Unethical online bike shops

Muddy

I understand that times are tough for EVERYONE but why do bike shops feel that it is OK to use unethical behavior on their online shops?

I was just browsing and I landed on Cycle Lab. I looked at they bikes and saw that they advertised a bike for what seems to be a very good price when you look at the pic. 1x11 drive train with hydraulic disc brakes. Scrolling down to the specs you realize that it is a 3x7 with mechanical brakes. It is not a difficult product pic to get as I found with a 30sec Google so why use an unrelated, clearly upspec'd picture for illustration purposed only when you are not trying to #@$ the uneducated? 

And then WHY do these unethical businesses make it though the pandemic when hard working honest business owners have to shutdown. Just does not seem right to me. Oh and before the Cycle Lab fans start, yip I will spend my money somewhere else, I'm just sad for those who get F'd over by them because, if they think it is OK to do this imagine what else they will do.

Have a look at any car ad, it’s always the top spec car advertised with the From price of the lowest spec version. 

but, if you are advertising x version of y bike, and your ad states x version, then put the correct pic. 

Buyer beware ...

Do your homework, and all that ....

I HAVE had my share of experiences with CWC, aka Cycle Lab ... and have posted about it often enough.

BUT, as it turns out, had an excellent experience on Sunday.  I had to buy new cycling glasses, and already knew what SportsmansWarehouse have in stock, as well as their prices.

Walking into CWC Steven walked up and gave me some good service.  Better glasses than at SW, slightly cheaper.

Walking up to the counter he proceded to instruct the till operator to give me the club discount.

The irony ... still cant find the glasses on their online store .... 

I was lucky, sunday was a good day at CWC .... 

23 minutes ago, Muddy said:

I understand that times are tough for EVERYONE but why do bike shops feel that it is OK to use unethical behavior on their online shops?

I was just browsing and I landed on Cycle Lab. I looked at they bikes and saw that they advertised a bike for what seems to be a very good price when you look at the pic. 1x11 drive train with hydraulic disc brakes. Scrolling down to the specs you realize that it is a 3x7 with mechanical brakes. It is not a difficult product pic to get as I found with a 30sec Google so why use an unrelated, clearly upspec'd picture for illustration purposed only when you are not trying to #@$ the uneducated? 

And then WHY do these unethical businesses make it though the pandemic when hard working honest business owners have to shutdown. Just does not seem right to me. Oh and before the Cycle Lab fans start, yip I will spend my money somewhere else, I'm just sad for those who get F'd over by them because, if they think it is OK to do this imagine what else they will do.

link to add?

34 minutes ago, Muddy said:

you should try bike parts...

Mark up has gone up from 50% on parts to 70% or thereabouts.

Blaming high shipping costs or the distributors when in fact the retail mark up is higher to still make overheads off lower sales. The cycle is a race to the bottom

I have had issues with their online specials advertised only being available at one specific store (not stated in the site). Apart from that I have had nothing but stellar service from Cycle Lab in Lynnwood and more specifically Herman. I also find their prices in general to be very competitive. 

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

The irony ... still cant find the glasses on their online store .... 

As I have it, you could find online items in store, but not necessarily store items online.

Apparently they operate "independently".

As for Steven, he still tries to provide old fashioned LBS service. ????

3 hours ago, Muddy said:

Hanlon's Razor.... Look it up

I have heard a number issues with Evobikes at the club rides. Personally had realy great service at Summitbikes (CT) the chap at Summitbike is a bike parts genuis and CWC both are highly recommend. LBS great but limited range.  Online bike stores should adopt a no hassle refunds and returns in 14 days or if product fails replacement with in12 months.  

14 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Cycle Lab is Usually very Legit.

I think they just used the Incorrect Picture Here

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/2021-silverback-stride-delight-hardtail-aluminium-mountain-bike

Holy Sh*t, that was quick! Yip it was that one and we all make mistakes but in this instance they actually confirmed to me that this is what they do, use pictures only for illustration purposes. Well at least they fixed it. As Tyler Hamilton taught us - there is never been a more honest man than the one caught cheating ;)

15 hours ago, ouzo said:

Have a look at any car ad, it’s always the top spec car advertised with the From price of the lowest spec version. 

but, if you are advertising x version of y bike, and your ad states x version, then put the correct pic. 

So that isn't the base model civic in your driveway?

12 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

So that isn't the base model civic in your driveway?

I could argue on a technicality there, in hatchback form, it is both the base model and top spec model for SA. ????