Bike Light/Battery Run Time

Lamber

Bike Light/Battery Run Time  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you need the battery of your bike light to last typically (being cost dependent) ?

• 1-2 Hours (Medium lumen setting)
    • 1-2 Hours (High lumen setting)
    • 2-4 Hours (Medium lumen setting)
    • 2-4 Hours (High lumen setting)
    • 4-8 Hours (Medium lumen setting)
    • 4-8 Hours (High lumen setting)
    • 8+ Hours (Alternating between low, medium, high lumen setting)
  2. 2. How many Bike Light Batteries/packs do you own?

• 1 x Less expensive battery for training, 1 x expensive battery for races that last longer
    • 2 x Exact same batteries, one in use, one for back-up
    • I only use one battery until it is depleted before replacing it
    • I own multiple batteries

Hi all,

I'm currently in the development phase of a new battery pack (4 cell 10 000mAh - 1st of it's kind in SA) but would like to gauge the market to determine whether I keep it for personal use only or market it as part of my existing range.

All input is appreciated and welcome ????

In general...........speaking quantities....... looking around me at friends riding daily outside?

Not many battery packs.  People hate them.  They scratch your frame.  Heavy.  Crappy mounting.  Cables everywhere.

Way, WAY more lights on bikes that has the battery and light as one unit.  
Lyzene, Bontrager, Exposure etc.

Just a thought............

5 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

In general...........speaking quantities....... looking around me at friends riding daily outside?

Not many battery packs.  People hate them.  They scratch your frame.  Heavy.  Crappy mounting.  Cables everywhere.

And charging via usb like my edge and varia is also a bonus.

I still have an old style battery pack like you mention with the looooong cable and had to make plans to prevent scratching and try make it look nice at least. I am lucky that there is a plug point right were my bikes park so just leave the charger in the plug but I would prefer to just plug it into the pc.

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

Can't agree with you more. Personally I am a big fan of Ryder's Concept 1000 seeing as I can pop cells in and out at will and/or carry a spare. This coincides with the movement towards clean and uncluttered handlebars without spinning the lead cable 50 x around it.

I do however believe that battery packs have their place in ultra races (I sell majority of my packs to Freedom challenge and Munga riders) for the time being at least. 

Thanks for your advice - it's exactly the type of input I'm looking for.

6+ hours ride time.

However seldom more than an hour, max 2 hours, at high lumen.  At dawn I switch to a bright slow flash mode.

Standard Lyzene 800 does this comfortably.

Ironically, the only battery issue with these longer rides is the Garmin computer.  Now in the habit to top it up from a battery bank during a coffee stop