Winelands Cycle Race in September

Paarl Rotary

Also..there were refreshments at the end ( coke cans - covid safe i presume) and they did say at the start that there will be no post race anything. They also said that cutoff was 1pm…so if you arrived to empty everything, well theres your problem☺️

ps: if you really want a medal, pm me, i have lots lying in drawers i dont give a toss about. The entry fee was way lower than other PPA races. I got to ride a route I cant on my own…and i got a coke at the end…and manpoints for starting. Worth it.

Edited by MORNE

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Arrie said:

I enjoyed the race, only the start and end of the race was cold and wet. Only one issue I had was at the one intersection, there was a massive in the puddle on a bend/turn but the Marshall's was opposite the road dodging the rain, luckily I saw the puddle in time. Other than that, I don't regret doing the race.

Might be where I crashed, right at the end like 91/92 km ?

I recovered my bike half sunk in a puddle (like 10/15cm deep). And I still hear people worrying about the AXS batteries ???? 

Edited by Jbr

10 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Might be where I crashed, right at the end like 91/92 km ?

I recovered my bike half sunk in a puddle (like 10/15cm deep). And I still hear people worrying about the AXS batteries ???? 

Yip sounds like the same location,  was a right turn. I was upset.

6 minutes ago, Arrie said:

Yip sounds like the same location,  was a right turn. I was upset.

You guy that rode off from the C group? 

Did you drop back or seeded in wrong group ????‍♂️

9 minutes ago, babse said:

You guy that rode off from the C group? 

Did you drop back or seeded in wrong group ????‍♂️

Hahaha I was seeded there

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

ah no my hip reminds me every 10 mins that it was a left turn

I went into that left turn with a companion who ended up going straight when the brakes (or the hands) couldn't slow the bike enough. Tough day out indeed.

Also. Lol at the oke making a forum profile to complain on a platform where the organisers are not present about not getting a medal.
What is this, laerskool atletiek dag?

Started in B batch after my friend convinced me to ditch my pre-selected breakfast bailout plans with 'its just some light drizzle' and 'we drove all the way already' ????‍♂️. Conditions varied from sopping wet to paddling upstream on my bike.

Kudos to the guys in B-batch all round, sensible riding, working well in the paceline upfront ????. Throw in some familiar faces from my Tuesday ride group and it was actually super fun ????. Lost a water bottle (dead weight with all that rain ????‍♂️) ... but managed to hang onto my wheels through a few slippery corners. Got home in 2.41, fun morning out ... nice start to the 'spring' 2021 racing season ????

Good race despite weather and poor organisation; bad water points,  missing officials at finish, no medals, no assistance in car parks with mud, race organizers are blaming Covid for everything! Shame on you!

9 hours ago, Rush1 said:

Good race despite weather and poor organisation; bad water points,  missing officials at finish, no medals, no assistance in car parks with mud, race organizers are blaming Covid for everything! Shame on you!

Read my post right at the top of this page. Guess it applies to you too lol. 

But really guys, is this the only reason you do it? For a crappy stamped medal? Did you have fun at least? If not, why do you even do it?

In the past if you pitched up after the party was packed up you didn't get a medal.  This ‘everybody gets a medal’ for just taking part is such a millennial+ thing….and I say that as technically being one as an early 80s baby i guess. 

Again, everything you are complaining about was explained either in the email or in the starting area.

on a side note, i preempted the grass would be a clusterf@ck in that rain so i parked in the street…like some of the other smarter people.

Sometimes we just need to take a look in the mirror before blaming the universe for our own shortfalls i guess.

anyway, i have no affiliation with the organisers. Just find it crazy how much ppl can complain about bullsh1t and a sub R300 event…ran in lvl3 lockdown lol

Edited by MORNE

Is it accurate to say that the people who parked on the field isn't mountain bikers? One could see before the start of the race that it's going to be a mudfest later on.

44 minutes ago, MORNE said:

But really guys, is this the only reason you do it? For a crappy stamped medal? Did you have fun at least? If not, why do you even do it?

In the past if you pitched up after the party was packed up you didn't get a medal.  This ‘everybody gets a medal’ for just taking part is such a millennial+ thing….and I say that as technically being one as an early 80s baby i guess. 

Again, everything you are complaining about was explained either in the email or in the starting area.

on a side note, i preempted the grass would be a clusterf@ck in that rain so i parked in the street…like some of the other smarter people.

Sometimes we just need to take a look in the mirror before blaming the universe for our own shortfalls i guess.

anyway, i have no affiliation with the organisers. Just find it crazy how much ppl can complain about bullsh1t and a sub R300 event…ran in lvl3 lockdown lol

This!

I hope the organisers of this and potential future events don’t read this forum, it was fantastic being at an event again, really missed it. Let’s have more! No medals or sugar cocktails at the end needed!

I pulled the Princess card and supported my son riding instead. I felt really jealous after the turn off at Hermon when the weather actually became nice. (Actual sun over Bothmas).

The last 20-30km closer to wellington were treacherous though.

Damn right, we want races, well marked and as safe as can be ! I don't give a f*** about medals or mojitos at the end, if you can provide parking it's even better, but I don't mind parking a bit further away, most days (except yesterday) I'll warmup for 15mins anyways !

The only thing outside of the race I really want is toilets, and if possible without guys from the E batch sitting in there reading a book when you must go line up on the start line in 15 mins ????

Edited by Jbr

17 minutes ago, Titleist said:

Is it accurate to say that the people who parked on the field isn't mountain bikers? One could see before the start of the race that it's going to be a mudfest later on.

I drive a duster and I was starting early so I took the risk but I did consider moving my car, if I had the sandero I would definitely have parked on the road ????

Edited by Jbr