Making a DH bike not so crap at peddling ?

Stavros94

you gonna love what this guy did

I wanted it set up to ride up AND down the local peaks on rocky, hard-packed, single track and fire roads, so here's how it looks as of today with the addition of the AB oval 30T.

p5pb20903277.jpg

p5pb20903277.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

you gonna love what this guy did

I wanted it set up to ride up AND down the local peaks on rocky, hard-packed, single track and fire roads, so here's how it looks as of today with the addition of the AB oval 30T.

p5pb20903277.jpg

p5pb20903277.jpg

PS: it needs drop bars. Yes. it wants to be the monster it looks like. 

tenor.gif

rick morty venture bros main.jpg

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

imagine what he's capable of on something that can actually really pedal uphill.

Oh .. and just by the way @ the Epic

Wide range 1 x cassette

Dropper Post

Rear shock with lockout/pedal mode

Lower/ single crown fork

Might not be cheaper, but Sorted

Wont be fun to climb unless you make it worse at going DH. 

Its been said. Get a 26'Enduro

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

the answer is in the video. He not even once talks about pedalling the bike other than this: 

at 10:30of that video ???? 

ill quote:
" at enduro races the name of the game is not to get to the top of the hill as quick as possible.....top guys at the enduro races walk up 2000ft climbs to conserve energy" 

so no...they didn't get it right lol. it's not a trail bike...its an enduro bike built out of a DH bike...and still sucks going up hill

That moment when you realise that Enduro has in very short span of time lost it’s back to basics roots, and now it’s basically just downhill without the shuttle….????

2 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

A DH bike is always going to be horrible to pedal. You can fit a dropper and change the gearing but it's made to go down the hill well. Nothing is going to change that,

You have 4 options here.

1. Go to the shuttle days at Hells end etc

2. make friends with a guy with a bakkie. Shuttle with him

3. Buy your own bakkie. Use it to shuttle and watch your friends slowly destroy it

4. Save up 30k a year and take your DH bike to the Alps and ride it in the environment it was built for.

Don't sell it. They are worth nothing 2nd hand and they are such fun things to ride when the conditions are right. I have a DH bike that I ride MAYBE 6 times a year.

Best answer here. I don’t know why more South Africans haven’t figured this out yet. Not really relevant to this post, but if one weighs up cost of Sani2C sleeping in a tent in the mud for 3 days, or week of lift assisted riding in Europe and sipping aperol spritz from the verandah of your chalet in the evenings. 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

An interesting question to which the answer is; Sell and buy a trail bike

Buy a trail bike. But keep the DH. You going to get nothing for it, and even if you just use it’s once or twice a season at a shuttle day, keep it. The joy it will give you on those one or two shuttle runs a year are worth more than you going to get for it. Also, if you do opt for Herr Bosch’s brilliant suggestion above, you can save up to 80eur a day on bike rental fees…. Which buys lots of beer. ???? 

For more sound financial planning advice, tune it at 19:00 for my podcast. We are dealing with the age old question, What do you do when your wife says your bikes are taking up too much room? (Spoiler alert, there’s only two choices)

20 minutes ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

That moment when you realise that Enduro has in very short span of time lost it’s back to basics roots, and now it’s basically just downhill without the shuttle….????

Best answer here. I don’t know why more South Africans haven’t figured this out yet. Not really relevant to this post, but if one weighs up cost of Sani2C sleeping in a tent in the mud for 3 days, or week of lift assisted riding in Europe and sipping aperol spritz from the verandah of your chalet in the evenings. 

Buy a trail bike. But keep the DH. You going to get nothing for it, and even if you just use it’s once or twice a season at a shuttle day, keep it. The joy it will give you on those one or two shuttle runs a year are worth more than you going to get for it. Also, if you do opt for Herr Bosch’s brilliant suggestion above, you can save up to 80eur a day on bike rental fees…. Which buys lots of beer. ???? 

For more sound financial planning advice, tune it at 19:00 for my podcast. We are dealing with the age old question, What do you do when your wife says your bikes are taking up too much room? (Spoiler alert, there’s only two choices)

You mean #Enduro is the old DH, just you have pedal vs shuttle and DH with a shuttle is the old Klunker Racing, just you had to pedal .... this whole circle of life thing is mesmerising 

Ultimate Renegades | Meet the Repack Racers who Rode...

Depending what “not too much money” is:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/fat-bikes/490007/fat-cat-pro

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/fat-bikes/488968/titan-whopper-race

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/489223/ellsworth-epiphany-26er?referrer=top

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/476023/reduced-gt-zaskar-100-team-carbon-dual-great-cond
(this GT is technically an XC bike, but they can rip. I had one years back. This is the bike that made me realise you should never sell a bike when you upgrade. I will always miss it)

5 hours ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Oh .. and just by the way @ the Epic

I love this video. Have ridden all those trails except for the bit in Aquilla. 

Time to organise another weekend away….

15 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

Please don't get me started.

I've done 10 (There or thereabouts) trips to Morzine and the first morning of the first day is worth the price of the trip. My last trip cost 23k all in. That's why the old klunker DH bike won't get sold. Just incase I get to go again.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I've done 10 (There or thereabouts) trips to Morzine and the first morning of the first day is worth the price of the trip. My last trip cost 23k all in. That's why the old klunker DH bike won't get sold. Just incase I get to go again.

Arent you guys going again soon? I see Karl has been hinting.

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

How long did you spend there for this price? Bucket list!

4 hours ago, Sprockets said:

How long did you spend there for this price? Bucket list!

Guys I said please don't get me started! Now I'm all misty eyed pouring through my vids and pics.

I'm talking about the Portes Du Soleil in France. If you are on a time and money budget I reckon this is the best place to go. Well priced. Easy Access. Same timezone as us so no jetlag and 6 bikeparks in 2 countries all on the same lift pass.

To answer your question. 8 full days of riding and we had half a day on the day we arrived and half a day on the last day. We flew Turkish into Geneva. Which was more expensive but we got those extra half days. Something to consider if you have time constraints. When I say a half day we did 3600m of descending from 2pm when we got on the lifts till 5.30 when they closed.

We took a shared airport shuttle from the airport to Morzine so no need for a rental car.

This was shared accommodation (ROCK STAR) that my mate Karl and his girlfriend sourced. I did spend 1 night in a little hotel coz the flights and Karl's accommodation didn't line up 100% but that was 40 Euro BNB. Self catering is cheap if you share. Just be careful. You don't want to stay in a chalet halfway up an Alp. The food in the supermarkets is more or less the same price as here.

Some caveats.

1. I had a multi year visa

2. I don't drink so no big bar bills

3. I didn't have any hectic mechanicals

A rough budget

Flight 10k

Accom 7k

lift pass 2k

Airport shuttle R700

Visa R1200

Insurance R800

food and spending money. If you stay away from the bars and restaurants 15 Euro a day will do you easily. 

I see you live in PE. That bikepark setup there is owned by a guy who went with Karl in 2018. Speak to him. When you see his eyes glaze over and he starts babbling you'll begin to get an idea.

Edited by Duane_Bosch