Winelands Cycle Race in September

Paarl Rotary

47 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Not actually sure faster works, the other day there was that dude who passed everyone with his ebike-road bike (first time I saw one of these) up suikers south. Well he created quite a nice peloton of wheelsuckers (including me) all the way to green point????.

waitwaitwait,was this an elderly bloke on a white road ebike? I think was an Italian brand? Willier if I recall?

If yes thats quite a refreshing change. He was wheelsucking me up Chappies  a few weeks ago. I thought he was quite a cheeky F^%er

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I was too focused on looking like I was still doing a casual zone 2 ride while doing my turns in the front when I was actually hurting at 350w. His mates though didn’t really look like doing turns was their thing. i think the bike was white and the guy definitely wasn’t « fitness age 20 » though, I wouldn’t say elderly though

Edited by Jbr

16 hours ago, ChrisF said:

SAME can, and SHOULD, be asked of ALL events ..... :cursing:

We have only barely reached 10% vaccination, not the 60 to 60% that is used to motivate most European events.

We are in the midst of a very serious third wave.

Our hospitals are FULL !!!  We are talking in hours from a person away to the next being hooked up to his\her ventilator.  This is not event considering the number of ambulances turned away from private hospitals, as they simply dont have spare beds !!

And PLEASE, let's not kid our selfs with "covid protocols" at events ....

Masks are NOT worn in start shoots .... just look at the photos posted this weekend.

Masks are not worn after the event, and people gather in groups - as reported by riders of these events.

Organisers asks that riders keep at least a bike between each other before\after the event .... NOPE, rather stand hugging each other for the pics, obviously no masks ....  The organisers TRIED, the RIDERS gave a rats arse and dont comply ... guess who will be moaning when events are clamped down again.

NO, this is NOT an "emotional post".  These are merely the facts from the posts and pics after the weekend's events, as posted by Hubbers.

Hier nog BAIE mense onnodig dood gaan, ons wil mos nie saam werk nie.

Entered last night...

My thoughts - if the event gets cancelled because the authorities feel the local hospitals & ambulances are too overstretched to support the logistics of a funride I will be perfectly fine with it, that is the risk you take when entering events in covid times. But I'm not going to pre-empt that decision on their behalf, I assume at this point the organisers/authorities feel the event can still go ahead.

Vaccinations - Supply is not the problem, I think at this point everyone in CPT who wanted the vaccine would have had the opportunity to get at least one jab. If the take-up is slow due to anti-vaxxers and sceptics then I don't want to be held hostage by it. i'm going to the event fully vaccinated.

For the social distancing - when last have you been to a PPA road funride? Even pre-covid the post race vibe is usually non-existing, can't imagine there will be a race village, think once you are over the finishing mat it is straight back to your car and go home. (Would not be surprised if they don't hand out coke & medals at the finish)

14 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Entered last night...

My thoughts - if the event gets cancelled because the authorities feel the local hospitals & ambulances are too overstretched to support the logistics of a funride I will be perfectly fine with it, that is the risk you take when entering events in covid times. But I'm not going to pre-empt that decision on their behalf, I assume at this point the organisers/authorities feel the event can still go ahead.

Vaccinations - Supply is not the problem, I think at this point everyone in CPT who wanted the vaccine would have had the opportunity to get at least one jab. If the take-up is slow due to anti-vaxxers and sceptics then I don't want to be held hostage by it. i'm going to the event fully vaccinated.

For the social distancing - when last have you been to a PPA road funride? Even pre-covid the post race vibe is usually non-existing, can't imagine there will be a race village, think once you are over the finishing mat it is straight back to your car and go home. (Would not be surprised if they don't hand out coke & medals at the finish)

with you 100%. How long are we going to have to wait for normality just because some people take what they read on Facebook a little too seriously.

Heard the other on the radio about a SA study that said 55% of white males interviewed didn't want the vaccine.. I don't understand how they got these numbers but it's super scary, on the other hand most of the people I know here had at least one shot or are planning to get one soon....

I maintain that a single mildly popular restaurant creates more opportunities for viral spread in a single dinner run than an outdoor cycling event of this size possibly could. I want to race and I sleep soundly knowing that my money will fund this event.

13 hours ago, Jbr said:

Not actually sure faster works, the other day there was that dude who passed everyone with his ebike-road bike (first time I saw one of these) up suikers south. Well he created quite a nice peloton of wheelsuckers (including me) all the way to green point????.

hahaha

previous 2 mornings I met up with a commuter on his old Schwinn. Normal work clothes, tekkies, backpack, no helmet. 

Tuesday morning I pull away from the traffic light that we met at, slight tail wind, I get going, go down on the drop and put the power down enjoying the tailwind. Probably did 3 km before the next light catches me. By the time I've uncliped and put my foot down mr commuter is right next to me. Rinse and repeat. I could have gone quicker, but honestly not by more than a few km/h, and this guy was right behind me.

Just entered - last chance, entries close at 0900 tomorrow.

Weather looks like it will hold out for a decent event. My PPA Seeding is sitting at F at the moment, hopefully they dont  drop me further down the ranks after a miserable drought of training and events ...

Just hope the rain stays away.

Awaiting seedings, now that registrations closed.

Excitement building????‍♂️????‍♂️????‍♂️

12 minutes ago, K20Champ said:

Just hope the rain stays away.

Awaiting seedings, now that registrations closed.

Excitement building????‍♂️????‍♂️????‍♂️

Weather looking like it will hold - could easily change closer to the time:

image.png.e4c1273b8376ac550d9c373a39cf0dfe.png

15 hours ago, Kom said:

Just entered - last chance, entries close at 0900 tomorrow.

Weather looks like it will hold out for a decent event. My PPA Seeding is sitting at F at the moment, hopefully they dont  drop me further down the ranks after a miserable drought of training and events ...

I was B, dropped to D.

So C is the new A, D=B therefore F= D 

you'll be fine

4 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Where do I submit my FTP data? ????

if it wasn't automatic, you not Elite....

5 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Anyone have info re Substitutions for this Winelands race ?

nope, but I know a friend of mine missed out on the entries so he could be interested... Also I have a bit of a sore throat/dry caugh since yesterday, going to get my nose picked now, fingers crossed, otherwise I might have to sit that one out and give my entry away (although he won't be in the same group).

Edited by Jbr