Winelands Cycle Race in September

Paarl Rotary

3 hours ago, K20Champ said:

Just a few hours to go????‍♂️????‍♀️

Latest update on the weather gurus?

Starting in C Group, what can i expect? From the gun? and pace?

It’s going to be a Knysna number plate kind of day - CAW (Cold and wet)

A0A624E7-8CFC-495F-BB42-050E898D1655.jpeg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pls post how conditions of the day affected your result. Was it worth the effort doing the event for a seeding in CTCT? 

It was a bit rough on the body, for some reason I chose not to take the rain jacket but wear a base layer instead (that states : warm when wet, well that’s false advertising)

Basically the first 30k where the longest in  my life they felt like 3 hours, I was shaking and couldn’t move my fingers or get a feel for the bike/handlebars. A few okes actually pulled out early in the race…

Then couldn’t find my legs on the only climb of the day, got dropped and then from there I felt strong and came back through a few of the guys dropped along the way but no ways to get back to the group, but I kept going maybe a little too much as I ended up overcooking a turn a little but and locked the rear wheel ????

Anyways some much needed experience and finally a bit of racing but man that was a challenging one!

A402F466-B0F4-439E-882B-00BC9C3BD67F.jpeg

As far as I know I’m the only idiot who couldn’t keep the rubber side down ???? thanks I’ll be fine a couple unconfortable nights and it will be over ????

I was supposed to do the race with my wife.

But we’re also traveling soon, so due rain and risk of injury or getting sniffles we decided to skip the race.

Yup, as @Jbr said, first 20-30km was rough with the rain, wind and cold. But after that it was ok. I learnt my lesson at 2019 K2C lol. I was nice and cosy on my bike today.

Organizers also handled the whole covid thing very well imo, I wasn't in the start area for more than 5 minutes. Probably less. In, out.

ill admit when i was on my way there and seeing all the cars with bikes on them heading the other way, then stopping there in the torrential rain, I almost played the princess card too. But now I have some more manpoints instead haha.

All in all, good fun - except for a quick scare at Hermon when some kids begging for sweets were accompanied by a teenager who pulled a pistol in front of the group I was riding in. Maybe he thought about it, hopefully it was s bb gun, but he quickly ran into the field once he realised there were more cyclists than just the 8 or so in the group we were in.

56 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Yup, as @Jbr said, first 20-30km was rough with the rain, wind and cold. But after that it was ok. I learnt my lesson at 2019 K2C lol. I was nice and cosy on my bike today.

Organizers also handled the whole covid thing very well imo, I wasn't in the start area for more than 5 minutes. Probably less. In, out.

ill admit when i was on my way there and seeing all the cars with bikes on them heading the other way, then stopping there in the torrential rain, I almost played the princess card too. But now I have some more manpoints instead haha.

All in all, good fun - except for a quick scare at Hermon when some kids begging for sweets were accompanied by a teenager who pulled a pistol in front of the group I was riding in. Maybe he thought about it, hopefully it was s bb gun, but he quickly ran into the field once he realised there were more cyclists than just the 8 or so in the group we were in.

I learnt my lesson from 2019 K2C as well, I’m one of the okes that pulled the princess card seeing that I wasn't that cosy????

On 7/29/2021 at 2:33 PM, Paarl Rotary said:

The Winelands Cycle Race has been selected as an official seeding partner for the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021. The race will be held in Wellington on Sunday 5 September. This will be an excellent race to help you gear up and improve your seeding for the Cape Town Cycle Tour in October.

The Winelands race route of 97.2 km will take cyclists from Huguenot Primary in Wellington via the scenic Bovlei to Hermon and Riebeek Kasteel and back along the Malmesbury road. Online registration, timing and seeding will be done by Racetec, under the auspices of the Pedal Power Association. Online entries can be done at www.racetec.co.za at R260 (non-PPA entries R280).

Online entries will close on Monday 30 August at 09:00. Late entries and registration can be done on Friday 3 September at Bicycle Garage, Laborie Centre, Paarl from 14:00 to 17:00 and on Saturday 4 September from 10:00 to 15:00 at Chris Willemse Cycles, Willowbridge, or at the Cape Town Cycle Tour/Racetec office at 65 Ave De Mist, Rondebosch (also 10:00 to 15:00). Late entries cost R280 (R300 for non-PPA members). No late entries are allowed on race day.

All Covid protocols will be followed with cyclists starting in small groups. Masks must be worn before and after the race. Proceeds of the race go to Paarl Rotary projects focusing on early childhood and youth development. For further information, visit www.winelandscyclerace.co.za.

Hi All we had been waiting so long for racing to come back, but I must say that this race was a farce. You took our entry fee, and you couldn't even provide us with medals or even refreshments at the end. You all left us to suffer in the cold and on top of that have our cars stuck in the Mud in the parking, no organisers at the end. You are all using Covid19 as an excuse to poor race organisation, surely you could have managed social distancing at the end,

IMG_20210905_102213.jpg

Now the organisers are going to be responsible for the bad weather ????

The start procedure was good, the marshalling was safe (as in no marshal drove into the bunch causing a crash like in prev event), turns were well marked and staffed, it was clear from the start that there would be no refreshment at the end. Ok the parking exit was muddy, well that’s what happens when it rains on grass, i would have parked outside if I didn’t have a car that can handle a little bid of mud

Edited by Jbr

I enjoyed the race, only the start and end of the race was cold and wet. Only one issue I had was at the one intersection, there was a massive in the puddle on a bend/turn but the Marshall's was opposite the road dodging the rain, luckily I saw the puddle in time. Other than that, I don't regret doing the race.

Also enjoyed the race. It was a nice experience riding in the rain again. The last time I rode in the rain was the SCT in 2017. Salute to the organizers.