Leaving the bike in the car

Pieter1

Hi guys/girls

I plan on doing some after work rides and I’ll have to leave the bike in the car for the length of the work day. 
It gets pretty hot inside the car and I’m just wondering if the heat and repeatedly doing this will have any negative effects on the lifespan of seals, oils, grease or sealant?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Pieter1 said:

Hi guys/girls

I plan on doing some after work rides and I’ll have to leave the bike in the car for the length of the work day. 
It gets pretty hot inside the car and I’m just wondering if the heat and repeatedly doing this will have any negative effects on the lifespan of seals, oils, grease or sealant?

Thanks

will definitely have impact on the tyres, not sure about the rest.

A cheap fix is to cut some cardboard pieces out to fit inside your car windows to block the sun. A foldout sunscreen for the front window will keep the temperature down in the car.

I often use an old white cloth (cut to size) that I drape over the sun facing windows and tuck them into the doors then close the doors on them. Cheap and easy fix...

35 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

I dunno about the seals, but there's something I would like to know.

Your location says JHB, but that can't be accurate. Where is this place in Gauteng where it gets hot during the day?

He's in KL. 

Dunno why he just doesn't ride his bike to work

Just now, Meezo said:

He's in KL. 

Dunno why he just doesn't ride his bike to work

Yeah, that would be the simplest solution.

26 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

I have left a road bike in the back of a car for years while out at clients, no issues.

you've even left one under a car right? ????

PS: i've read that might cause some paint damage

Edited by MORNE

Pieter I have done this a couple of times, though not nearly as often as I would like to.

NO issues. 

NOTHING better than to fit in a ride in a new area after a business meeting or site inspection.

1 hour ago, thebob said:

Take the bike into the office! There will be a spot for it somewhere.

Jip, at work it is becoming easier to keep the bike inside.  We see this at more and more client's premises.

When I commute my bike stands next to my desk in the office  :clap:

It is for those "out of office days", especially when the day end in Villiersdorp or Noordhoek ... then it is just so handy to have the bike in the car and to enjoy a nice ride.

Park in the shade seems like the most obvious answer?

But realistically, how hot can it really get inside your car, especially if you use a windscreen shield thing and have tinted windows? I can't imagine that anything on a bike doesn't have a designed temperature range of at least 50 deg, so I think you're safe.