Buying bike parts these days from Alixpress and Wish

RABUBI

With the current state of the SA Postal service, anyone ordering online?

IF yes, how long is the leadtime to receive the parts?

1 minute ago, RABUBI said:

With the current state of the SA Postal service, anyone ordering online?

IF yes, how long is the leadtime to receive the parts?

I did manage to get a parcel through SAPO via Alliexpress last month, and yes it took very long, something like 30+ days (lost track).

It is a lot more expensive, but I will not buy again without a known courier.

i ordered a DT Swiss XDR driver from the states. took 3 months to arrive. the shipper classified the first one as lost and and sent another which took 4 months.

i informed the shipper when the second one arrived and they said not to worry about it.

i now have 2 DT Swiss XDR drivers - cool, but not sure what to do with it now

I ordered from AliExpress, got the parcel in less than two months.  Quicker than their estimated time though.

I use aliiexpress, but get items shipped to Aramex Hong Kong offices.  From there it comes by Aramex global shopper, you pay additional for the service but it by-passes SAPO.

A lot of sellers on Aliexpress will no longer deliver to SA via the EMS/SAPO option as over the years many items get "lost" and disputes/refunds/send another happens.  So you will see they only offer courier options at very expensive rates or they will not send to SA.  Check the shipping option before you buy!!

Aliexpress to Aramex HK to SA takes about 3-4 weeks.

My last parcel arrived about 3 weeks ago. 5 weeks from ordering to in my hands (not bad for the free shipping option)

A lot of lucky guys on here. My last order on wish was just as lockdown started last year. I got the refund and forgot about it, only for SAPO to deliver it about a month ago. A little more than a year to deliver, 

I lived in Japan for two weeks, used to be amazing that I ordered something from Alix, then 1 week later I received. 

I can kick myself for not filling half of my container coming back with Bike parts

11 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

???

ali.jpg.cbe70849d88fb4d8ecb03d41dae66073.jpg

As I said in my earlier post, many sellers will no longer use EMS/SAPO and give ridiculous courier costs or will not even ship to SA.  A work around I use is ship to Aramex Hong Kong and then ships by Aramex Global Shopper to get delivered.

I ordered from Ali a few months back and it included FedEx IP shipping which I'd not used before.  I had the item in my hand (delivered to my door) in just under a week and there were zero customs or clearing fees.  That was great! 

19 minutes ago, shaper said:

As I said in my earlier post, many sellers will no longer use EMS/SAPO and give ridiculous courier costs or will not even ship to SA.  A work around I use is ship to Aramex Hong Kong and then ships by Aramex Global Shopper to get delivered.

Guess I’ve been fortunate.  I’ve received all-sorts of items from Asia and Europe and the USA without SAPO (or courier) issues, including a couple of watch purchases.

Three large boxes from a Johannesburg supplier however ended up in three different cities, thanks DHL.

Edited by justinafrika

3 hours ago, justinafrika said:

Guess I’ve been fortunate.  I’ve received all-sorts of items from Asia and Europe and the USA without SAPO (or courier) issues, including a couple of watch purchases.

Three large boxes from a Johannesburg supplier however ended up in three different cities, thanks DHL.

There is also another work around. Many of the sellers on Aliexpress are also on Ebay, you buy there and it is usually sent courier and not at ridiculous rates.  Go figure!!

Edited by shaper

• 1 year later...

Dredging up an old thread here.

I never tried Aliexpress before and the horror stories i read with SAPO and taking months to get your parcel kind of makes me stear clear - The wife wants to get some hobby stuff thats no available in ZA but lots on aliexpress

So what's the best way of doing it - I looked at Aramex global shopper its cost 75 ronds for basic lifetime account - Does it work properly ? is it worth it ?

Comments from experienced Aliexpress shoppers would be appreciated thanx