TMNP Activity Card system - there has to be a better way

Stephan

I ride up through Silvermine gate pretty often, and occasionally to the point, and I only ever show them a picture of mine and they are happy with that... often I am in glasses and buff up and they have never questioned it. So that is also an option if you don't want to carry the card imo

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I ride up through Silvermine gate pretty often, and occasionally to the point, and I only ever show them a picture of mine and they are happy with that... often I am in glasses and buff up and they have never questioned it. So that is also an option if you don't want to carry the card imo

ditto, I always have a photo of the card with my pic , the card number and the expiry date clearly visible

On 7/23/2021 at 2:45 PM, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Even just being able to purchase the yearly or daily permit on-line and then have a "digital" QR code or the like that you can produce if the arm breaking police come around 

Just take a pic of it and keep it on your phone. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Fastbastard Mayhem said:

Just take a pic of it and keep it on your phone. 

My point being more around the ability to purchase the permit digitally and not have to try and find a location to purchase the permit. Even at the trail head, offer a snapscan point of sale so that someone can ride the mountain "legally" early in the morning before the sales office opens.

50 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

My point being more around the ability to purchase the permit digitally and not have to try and find a location to purchase the permit. Even at the trail head, offer a snapscan point of sale so that someone can ride the mountain "legally" early in the morning before the sales office opens.

That would be nice yes but I suspect they're not going to be investing in any infrastructure since they need the money to pay convoluted supply chain chains for toilet paper and bic pens

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2021 at 8:57 PM, DieselnDust said:

That would be nice yes but I suspect they're not going to be investing in any infrastructure since they need the money to pay convoluted supply chain chains for toilet paper and bic pens

Speaking of investing in infrastructure, their card machines are 'card only' which means that you cannot 'Tap to Pay'. It felt like I had stepped back in time in that little cottage.

It really is a minor gripe, but I don't carry cards with me any more so I have to go back another time.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:45 PM, Hairy said:

Even just being able to purchase the yearly or daily permit on-line and then have a "digital" QR code or the like that you can produce if the arm breaking police come around 

Just take a photo on your phone and favorite it. I haven't shown anyone my physical card in a long time...

19 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Just take a photo on your phone and favorite it. I haven't shown anyone my physical card in a long time...

I second this. I use a photo, and have had no issues. Quite a few guys I ride with just photoshop the date when it expires. They don't care.

If this money was going towards the trails, I would tell them off, but instead, the money they would have spent on the card now can be used for a tokai MTB board. 

On 7/24/2021 at 8:57 PM, DieselnDust said:

Yip, my mates that work there take their own bogroll to work.

38 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I am not sure what 2021 Hairy would say, but 2023 Hairy notes that you missed the one critical aspect of my post. Being able to purchase this on line vs going to a physical branch during working hours.

36 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Two years later this is still the case

Can you prove this? Not doubting you, just keen to know your source(s)?

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Zebra

I am a ‘payer’. Regularly. Not sanctimonious, but feel it is the right thing to do.

guys photoshopping dates? Then likely bitching about corrupt govt officials!

Much ‘ink’ spilt on these pages of how hard it is; how their systems are outdated, how this or that rider would do it differently…

I have a contrarian view; toughen the f@ck up, spend 20 minutes ONCE per year to get the permit, pay R1.04 per day (R380 per annum), ride some truly amazing trails, and SIMULTANEOUSLY write/lobby the authorities - well- TRY and lobby - for some of our fees to be re-invested in developing/maintains our trails…

There may be well a few on here who will ‘drop’ R5k -without hesitation - on incremental gains by buying an accessory, or replacing a part, but boy, do they WHINE about the fee…

Pay the once-off annual fee / ride the trails for 12 months / enjoy / the end.

Chris

44 minutes ago, Zebra said:

I am a ‘payer’. Regularly. Not sanctimonious, but feel it is the right thing to do.

Much ‘ink’ spilt on these pages of how hard it is; how their systems are outdated, how this or that rider would do it differently…

I have a contrarian view; toughen the f@ck up, spend 20 minutes ONCE per year to get the permit, pay R1.04 per day (R380 per annum), ride some truly amazing trails, and SIMULTANEOUSLY write/lobby the authorities - well- TRY and lobby - for some of our fees to be re-invested in developing/maintains our trails…

There may be well a few on here who will ‘drop’ R5k -without hesitation - on incremental gains by buying an accessory, or replacing a part, but boy, do they WHINE about the fee…

Chris

I forget the number of years it has been since I have been on Table Mountain with my bike

45 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Chris

I think the initial gripes here is that it was always free to ride the mountain, then it became a "wonder" and SANPARKS got involved, started asking for money to ride the mountain and then gave nothing back for the money.

But that is going back into my deep dark memory banks.