So Sad!!!

Walie I am

2 hours ago, CraigN said:

It seems like a reality these days... I wish upon a star for proper cycling lanes in the next 20 years

Bike lanes were a revelation for me when I arrived in Denmark.

So simple and obvious.

It does require patience on both sides though - for instance if you want to turn left here (or right in SA) as a cyclist you can't just turn with traffic you have to stop on the far side of the intersection, turn 90 degrees and wait for the lights to change before you head off.

Cars turning right (or left in SA) have to yield to bicycles going straight.

They work though - there are many, many, many more bikes here and almost no fatal accidents.

We have bike lanes, cars stopping/yielding to bikes is something else. However bike lanes here are over looked with loads of folk electing to ride in the road instead.

Just now, Eddy Gordo said:

We have bike lanes, cars stopping/yielding to bikes is something else. However bike lanes here are over looked with loads of folk electing to ride in the road instead.

Yup it takes compromise from both sides to work.

"Real" cyclists want to ride in the road where it's faster and motorists want to offload where it is easiest for them (in the bike lane of course). With attitudes like that on both sides it will never work.

5 hours ago, justinafrika said:

And who decreed that those driving banged-up skorokoros have to be the worst drivers around cyclists?!

My worst experiences so far have been with SUVs hah

*Edit: but everyone around here has an SUV (except me ;)) so it may just be the people in this area.

Edited by aquaratza

I got knocked of my bike onto a kakkie bonnet a week before level 5 lockdown last year. Thankfully my bike (or so I thought) survived and I got no injuries. It happened ON a cycle path of all places. The chop in the kakkie decided he was not stopping for me and proceeded to drive straight into me. I was so mad I started shouting at him threatening him with serious bodily hurt and before my rage went completely unchecked I yelled at him to vark off.

A week later I noticed my wheel bent in its moer.

[kakkie is a bakkie that is too small to be called a bakkie, like a corsa utility or a nissan np200] - hence, kakkie

Edited by Robbie Stewart

21 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I got knocked of my bike onto a kakkie bonnet a week before level 5 lockdown last year. Thankfully my bike (or so I thought) survived and I got no injuries. It happened ON a cycle path of all places. The chop in the kakkie decided he was not stopping for me and proceeded to drive straight into me. I was so mad I started shouting at him threatening him with serious bodily hurt and before my rage went completely unchecked I yelled at him to vark off.

A week later I noticed my wheel bent in its moer.

[kakkie is a bakkie that is too small to be called a bakkie, like a corsa utility or a nissan np200] - hence, kakkie

I thought it was the oke driving????

51 minutes ago, aquaratza said:

My worst experiences so far have been with SUVs hah

*Edit: but everyone around here has an SUV (except me ;)) so it may just be the people in this area.

you know what they say - "go to Bellville and CY"

1 hour ago, aquaratza said:

*Edit: but everyone around here has an SUV (except me ;)) 

Me too.

I have a pukka station wagon.

(but I am about to buy an XC60...)

4 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Saturday morning I was riding along this cycling lane ....

F-12.jpg.369a0b262762f24dab7959e99d73c989.jpg

Reality check:

- various sections are in a very bad state ... road bikes are going to struggle with this

- LOTS of pedestrians ... so all but possible to get a smooth rythm ...

- NO sholder to the road .... downright dangerous with 2 way traffic.

I slowed down a bit, and enjoyed the safety of this section.

PS ... zoom in watch that shicane .... sharp little bugger ????????  had some fun with these on the return trip

41 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Me too.

I have a pukka station wagon.

(but I am about to buy an XC60...)

If it’s a newish XC60 it will stop you before you drive into a cyclist. (At least straight on, it won’t stop you wide swiping them though)