Winelands Cycle Race in September

Paarl Rotary

42 minutes ago, K20Champ said:

How tough was this race / route /  conditions yesterday, compared to the CTCT?

What time would you have had to do yesterday to be on par for a SUB 3 ctct?

bru.....the question is sacrilege....

Nuffing are as tuff as ve Argust

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the organisers, Paarl Rotary: We are sorry that the weather conditions were not favourable yesterday for cycling. We were advised that we would not receive a permit to hold the race if we provided any food and beverage stands at the finish. We did have coke supplying cans of free drinks at the finish. With regard to medals: we had no time to manufacture medals as we received approval from Western Cape Dept. of Health only 1 week before the race. We will consider other parking areas for future races when it is raining, to prevent people from getting stuck in the mud.

·         

Even though that weather was terrible it felt sooooo good to race again. The B group kept it safe and sensible so thanks to anybody that was riding in there.

The worst thing about the parking area was the thought of getting my shoes muddy but I navigated well enough to avoid that. I drive a bakkie so the natural choice was to wheelspin out of there and wonder if any cars would make it out after me.

48 minutes ago, KingZA said:

Even though that weather was terrible it felt sooooo good to race again. The B group kept it safe and sensible so thanks to anybody that was riding in there.

The worst thing about the parking area was the thought of getting my shoes muddy but I navigated well enough to avoid that. I drive a bakkie so the natural choice was to wheelspin out of there and wonder if any cars would make it out after me.

so it was you that muddied the cars...? were you at least courteous?

Edited by DieselnDust

24 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Let's go!

I'm guessing the winning time adjusted to 2h20, and a beta of 1.4

Wait till they tell you that the field was too small and there wasn't enough climbing so they wont use it for CTCT seeding after all. ???? 

This is what they did with the Langebaan race even though it was a "Premier Seeding Event"

I wouldn't mind, I have a feeling this one could have a negative impact on my seeding considering I didn't make it in the first half of my group ;)

But I don't see why the route wouldn't qualify, first it didn't change on race day, and second 900m on a 95km route is pretty much what CTCT is ? Isn't it like 109 with 1000ish m of climbing ?

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I wouldn't mind, I have a feeling this one could have a negative impact on my seeding considering I didn't make it in the first half of my group ;)

But I don't see why the route wouldn't qualify, first it didn't change on race day, and second 900m on a 95km route is pretty much what CTCT is ? Isn't it like 109 with 1000ish m of climbing ?

1350m.

If we had enough people of different abilities (and I think we did) then it should get seeded and used.
Won't negatively affect your seeding as they always use your best.

52 minutes ago, Paarl Rotary said:

From the organisers, Paarl Rotary: We are sorry that the weather conditions were not favourable yesterday for cycling. We were advised that we would not receive a permit to hold the race if we provided any food and beverage stands at the finish. We did have coke supplying cans of free drinks at the finish. With regard to medals: we had no time to manufacture medals as we received approval from Western Cape Dept. of Health only 1 week before the race. We will consider other parking areas for future races when it is raining, to prevent people from getting stuck in the mud.

·         

NO appologies needed.

BIG THANKS to you and your team for putting this together.

Parking ... those of us that have done enough events over the years have experienced this before .... it happens.

Again,  BIG THANKS

On 7/29/2021 at 2:33 PM, Paarl Rotary said:

The Winelands Cycle Race has been selected as an official seeding partner for the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021. The race will be held in Wellington on Sunday 5 September. This will be an excellent race to help you gear up and improve your seeding for the Cape Town Cycle Tour in October.

The Winelands race route of 97.2 km will take cyclists from Huguenot Primary in Wellington via the scenic Bovlei to Hermon and Riebeek Kasteel and back along the Malmesbury road. Online registration, timing and seeding will be done by Racetec, under the auspices of the Pedal Power Association. Online entries can be done at www.racetec.co.za at R260 (non-PPA entries R280).

Online entries will close on Monday 30 August at 09:00. Late entries and registration can be done on Friday 3 September at Bicycle Garage, Laborie Centre, Paarl from 14:00 to 17:00 and on Saturday 4 September from 10:00 to 15:00 at Chris Willemse Cycles, Willowbridge, or at the Cape Town Cycle Tour/Racetec office at 65 Ave De Mist, Rondebosch (also 10:00 to 15:00). Late entries cost R280 (R300 for non-PPA members). No late entries are allowed on race day.

All Covid protocols will be followed with cyclists starting in small groups. Masks must be worn before and after the race. Proceeds of the race go to Paarl Rotary projects focusing on early childhood and youth development. For further information, visit www.winelandscyclerace.co.za.

The route was not too bad though it was a test of endurance with unpleasant weather.I think that there should have been some rain/wind shelter at the start when the riders wait to start in their groups.

1 hour ago, Arrie said:

im surprised there is no Beta conversations yet

Don't get your hopes up too much, those Beta calcs are a bit of a black box mystery. I have done my fair share of races in adverse weather conditions which had no notable impact on the beta.

4 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

What that you need from officials at the finish, a pat on the back?
I guess so since you also wanted a well done for showing up medal. ????

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

If anyone wants medals I'll gladly mail one to you.it won't be for sundays event but rather something random from my previous decade collection.

To everyone bashing the peeps complaining about the medals, remember that for many this might be the only race they do this year (or at least the first race in 2 or 3 years with covid). For many casual cyclists cycling 97km is an achievement (especially in this weather) & medals are pretty standard at funrides so it is something many participants want & expect to receive. 

Not everyone do 20+ races a year and have boxes full of the things lying around in the garage.

Think the organisers gave a good explanation of why they didn't hand out medals and in hindsight it is something they could have communicated better before the event.

There's a gap between thinking "oh, no medals, that's disappointing" and creating a profile to post "shame on you" for not getting a medal though

Edited by Jbr

lol and a free, SEALED can of coke of your choice is literally worth more than a crappy medal. I got 2, so double value????

The parking was FREE...why all the complaints. It's not going to be free to the school/club to fix all the damage to the rugby field is it. Maybe they'll give medals to the ones who volunteer their time to fix the ruts they dug with their 'Tuna's

PS: my real prize was beating the E-bike i chased for 80km to the line haha. 

Edited by MORNE

13 minutes ago, Jbr said:

There's a gap between thinking "oh, no medals, that's disappointing" and creating a profile to post "shame on you" for not getting a medial though

Not something I would do personally but people complaining on the hub about not getting medals at events is about as old as the hub itself