Thule Luggage boxes

RABUBI

does the Jimny have enough power to overcome the added drag ?

The Thule ones are well designed and are able to open both sides wich is cool.

Space added depends on the size you get, but take into account weight limits on the car, roof rails and the box.

A

I have an older Thule model. Works very well with soft luggage (can compress when you close the lid) and little loose bits. I think I paid R1500 for mine, but this was a decade or two ago. No idea what the cheaper ones are like. Would I buy one again: definitely.

Crosswinds are going to be even more fun than normal unless you've done some suspension upgrades.

As to the difference between the Thule and Makro options, make sure you've actually seen both before you make your choice. I can't back this up, but I have a feeling that you'll get what you pay for, even if it's not quite twice the product for twice the price.

Picked up one from my sister in law at a deal a year ago. They are awesome!! Thule all the way and the extra cost will be worth it because it will last you a lifetime. Not sure I see the value in the top end ones. Entry level would be just fine and also a bit smaller to allow for a bike up top as well.

As some others have mentioned, the Jimny is already a bit tall and lopey, its going to make it even more so if you add more weight to the roof.

Still it should be fine, its not like you are racing around corners in a Jimny as it is!

I have a Thule motion XT in size medium on a mazda CX-3 for loading in all the excess baby stuff and luggage when we go on longer trips. On that car the limit for roof loading 50 kg.  The box itself can take 75kg. Other than some extra wind noise…you dont even notice it is there. It has almost zero effect on fuel milage on our car (tested over 1200km) and you dont feel it any more than usual in cross winds on a cx-3 atleast…and we drove to Agulhas last week in those storms. The cx-3 is a pretty surefooted car though.

ps: they are expensive yes, but they work so much easier than so e of the el cheapos. As already mentioned, they can open from both sides…and i can mount it on my own without any help. Get it isured…it costs almost nothing. I think I pay like R20 or something. They are designed to basically be broken if you force entry.

Edited by MORNE

I have the Thule Touring S and took it for a 3 700 km road trip last week without any hassles.

3 soft bags fits easily. K-Way XL, K-Way L and a North Face M. 

Little to no extra drag and no wind noise. You do feel it when the wind is really pumping and I am sure you will feel it a bit more on a Jimny. 

2B0B9934-430C-4EA8-88A8-2854EA7750DB.jpeg