Can these wheels be made tubeless?

Stavros94

4 hours ago, Quagga said:

Any rim can be made tubeless. 

But tubeless is not for any/all tyres or any/all disciplines ????

yes any rim can be made to run tubeless but not all can converted and used safely. Road rims where higher pressures are needed is the main area of concern 

5 hours ago, PhilipV said:

I haven't used a conversion kit in 11 years. I've used all kinds of tape, but now I only use Gorilla Tape. 

Another tip, buy the wide roll, and then cut the strip to suit your rim width. You only have to cut the first few cms, after that it tears of straight, the tape on top will keep your line and it will end up looking something like this. 

DAFC9A6E-D990-464C-BF2C-71439EC26E70.jpegicke

Agreed - exactly what I've been doing on last few bikes.  No need to buy "special rim tape"!  Combined with DieselnDust's tube pre-load tip above, winna wena chicken dinna!

5 hours ago, PhilipV said:

I haven't used a conversion kit in 11 years. I've used all kinds of tape, but now I only use Gorilla Tape. 

Another tip, buy the wide roll, and then cut the strip to suit your rim width. You only have to cut the first few cms, after that it tears of straight, the tape on top will keep your line and it will end up looking something like this. 

DAFC9A6E-D990-464C-BF2C-71439EC26E70.jpeg

Its funny you like that stuff, I have never had luck with it and I think it leaves a residue? I like the Stans and generic versions of that plastic tape. Bomb proof and easy to remove if it needs to be replaced.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

yes any rim can be made to run tubeless but not all can converted and used safely. Road rims where higher pressures are needed is the main area of concern 

That is what I said

"But tubeless is not for any/all tyres or any/all disciplines"

You can convert any rim BUT is it safe / and will it work etc etc is different story

Not all 

18 minutes ago, Quagga said:

That is what I said

"But tubeless is not for any/all tyres or any/all disciplines"

You can convert any rim BUT is it safe / and will it work etc etc is different story

Not all 

Just wanted to qualify the comments because I had 2 WA this morning asking me to convert road wheels to tubeless with 23C tyres. Even with 25 C tyres older alloy rims won't work even mavic ksyrium with a continuous spoke bed

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Just wanted to qualify the comments because I had 2 WA this morning asking me to convert road wheels to tubeless with 23C tyres. Even with 25 C tyres older alloy rims won't work even mavic ksyrium with a continuous spoke bed

why will it not work?

I have converted road rims before, but I did not run them at 8bar as the sealand wont seal anything anyway

Ghetto tubeless conversion will make any wheel a tubeless wheel. It works well too, (to ad) even with wire bead tyres.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

2 minutes ago, Quagga said:

why will it not work?

I have converted road rims before, but I did not run them at 8bar as the sealand wont seal anything anyway

The tyres don't seat reliably. I had the rear roll off when running the pressure suitably low. High pressure detentions the spokes over time. The tyre rolling issue is why I'll never buy hookless Road rims... Never

17 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The tyres don't seat reliably. I had the rear roll off when running the pressure suitably low. High pressure detentions the spokes over time. The tyre rolling issue is why I'll never buy hookless Road rims... Never

we are on the same page

any RIM can go tubeless, but what you use it for and what tyre you put on it is the issue

high pressure and tubeless is not going to be a good combo

9 hours ago, Headshot said:

Its funny you like that stuff, I have never had luck with it and I think it leaves a residue? I like the Stans and generic versions of that plastic tape. Bomb proof and easy to remove if it needs to be replaced.

I've never had to replace Gorilla tape. So i can't comment on residue.  

When a spike needed replacement I just cut that hole, and put new tape over a 3hole segment. 

I am however very careful when applying tape to ensure it is straight, and in doing so I immediately press down on it after applying. That might help?

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if your tape is yellow or black or see through, if it seals and stays sealed, then you are winning. 

Right so some feed back. 

Headed home today from a work trip stopped at a small bike shop and got a kit. For the price I figured it worth a shot. Valves sealant and tape.

came home followed some of the tips mentioned also cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol before applying tape etc .

bobs your uncle they hold air ! My 1st tubeless conversion done and I didn’t even have to swear during the process! 

I appreciate all the advice and talk around this topic going to let them sit over night rotate them every so often and ride them in a day or so. 

thanks all 

13 hours ago, Styvie said:

Right so some feed back. 

Headed home today from a work trip stopped at a small bike shop and got a kit. For the price I figured it worth a shot. Valves sealant and tape.

came home followed some of the tips mentioned also cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol before applying tape etc .

bobs your uncle they hold air ! My 1st tubeless conversion done and I didn’t even have to swear during the process! 

I appreciate all the advice and talk around this topic going to let them sit over night rotate them every so often and ride them in a day or so. 

thanks all 

Congrats Styvie! 

I remember my first time. Literally woke up during the night to go and spin the wheel - checking the pressure a few times to much. ????????

On 7/23/2021 at 7:11 AM, Quagga said:

Any rim can be made tubeless. 

But tubeless is not for any/all tyres or any/all disciplines ????

If you only Ride Less Than Once a Month Stay With Tubes.