I see ryder (or whatever it’s called ) stans also about twice the price ... is it twice the quality or am I paying for the name.

or do I go buy x2 valves, 1 bottle of sealant and some gorilla tape at the hardware.

going on a work trip tomorrow heading home on Saturday morning so I’ll probably stop off somewhere then and grab it.

????

I haven't used a conversion kit in 11 years. I've used all kinds of tape, but now I only use Gorilla Tape. 

Another tip, buy the wide roll, and then cut the strip to suit your rim width. You only have to cut the first few cms, after that it tears of straight, the tape on top will keep your line and it will end up looking something like this. 

DAFC9A6E-D990-464C-BF2C-71439EC26E70.jpeg

Any rim can be made tubeless. 

But tubeless is not for any/all tyres or any/all disciplines ????