Updated Road TT frame as a Track bike

Quite a few years ago I picked up an alu Pro-Lite Espresso TT frame and CR1 carbon fork cheap and decided to set it up as a track bike I could (and did) use for a fun session now and then at Hector Norris.

Started as usual as a collection of bits and just assembled, it was prior to my painting and customising drive ????

IMG-20210722-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20210722-WA0000.jpg

So on to the 'updated' part ... obviously time for a paint and decal update but also the new colour will show the existing cable stops and those slots for the internal cables 'glaringly' so to speak. The painter will remove the unnecessary bits and close up the holes, including those for the brake calipers on the frame and fork. 

Since some may remember I had these Gippieme wheels hanging about that I did not want to part with ... turns out the freewheel was trashed and finding another ????

Found a track hub, built it into there, again one of my 'Frankenstein' wheel builds ???? ... had to make some changes to the axle and add spacers as its width was for a track frame but obviously this frame has standard road width.

IMG_20210722_081301_123.jpg

20210721_115225~4.jpg

Just a teaser of the decals since I'm NOT patiently, waiting to get the frame back ????

Hopefully get it back by the end of the week ... updates to follow

IMG_20210722_081301_342.jpg

9 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Bit of tightening up and testing and then ready for a trip to the track next week!

20210727_203010.jpg

20210727_213807~2.jpg

Will we be seeing you at HNP?

5 minutes ago, Rolling Stone said:

Will we be seeing you at HNP?

Just an occasional spin on a weekday for fun ????

8 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Just an occasional spin on a weekday for fun ????

New riders always welcome at HNP.

Remember to book, although I spotted a booking from someone New. Must be you.

Have fun.

Jeremy is doing a track intro session on Saturday morning.

That opens all kinds of doors to join coached sessions and race.

43 minutes ago, Rolling Stone said:

New riders always welcome at HNP.

Remember to book, although I spotted a booking from someone New. Must be you.

Have fun.

Jeremy is doing a track intro session on Saturday morning.

That opens all kinds of doors to join coached sessions and race.

It wasn't me but I notice one must be a CSA member to book and use it so there goes that ????

I have no intention to race, just want to go during the week and have fun. Is it really that busy say Thursdays around lunchtime? 

17 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I notice one must be a CSA member to book and use it so there goes that ????

That seems like an arbitrary and pointlessly excessive barrier to entry for the sport.

Did you have to resort to using a half-link or were you lucky with the chain tension considering the vertical dropout?
How did you go about closing up the cable routing holes?
Clean build!

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2021 at 8:56 AM, hxnk said:

Did you have to resort to using a half-link or were you lucky with the chain tension considering the vertical dropout?
How did you go about closing up the cable routing holes?
Clean build!

Sorry man missed this completely, I used a half link chain initially with the 48x15 and the tension was perfect. Coincidentally I'm now at a point that I want to experiment with different ratios and it's a bit of a pain in the butt but more about that in a bit ???? - 120 cadence feels like my hips are going to unscrew!

My painter mate just 'filled' all the holes with body filler as far as I know ... cut off anything that wasn't needed like the end of the hanger and 1 or 2 cable stops that there were.

Luckily I know 1 or 2 track guys so got a few different blades and cogs to play with in the last few days ... ended up with a 51x15 using a SS chain I had lying around, even the half link didn't work. I'll test that at the track tonight ????

Of course during all of this my mate Grumpy at my LBS just 'happened' to have a Trek Madone frame lying around with serious front derailleur mount issues ... well that just turned into another bike build just so that I can now have different gearing to play with as well, running a 53x15 on there with the half link that I now had spare. N+1 and all that you know ????

Might also give that a lap or 2 tonight ???? - will be interesting to see how this feels i.e road frame vs TT frame geometry ????

Sadly my painter is away on holiday till next of next week so it can only go to him then ???? 

20210908_124711.jpg

20210907_141135~2.jpg

20210908_183733~2.jpg