Winelands Cycle Race in September

Paarl Rotary

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Arrie said:

thats why WP Cycling should run with all the events, they are much more efficient

WP Cycling ... the same guys who forgot about our whole start group last weekend at the Worcester event, only to first try deny/then cancel/then scramble a support car (that got lost took us on a few u-turns) to kick-off the long open group on a shortened route ????

I understand its tough to organize these things, but I've always found the PPA related/fun rides more supportive of general riders ... CTCT is after all largely a fun ride for the majority of us. Its great to have multiple organizing bodies IMHO though - healthy competition with options to suit everyone.

1 hour ago, MDJ said:

WP Cycling ... the same guys who forgot about our whole start group last weekend at the Worcester event, only to first try deny/then cancel/then scramble a support car (that got lost took us on a few u-turns) to kick-off the long open group on a shortened route ????

I understand its tough to organize these things, but I've always found the PPA related/fun rides more supportive of general riders ... CTCT is after all largely a fun ride for the majority of us. Its great to have multiple organizing bodies IMHO though - healthy competition with options to suit everyone.

cat1 commissaire also got lost. We just stayed on route while he did his u-turns.

Mmultiple organizing bodies is indeed a good idea, and I feel the bar is low enough that anyone can join and will be well received at this point.

18 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Seeding out via
http://seeding.cycletour.co.za/riderseeding.aspx

Beta of 1.03 and winning time adjusted by 6min30. What schmucks...

it gives me an index of 9,24 vs 11,55 for the PPA Sportive #1, is it the lower the better ? I find it surprising as I thought both races were kind of similar results for me, not sure what the beta and adjusted time are ? Beta is higher if the race was very difficult ?

Lower is better yes.
((T_you - T_winner) / T_winner ) * (1 / beta)

Basically how far behind the (adjusted) winning time did you finish expressed as a percentage of said winning time, with a beta to adjust this based on route and weather conditions (not thumb sucked, it should be a curve fit based on all participants). The value is meant to be how much slower you are expected to be than CTCT winner, so lower will be used. If the winning time is 2h30, you are expected to finish 9.24% behind that, so 2h44.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:59 AM, bleedToWin said:

Seeding out via
http://seeding.cycletour.co.za/riderseeding.aspx

Beta of 1.03 and winning time adjusted by 6min30. What schmucks...

Given that you only need an index of about 20 to get into the CTCT racing groups this year I think its fine? (Assuming because of lower entries & everybody's seeding taking a whack due to lack of races the requirements are far more forgiving)