Bikepacking / Bike Touring

19 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

As these things go though, there's 3 factors - Cheap, Small, Light. Pick 2. If it's small and light, it won't be cheap etc etc. 

yes. sometimes the tradeoff can be sweetspot though if you think out the box.

eg: sleeping pad - https://www.firstascent.co.za/aero-5-5-lightweight-mattress R1400 and weighs 410g

fam14-green_0.jpg

vs

intex cheapo - R59 and weighs 650g. be careful with it and you won't get punctures

Intex Lounger Air-Mat Economat

Edited by Shebeen

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, copperhead said:

Thanks. I used to have a blog. My friends loved it. Then it became like something I HAD to do when I was riding. So I stopped it. I may start it again some day. On Instagram now and that was a big mistake. Worse then bloody cocaine that stupid app!! When I ride I tend to drop social media and get back to my old self. I am not a fan of social media. Will definitely let you know if I start the blog again. If you want to go and see it from time back search for Greg's search for water. You should be me PR manager. I have no clue how to make money out f things.

A new trip is on the cards soon. Once the weather clears up a bit.

in the sailing scene there is a very recent trend of youtubers making money to fund their cruising. people been cruising for years, but now with youtube clicks/patreon/buy me coffee, crowdfunding there is a weird way to make it work. the first two to do it successfully are doing well, there's some really good ones, but the inevitable thousands more out there flooding a (weird) market already.

I could sort of see it working for bikepacking,but it's a content heavy thing and you need decent editing gear. I don't think i could do it, it's selling your soul and probably too much time doing stuff you don't feel like doing.

http://gregssearchforwater.blogspot.com/

nice. i am going to close my browser and fool around with spreadsheets before i lose my entire friday morning

Jaco, bike touring is one of the best things you can do—on my deathbed I will probably flash back to the amazing places I have been privileged to visit in the company of wonderful people. Regarding sleeping stuff, I agree with the absolute importance of a liner. I have a silk one and I also use it in warmer weather as a blanket for my mattress. For summer touring I also use a Thermarest Honcho Poncho since it is open and I wear it outside.

I actually want to talk about my electronics system for bike touring. Since I'm so often off the bike drinking beer lying around reading a book I went for a solar charging option. I use the Anker Powerport. There are various others on the market that will work just as well. Below is the Powerport attached to my tent somewhere in Austria. 

2017-06-05_08-24-12_Danau-fietstoer.jpg.89260116fed181520093317fcd6dac08.jpg

While cycling it is placed on top of a bag plugged into a Power bank (with feed-through capability, like the Zendure stuff) and into my phone mounted onn the handlebars. I run Komoot omn the phone and also use Google Maps and Tripadvisor to find restaurants and beer gardens. I also carry a Kindle. My headlamp is a Led Lenser and you get a rechargeble battery pack for it with a USB port that replaces the three AAA batteries. My shaver/trimmer is this Gilette thing that is very small and light and powered by a single AA battery. You can use one of those USB AA batteries that can be charged from you system.IMG_4460.jpeg.7637ccdefb48098da5efdc093087fe75.jpeg

In conclution a USB-based system works really well for me and your promary input source can also be a hub dynamo should you not want to go the solar route.

Since I'm not getting any work done—too excited about bike touring now—here is some info about my cleaning setup. I use one of these SeatoSummit lightweight dry-bags as a washing bag. Put water, soap and dirty clothes in there and let it soak for a while, shake it a bit and done. There are various biodegradable liquid soaps on the market that is useful for cleaning clothes, dishes and yourself. The last part is the Flexo-line surgical tube clothesline. Of course you don't need this, but I find it is worth its weight. You also don't need any clothes pegs with it.

IMG_4461.jpeg.ae05761757e416cbaf155a258ffc5fe2.jpeg

I have experimented with various body soaps and also found that the concentrated liquid soaps work the best for me. One piece of kit that I really enjoy is my linen towel (100% Flax). They weave it with a "box weave" pattern to increase the surface area. The lovely thing about a linen towels is that it is naturally anti-bacterial and won't stink even if you pack it away slightly damp.

IMG_4462.jpeg.aede63451f3671a4bd6294d9ba173e65.jpeg

Edited by Rouxkeloos
Typos

You swines; such an interesting topic; minimising work.  Just back from a 4x4 overland trip and the clothes washing works well in a big ziplock bag as well.

18 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

You swines; such an interesting topic; minimising work.  Just back from a 4x4 overland trip and the clothes washing works well in a big ziplock bag as well.

No, no, no Mazambaan.
You dont say overland 4x4 trip and not send pics or info.
BUT PLEAAAAAAASE post pics and stuff in the camping thread. Tell us about where you went and what you did.

Ag, since it is Friday let us move on to the important stuff. When touring you never want to be caught at the top of one of our beautiful (gravel) mountain passes without the ability to produce good coffee. This is my setup. As a heat source I like the Trangia alcohol burner. I like using  methylated spirits as fuel since it is not a fossil fuel and you can use it inside a tent since the fumes are non-toxic. The stove I made myself from laser cut stainless steel with the design stolen from the internet. The picture below shows an extra stove in its folded form. I use a Lightmyfire fire steel to start things since it doesn't mind getting wet.

IMG_4466.jpeg.916eb6a1731619092e560fe9fd6b58b8.jpeg

For brewing I use the Checkers knock-off of the Bialetti moka pot. The Checkers one is dirt cheap and much lighter than the Bialetti. To make it even ligthter I removed the lid and added a wire handle (that also helps with handling above the open flame). The grinder is a Porlex, but on longer tours I don't take it, I just purchase or take ground coffee. For milk I use a SINGLE-WALL stainless steel bottle that I also warm up on the stove. Use use a fish mouth spreader to handle the hot bottle. The cups are the Wildo Fold-a-cup. I like how sturdy they are compared to some of a silicon offerings and it is lasting much longer than I expected. There is also a DIY tinfoil windshield that doubles as a caldera cone to cook faster.

IMG_4469.jpeg.796ddfefb8c979fff025a957a7f9a8eb.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

Unfortunately @Rouxkeloos, although I do enjoy my coffee, I'm going to be a philistine on my trip and drink the Starbucks instant roasts.

Blasphemy!

Jaco, this is my last one with equipment. Of course none is this is necessary—the only reason I take all this stuff is because the credit card is so empty. For cooking, I just the Trangia I already mentioned as a heat source. I like these very thin chopping boards for prep duties and also nice to do a kind of shared cheese board lunch/picnic thing that sees a lot of use in Europe where there is a lot of great bread and cheese around. The pot is a simple anodised aluminium pot with a lid that can serve as a pan. A plastic spork from Lightmyfire. The bowl is a Seatosummit Delta bowl. The knife is a Opinel no 12 carbon steel. I thought that this is the closest thing I can get to a proper chef's knife, but it does not feel like it. It is more of an oversized pocket knife. Therefore, I left it at home for my last tour and just used the Leatherman knife that is part of the toolkit anyway. A Scotchbright (no. 35) sponge for dishwashing and a linen tea towel for grabbing hot pots and drying dishes.

IMG_4470.jpeg.667d4798dbbbd17ec307ea3027385521.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Rouxkeloos said:

Jaco, this is my last one with equipment. Of course none is this is necessary—the only reason I take all this stuff is because the credit card is so empty. For cooking, I just the Trangia I already mentioned as a heat source. I like these very thin chopping boards for prep duties and also nice to do a kind of shared cheese board lunch/picnic thing that sees a lot of use in Europe where there is a lot of great bread and cheese around. The pot is a simple anodised aluminium pot with a lid that can serve as a pan. A plastic spork from Lightmyfire. The bowl is a Seatosummit Delta bowl. The knife is a Opinel no 12 carbon steel. I thought that this is the closest thing I can get to a proper chef's knife, but it does not feel like it. It is more of an oversized pocket knife. Therefore, I left it at home for my last tour and just used the Leatherman knife that is part of the toolkit anyway. A Scotchbright (no. 35) sponge for dishwashing and a linen tea towel for grabbing hot pots and drying dishes.

IMG_4470.jpeg.667d4798dbbbd17ec307ea3027385521.jpeg

From my zero bikepacking expeience, but extensive hiking experience, a spork isn't as useful as it seems imho. They're flimsy at times, melt, fall into pots and the fork is useless. I got a long handle titanium spoon... a million times better for cooking, eating, everything. https://seatosummitusa.com/products/alpha-light-utensil-long-spoon

If you're proper lazy, and want to get away quickly in the morning, you can make cereal/future life or whatever in a ziplock bag, eat it out of the bag (long handle spoon helps with this), and then chuck the bag and get on your way with almost zero dishes (apart from the spoon which can be licked clean). My hiking partner used to say he feels like his soul is dying when he eats out of a ziplock though, so he rather uses his pot and then has to wash it.  ????

Also.... Why a bowl and a pot? You realize they do the same job?

Also.... Do you ever use the lid of your pot as a pan? What for? If not, buy a big woolies pie, keep the pie tin, and cut a lid for your pot out of it. It'll literally be a few grams vs your super heavy pot pan lid. 

Also... Cut your dishtowel and sponge in half #grams

Also... Your knife is overkill. I have one of these: https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/product/victorinox-bantam/?gclid=CjwKCAjwxo6IBhBKEiwAXSYBsy36CtZ8f_1Ae4nY9Q8B2ArYYBB5bWM88m0zjIZRzc8H7RQcDlLZnBoC2UYQAvD_BwE . Literally only the stuff you actually need with nothing extra. 

Boom! Just saved you 300g, which is the same as upgrading your handlebar to a fancy carbon one. You're welcome. ????