Shimano introduce new flat and SPD pedals

News bot

To maintain its industry-leading pedal platforms, Shimano has released four new Flat pedals – the SAINT PD-M829, the DEORE XT PD-M8141, the SHIMANO PD-GR400, a new Explorer PD-EF102 pedal and an updated version of its SPD SAINT downhill pedal (PD-M821).

View full article

These actually look dam nice. I see lower pegs centre versus higher ones edges, front back i mean. So is that how they getting some sort of 'concave' i assume? The new flat shoes also look nice, hope sole is stiff ish. Wonder what pricing will come in at...

27 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I know nothing about these type of pedals being a roadie and all. So please excuse my ignorance, but what is this for?

Capture.JPG.82dfb7e6953947552c021eeaf09635b4.JPG

Can't find any info, but perhaps to adjust the angle at which a detent stops the pedal's rotation? 

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I know nothing about these type of pedals being a roadie and all. So please excuse my ignorance, but what is this for?

Could it be to prevent the axle from undoing during pedaling? No idea honestly

8 minutes ago, Johnny Lawless said:

Could it be to prevent the axle from undoing during pedaling? No idea honestly

it does seem to look like some sort of over complicated locking mechanism for the axle bolt

If I should guess, its for adjusting how freely the pedal spins.

When putting a foot down you would want your pedal flat again when bringing your foot back. If it hangs freely and contacts the ground it could spin a lot and you can struggle putting your foot flat on it again and nobody wants a foot to slip off of one of these pedals and it bites your shin.

Edited by JA-Q001

[comic sans on]

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

It's to keep the pedal horizontal so that newbies/rookies/roadies don't fall over sideways when trying to "cleat in".

or

It's to also keep the pedal horizontal, so the BMXers don't bash their shin against the pins when their foot pulls off the pedal.

[comic sans off]

1 minute ago, JA-Q001 said:

When putting a foot down you would want your pedal flat again when bringing your foot back. If it hangs freely and contacts the ground it could spin a lot and you can struggle putting your foot flat on it again and nobody wants a foot to slip off of one of these pedals and it bites your shin.

See we were thinking the same thing ????

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

See we were thinking the same thing ????

People that have felt the pain would understand. Although, I last had flat pedals on the bike I delivered newspapers with.

4 minutes ago, JA-Q001 said:

People that have felt the pain would understand. Although, I last had flat pedals on the bike I delivered newspapers with.

Primary school for me - lots of hits to the shins

11 minutes ago, JA-Q001 said:

Spot on, it adjusts the resistance between the pedal and its axle. Specifically important for free riders doing tricks in the air and taking their feet of the pedals. You want the pedal to remain flat, so that when you put your foot back down it’s in the right place. To a lesser extent downhill/Trail/Enduro riders don’t want the pedal spinning around at 14 billion rpm if it happens to clip a branch or something while you have your foot out in a turn.

But, if your riding a pedal like this, and aren’t wearing shin guards, you need to seriously re-asses your life's choices. ????