Bike for a complete beginner

Hi everyone 

Im in the market to buy a bike for health and recreational reasons . I've done some research and I'm more confused than ever . Theres just too many technical terms being thrown around! What would be a good entry level bike. What brakes , suspension should I go for . Which brand , size etc . I've seen silverback being touted as tbe go to bike for beginners . Also where in cape town would be a good place to go. I have a budget of about 8k. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Good place to start, read that thread and ther are many topics like this that can answer your questions.

If you know what size frame you need, then search away in the classified here on the hub and search as per your budget.

44 minutes ago, shafeekn@gmail.com said:

Hi everyone 

Im in the market to buy a bike for health and recreational reasons . I've done some research and I'm more confused than ever . Theres just too many technical terms being thrown around! What would be a good entry level bike. What brakes , suspension should I go for . Which brand , size etc . I've seen silverback being touted as tbe go to bike for beginners . Also where in cape town would be a good place to go. I have a budget of about 8k. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

If you're in the southern suburbs or not from there, Crown Cycles in Lansdowne/Kenilworth have a variety of entry level Signal bikes which aren't bad and also come with a free first service.

As a beginner, the best advice I can give is to ignore all the technical jargon. Most of it is hype any way. 

Just visit a few shops, tell them your budget and that you are starting and let them recommend a bike. 

For R8k, a hard tail is probably your best bet. Try to get Hydraulic disc brakes. 

Best bang for buck brands are Axis, Titan and Silverback. 

Welcome Shafeek! Good luck in your search. Being in the Cape, I think you are in good hands here on the forum. 

Make sure you get the right size bike. Also take into account that you may need some extras (helmet, pedals (sometimes not included in the deal), bottle cages, bottles etc.)

2 hours ago, Eugene said:

As a beginner, the best advice I can give is to ignore all the technical jargon. Most of it is hype any way. 

Just visit a few shops, tell them your budget and that you are starting and let them recommend a bike. 

For R8k, a hard tail is probably your best bet. Try to get Hydraulic disc brakes. 

Best bang for buck brands are Axis, Titan and Silverback. 

I dont think I can agree with that...

Generalizing here,  but the bike shop will most likely just point to a bike they want to sell you instead of whats actually best for you.

My advice, if you know someone whos been through the journey - as in started out with a budget bike and not a newbie starting on a sworks epic, then they can guide you. Double points if they ride the same trails you planning on riding.