Winelands Cycle Race in September

Paarl Rotary

The Winelands Cycle Race has been selected as an official seeding partner for the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021. The race will be held in Wellington on Sunday 5 September. This will be an excellent race to help you gear up and improve your seeding for the Cape Town Cycle Tour in October.

The Winelands race route of 97.2 km will take cyclists from Huguenot Primary in Wellington via the scenic Bovlei to Hermon and Riebeek Kasteel and back along the Malmesbury road. Online registration, timing and seeding will be done by Racetec, under the auspices of the Pedal Power Association. Online entries can be done at www.racetec.co.za at R260 (non-PPA entries R280).

Online entries will close on Monday 30 August at 09:00. Late entries and registration can be done on Friday 3 September at Bicycle Garage, Laborie Centre, Paarl from 14:00 to 17:00 and on Saturday 4 September from 10:00 to 15:00 at Chris Willemse Cycles, Willowbridge, or at the Cape Town Cycle Tour/Racetec office at 65 Ave De Mist, Rondebosch (also 10:00 to 15:00). Late entries cost R280 (R300 for non-PPA members). No late entries are allowed on race day.

All Covid protocols will be followed with cyclists starting in small groups. Masks must be worn before and after the race. Proceeds of the race go to Paarl Rotary projects focusing on early childhood and youth development. For further information, visit www.winelandscyclerace.co.za.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I'm counting the days. Really can't wait to race again.

Uhm ja ....

Each us longs for normality to return ....

Realistically though .... we will most probably still be at level 3 .... maximum 200 people, including all support staff ....

Yet another last minute "defer to a later date" ....

Never before have I so wished to be wrong !!

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Uhm ja ....

Each us longs for normality to return ....

Realistically though .... we will most probably still be at level 3 .... maximum 200 people, including all support staff ....

Yet another last minute "defer to a later date" ....

Never before have I so wished to be wrong !!

some how I don't think you're far wrong. Cape Pioneer cancelled last week already and now this one pops up as going ahead. can't see it happening. Gatvol of last minute cancellations

My WhatsApp is super busy with the Spur race organisers trying to get something going ....

That 200 limit barely covers one group to ride on the day ....

Also not sure of some other rules that applied to inter school sports ....

They are putting in so much effort ....

BUT ... They are keeping us properly posted, and not asking a cent until they know the racing can proceed ....

• 3 weeks later...

Wish all "small" races could just follow the self-seed approach of WP.
Few people would really willingly join a bunch that's way too strong for them, and at this point so many people have no recent events to indicate current ability. 

On 8/23/2021 at 12:48 PM, K20Champ said:

Any idea what the group sizes will be?

and seedings sent out?

Will this not just use the normal PPA seeding with non-members starting at the back (and me just before them)?

I've never seen such seeding, but was always a PPA member. I haven't renewed yet so let's see if I start at the back or at the front this time !

It's RaceTec seeding. PPA seeding is just a letter assignment to RaceTec numerical value.
This is not a PPA event.

Edited by bleedToWin

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

How is this event even going ahead under Level 3?

because it's just a number? lol 

Hope it does. but they might also just be scaley and rake in the money until the last day of registration, cancel and keep their 20% lol.

guess we'll find out soon enough.